No announcement yet.

Another meaningless gesture by Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Indians, you lost, get over it. Don't worry though, eventually all those white man names will be replaced with Spanish ones.
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      Wrong. It is another meaningless gesture. It's no different than here in Phoenix where they renamed Squaw Peak Piewesta Peak after a US Army corporal who was killed in the Iraq invasion.

Other than her being:

A. Female

and

B. Native American

She did nothing to distinguish herself in combat. Her support unit blundered into an ambush and she was killed. As callous as that may sound, it is accurate.

But, because of A and B above they renamed a mountain for her.
      Naming places after dead service personnel? How utterly anti-American.
      "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
      G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
      Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Hi

It seems only 12 US Presidents have Mountains named after them, though they've been trying to get various peaks named as Mount Reagan for a number of years it seems, unsuccessfully-Who knew there was a US Board of Geographic Names http://geonames.usgs.gov/ I bet they have stressful work days

I wonder what the 'noise' would be in the US and by the ACG membership if the President decided to change the name of Negro Mountain
        The mountain was named after a slave who fought against the native Indians, but though his name was Nemesis, it was decided his skin colour would suffice

Regards

Andy H
        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          Squaw peak was the traditional name. Piewesta wasn't a "war hero," she was a casualty.
          Traditional name given by who?

The Alaskan opinion on the matter:

The mountain was officially recognized as Mt. McKinley in 1917, 21 years after a gold prospector named it after the-then presidential candidate to express support for his campaign. Though the Alaska Board on Geographic Names changed it to Denali in 1975, efforts to get the federal government to do so were met with opposition from Ohio's congressional delegation, particularly from Republican Rep. Ralph Regula, whose district included McKinley's hometown of Canton. Regula regularly led the charge in blocking legislation to rename the mountain until his retirement in 2009.
          Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...#ixzz3kORQTvR7

Why do you support, selectively, Federal power over the States?

By the way, McKinley was NOT the traditional name, never was. So now your making points against your own argument.
          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Having lived in Alaska and graduating at Colony High School in Palmer/Wasilla in the Mat-Su Valley I can attest to the fact that I have never once heard anyone from Alaska call the mountain anything but Denali. Not even my mayor at the time of graduation and former govoner Sarah Pailin if you want to be laughed at or show you are from "outside" say McKinley.
            Кто там?
            Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
            Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

I do have a little problem with Obama taking the McKinley name off of the mountain, since one of my grand-parents was a McKinley, (not related to the President), but it was named a bit more than 100 years ago for political purposes. If the natives were wanting the old name back so be it. Obama’s making good with the native population. Politics as usual. Nothing wrong with an Indian name, if it's good enough for a state then it ought to be good enough for a mountain.
              Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
                I do have a little problem with Obama taking the McKinley name off of the mountain, since one of my grand-parents was a McKinley, (not related to the President), but it was named a bit more than 100 years ago for political purposes. If the natives were wanting the old name back so be it. Obama’s making good with the native population. Politics as usual. Nothing wrong with an Indian name, if it's good enough for a state then it ought to be good enough for a mountain.
                It is more than a native thing. Nobody in the state, native or otherwise called that mountain McKinley. It was completely rejected by the population of the state.
                Кто там?

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                  It is more than a native thing. Nobody in the state, native or otherwise called that mountain McKinley. It was completely rejected by the population of the state.
                  Yupper, and if a GOP President had renamed it we'd never here much about it and we certainly would not have a thread about it here.
                  “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                  “To talk of many things:
                  Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                  Of cabbages—and kings—
                  And why the sea is boiling hot—
                  And whether pigs have wings.”
                  ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Having lived in Alaska and graduating at Colony High School in Palmer/Wasilla in the Mat-Su Valley I can attest to the fact that I have never once heard anyone from Alaska call the mountain anything but Denali. Not even my mayor at the time of graduation and former govoner Sarah Pailin if you want to be laughed at or show you are from "outside" say McKinley.
                    They do if they read maps, or look up "tallest mountains".

If the name doesn't mater, why re-name it in the first place?

The question no one is asking is: What's in it for BS Barry, because he doesn't care one bit about the Alaskan "natives".
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      They do if they read maps, or look up "tallest mountains".

If the name doesn't mater, why re-name it in the first place?

The question no one is asking is: What's in it for BS Barry, because he doesn't care one bit about the Alaskan "natives".
                      Nope, they call it Denali. But what do I know, I only lived and went to school there.
                      Кто там?

Comment

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), chairwoman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, had introduced legislation to change the federal designation. Alaska Republican Sen. Daniel Sullivan, who was born in Ohio, is a cosponsor.
                        Ohio Rep. Bob Gibbs, a fellow Republican who has introduced a House bill aimed at retaining McKinley’s name on the peak, could not immediately be reached for comment Sunday.
                        Sounds more like a Republican Food Fight to me.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...830-story.html
                        Blackcloud6

Refighting World War II - One hex at a time!

Comment

Originally posted by eric3446 View Post
                          It seems like a perfectly reasonable gesture. I don't see the problem here.
                          There is no problem except the usual ones made by foolish people.

I have id the name Denali with it for more than 20 years.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Nope, they call it Denali. But what do I know, I only lived and went to school there.

Is that a reflection on the school systems up there?
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                              Named after the park, not the mountain. Mt McKinley is in Denali National Park.

And "Denali" is a trim package on some GMC trucks, not Chevys.
                              Not really. The park used to be called Mt McKinley National Park. Chevy/GM--same truck, different badge.

Comment

Seems not everybody is happy about it either...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...M7?ocid=SMSDHP

Obama's move to strip the mountain of its name honoring former President William McKinley drew loud condemnations from Ohio lawmakers, including Republican Rep. Bob Gibbs, who said he planned to work with his colleagues to see what they could do to stop it.

"This political stunt is insulting to all Ohioans, and I will be working with the House Committee on Natural Resources to determine what can be done to prevent this action," Gibbs said.

House Speaker John Boehner said he was deeply disappointed in the decision to rename the mountain.

Yet Obama was to navigate far more turbulent political waters when he arrived Monday afternoon in Anchorage, where his grand declarations on climate change have been met with skepticism by leaders in a state that's heavily dependent on oil revenues that have fallen precipitously.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X