Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper use of a nightstick, old school policing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I would add that as pointed out before by others, the role of a policeman was much different then. Usually alone, without radio communications, no cell phone, you had to take control of the situation quick.
    Batons are still used today in many countries and are very effective and are less then lethal, are you opposed to less than lethal?
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
      I would add that as pointed out before by others, the role of a policeman was much different then. Usually alone, without radio communications, no cell phone, you had to take control of the situation quick.
      Batons are still used today in many countries and are very effective and are less then lethal, are you opposed to less than lethal?
      I'm opposed to people attacking others behind a shield of authority because they are personally offended or don't like the person's attitude.
      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
        Not what I'm getting at. Public servants shouldn't have the right to beat people because they dislike their attitude.
        So am I, but what the hell does that have to do with a discussion about hardware?

        All I am saying is that the wooden nightstick looks a lot more useful and effective than a heart-attack inducing Taser.
        And it was better in the situation shown... if you watched it. The 2 punks had tried to rob a Doctor and then tried to double-team the Cop when he intervened. I don't think there is any grey area there.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

        -Captain Jack

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
          So am I, but what the hell does that have to do with a discussion about hardware?

          All I am saying is that the wooden nightstick looks a lot more useful and effective than a heart-attack inducing Taser.
          And it was better in the situation shown... if you watched it. The 2 punks had tried to rob a Doctor and then tried to double-team the Cop when he intervened. I don't think there is any grey area there.
          It was in response to a poster talking about how the use of said hardware was a good way to change attitudes.
          First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

          Comment


          • #20
            So you making a big point over some humorous post?
            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

            CPO Mzinyati

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by andrewza View Post
              So you making a big point over some humorous post?
              You make the mistake of assuming it was humor.
              First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                I'm opposed to people attacking others behind a shield of authority because they are personally offended or don't like the person's attitude.
                I am opposed to people attacking anyone because they want to do harm to them or steal from them.
                I am in favor of individuals being prepared to defend themselves and those who can not defend themselves from evil bastards, and I support LEOs.
                Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                  I am opposed to people attacking anyone because they want to do harm to them or steal from them.
                  I am in favor of individuals being prepared to defend themselves and those who can not defend themselves from evil bastards, and I support LEOs.
                  Again, refusal to acknowledge what I'm actually talking about.
                  First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                    Again, refusal to acknowledge what I'm actually talking about.
                    Then you are not making yourself clear.
                    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                      It was in response to a poster talking about how the use of said hardware was a good way to change attitudes.
                      It absolutely is a way to change attitudes from "Im not going" to.."ok, ok"..Control the mind to control the body....The escalation of force is totally up to the perp...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I happen to like Escrima, or kali sticks as you please.

                        A fine or nasty fighting style. Bugger fighting fair...
                        Credo quia absurdum.


                        Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          In practical terms ...

                          ... it's all crap. There's an intermediate between soft hand technique and baton/pepper spray/TASER that's existed for a great many years, but you won't find it on any Use of Force Continuum; a good old fashioned ... flashlight. And I'm not talking Maglite, just plain old gov't issue; they're innocuous, not very threatening overall, and they're often already in hand, or very close to it. Trust me, a good whack with a multiple D-cell type flashlight to the side of the head (none of this collarbone crap either) can turn an assaultive, into a submissive mumbly, in very short order, without much ado - now that's old school road copper policing, the days before "LEO's" performed katas in front of a mirror before they went in to work.



                          Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                          No kidding.
                          Nothing fancy, and note the prohibition on weighting the sticks, they had very specific formula based on what had been found to be the best thing over the previous generations of experience.

                          And the training, it was aimed at exploiting the mistakes of the suspects.
                          In other words- it was defensive for the police, and it was a hell of a good way to verify who the bad guys really were when they lunged at you.

                          26" .... and solid. That is a much better reach and much stronger than that telescoping baloney they use today, you can't block a kick or an overhand swing with a piece of pipe with that collapsable stuff they have today.

                          I also saw that they don't tell (didn't) the Cops to swing at the head. That makes me wonder; how many people were accidentally killed with those things vs how many people are killed with Tasers today.
                          "I am Groot"
                          - Groot

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                            ... it's all crap. There's an intermediate between soft hand technique and baton/pepper spray/TASER that's existed for a great many years, but you won't find it on any Use of Force Continuum; a good old fashioned ... flashlight. And I'm not talking Maglite, just plain old gov't issue; they're innocuous, not very threatening overall, and they're often already in hand, or very close to it. Trust me, a good whack with a multiple D-cell type flashlight to the side of the head (none of this collarbone crap either) can turn an assaultive, into a submissive mumbly, in very short order, without much ado - now that's old school road copper policing, the days before "LEO's" performed katas in front of a mirror before they went in to work.
                            Me like-um Maglites! Kill two birds with one tool, light up the target, knock his ass out!
                            A punch, actually a light tap to the ribs, gut, kidney or knee will suffice.
                            Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                            Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Bingo, ...

                              Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                              Me like-um Maglites! Kill two birds with one tool, light up the target, knock his ass out!
                              A punch, actually a light tap to the ribs, gut, kidney or knee will suffice.

                              ... while I never bothered to actually purchase a Maglite, they certainly had merit. The lens was of smaller diameter than gov't issue, and you could get a better alignment with the handgun barrel for target illumination during night shooting. While I left the road for GHQ back in 1989, and retired in 2012, I still have an old gov't issue flashlight in the basement, as well as a wooden baton, but no firearms.
                              "I am Groot"
                              - Groot

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                The big rechargeable streamlight is good for oh crap moments if you need to block a punch or get someone off of you. Problems arise if you use it as a matter of course for an impact weapon.
                                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X