Arby's employee refuses to serve police officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    No...they do not "get it for free". The cost is passed on to the other paying customers.

Incidentally, it is against police policies to permit the acceptance of free anything. It presents a potential conflict of interest for the officer.
    By free I meant free to the officer. Whether the owner is eating the cost of it or not I don't know. All I know is the food costs the same here as it does at McD's in the towns around us.

Police policy is set by the local police department. This has been going on here for over 30 years. Since the current Chief worked his way up from a lowly patrolman, I'm sure he availed himself of the free burgers more than once. I might add it's also how the city "jail" feeds it's prisoners. (I put jail in quotation marks because it's little more than a temporary holding facility) If they have someone in the city jail, and that person says they're hungry, they send an officer to McD's to get them a Big Mac, or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
      I respect a business which might provide a free lunch or dinner to a LE officer/firefighter. One day I'd like to open a Mexican food restaurant. My first job was at 16 working at a local Mexican type food restaurant. I can still make a great chimichanga btw. If I had my own restaurant I would provide free food to folks once I could afford it. I would have no problem saying to a cop, firefighter or anyone that Sir the burrito is on us.

Not all police agencies have the same policies.

As we know it is at the discretion of the business owner as to who gets free stuff. The cost does not get passed on to other paying customers as other paying customers will notice an overcharge.

If for example you think that only cops and firefighters get free food you are mistaken. I (a non LE officer) once received a free dinner combo from the Chinese guy at the place I go to for "Chinese" food. There must be hundreds of cases each day where a restaurant gives free food to someone.
      I think it should be up to the owners if they want to give out free food, as you said, but I think it makes sense for public employees like cops and firefighters to say 'no thanks' because it is against policy and it does present the possibility that there may be preferential treatment. Cops used to get free food, from what I understand, because restaurant owners wanted their presence to make their business appear to be a safe place, or in some cases to help keep away the undesirable elements. Also, I disagree that other customers don't pay for it...not directly--they don't add a charge to another customer's bill, but every expense of a business is paid for by the customers, so those free meals would be just part of the cost of doing business and would factor into prices they charge all their customers.

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
        By free I meant free to the officer.
        It's not free. The other customers pay for it as part of the cost of their food, which makes it a form of robbery or fraud, which makes the officer an accessory before, during and after a crime.

And, once again, free food creates a conflict of interest for the officer if he has to act at that establishment.

It's illegal in Colorado for that reason.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Part of what the corporation makes is a percentage of the gross tickets. The only times a free meal is sanctioned by the corporation is when there is some sort of screw-up that needs to be rectified in order to save corporate image and to repair customer relationships. The free meals given to the cops are most likely paid for by the owner(s) of the franchise at the standard discounted employee rates.

I've personally seen it. I have a friend that owns a Carl's Jr and when he bought me lunch I saw him pay for it. I also have a brother-in-law that owns a 7-Eleven and the same story there. He even has to pay for his own Slurpee.

There are cameras and the occasional corporate audit. They know exactly how many patties and buns they sold to you. They even count cups.
          Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
            Part of what the corporation makes is a percentage of the gross tickets. The only times a free meal is sanctioned by the corporation is when there is some sort of screw-up that needs to be rectified in order to save corporate image and to repair customer relationships. The free meals given to the cops are most likely paid for by the owner(s) of the franchise at the standard discounted employee rates.

I've personally seen it. I have a friend that owns a Carl's Jr and when he bought me lunch I saw him pay for it. I also have a brother-in-law that owns a 7-Eleven and the same story there. He even has to pay for his own Slurpee.

There are cameras and the occasional corporate audit. They know exactly how many patties and buns they sold to you. They even count cups.
            Correct. Our son managed a Red Robin for several years. Nothing is free, and the corporation watches the discounted meals like Mafia accountants.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
              I think it should be up to the owners if they want to give out free food, as you said, but I think it makes sense for public employees like cops and firefighters to say 'no thanks' because it is against policy and it does present the possibility that there may be preferential treatment. Cops used to get free food, from what I understand, because restaurant owners wanted their presence to make their business appear to be a safe place, or in some cases to help keep away the undesirable elements. Also, I disagree that other customers don't pay for it...not directly--they don't add a charge to another customer's bill, but every expense of a business is paid for by the customers, so those free meals would be just part of the cost of doing business and would factor into prices they charge all their customers.

The non corporate owned restaurants can give free food to folks, while maintaining decent prices. Seen it myself wrt some of the one person or maybe two or 3 person owned restaurants.

Comment

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
                The non corporate owned restaurants can give free food to folks, while maintaining decent prices. Seen it myself wrt some of the one person or maybe two or 3 person owned restaurants.
                No. The Franchise actually does not own that particular restaurant. It is an operator. If you go to Uncle Wang's Chop Suey it is as you say. But NOT at a franchise.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

No. The Franchise actually does not own that particular restaurant. It is an operator. If you go to Uncle Wang's Chop Suey it is as you say. But NOT at a franchise.
                  I'm taking about a single restaurant that might be owned by say one or a few folks. First job I had was working at a restaurant owned by one guy, he served free food on numerous occasions.

Comment

Sal

To be more specific I was talking about independently owned restaurants.

Comment

Current outcome of the “joke” the employee gets 2 days suspension with pay and the manager is fired.
                      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                        Current outcome of the “joke” the employee gets 2 days suspension with pay and the manager is fired.
                        More PC to fire a Latino over a black. Don't want a riot, do we?
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                          More PC to fire a Latino over a black. Don't want a riot, do we?
                          No. As I pointed out before - it was the manager who made the "joke", not the employee.
                          However, if I were the owners of Arby's I would be firing the manager in any case. Why? Because there are only two options here:
                          1. The employee did in fact say he didn't want to serve the officer, and the manager, for some reason, found it necessary to tell this to the officer instead of just serving the officer himself, keeping his mouth shut, and disciplining the employee later.
                          2. The employee did not say he didn't want to serve the officer, but the manager, for some reason, thought it would be funny to tell the officer that the employee objected to serving him.
                          Either case - the manager is a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                            No. As I pointed out before - it was the manager who made the "joke", not the employee.
                            However, if I were the owners of Arby's I would be firing the manager in any case. Why? Because there are only two options here:
                            1. The employee did in fact say he didn't want to serve the officer, and the manager, for some reason, found it necessary to tell this to the officer instead of just serving the officer himself, keeping his mouth shut, and disciplining the employee later.
                            2. The employee did not say he didn't want to serve the officer, but the manager, for some reason, thought it would be funny to tell the officer that the employee objected to serving him.
                            Either case - the manager is a moron.
                            Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
                              What apparently happened was this.
                              It was near closing time and the employee, apparently dealing with a number of customers, asked the manager to deal with the police officer.
                              The manager, apparently attempting a joke, told the police officer that the employee did not want to serve her because she was a police officer.
                              The officer, apparently taking this at face value, became concerned that the food she received may have been tampered with and took it into the store for a refund.
                              Story goes viral. People demanding employee and manager fired and Arby's boycotted.
                              This joke isn't so much offensive as it is stupid.
                              “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                              ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X