An insane University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Massena View Post
    And if that is so, a comparison cannot be made with rugby, which is nothing more than a game of keepaway that we used to play as kids.
    Actually I have to go with Karri on this one. I played both High School and College Football, and then later I played Rugby on the 24th Infantry Division team and for the Savannah Knights. Rugby was more brutal, because it is one thing to smash into guys wearing full pads but another to do it wearing nothing but a cotton uniform.

Rugby is not meant to be a full contact sport, but trust me, it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Martok View Post
      Actually I have to go with Karri on this one. I played both High School and College Football, and then later I played Rugby on the 24th Infantry Division team and for the Savannah Knights. Rugby was more brutal, because it is one thing to smash into guys wearing full pads but another to do it wearing nothing but a cotton uniform.

Rugby is not meant to be a full contact sport, but trust me, it is.

I have little knowledge of rugby but recognize it looks brutal, but wonder if the difference between football and rugby relates to the degree of injury.

I wonder if football players end up being subject to more catastrophic injuries simply due to the fact that opposing players can throw themselves at each other in a manner that rugby players would not.
      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
        And the trees were all kept equal by hatchet, axe and saw.
        Oh hell yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnC88xBPkkc

That takes me back a ways.

Comment

. . . . the Queen's English was the rule and that if he, or anyone else, didn't speak proper English in the classroom I wouldn't talk or respond to them. . . . .
          So if some bloke submitted "honor" or "color" or "program," then you would reject them out of hand?
          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Here's something puzzling: if we need to start calling people zirs, zyxs, and whatever, what happens to the pictures they put on bathroom doors? Since they don't want things gender specific, you can't very well put a zir with pants and a zyx with a skirt on the door (or the other way around, I'm not sure which is which). You'd need a gender-neutral figure there, which would lead to everyone wondering which bathroom to go in. Personally, I'd see this as an opportunity to walk into the zyx's room and check out the funbags! Unless zyx's are dudes, in which case avert my eyes from the funbags!

Comment

Here's what happens:

Comment

Originally posted by Savez View Post
                "Once I had a girl on Rocky Top,
                Half him the other half her;
                Wild as a mink as sweet as soda pop,
                I still dream about zir."

Roll Tide!
                Is that verse in the Osborne Brothers rendition?
                Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
                  Here's something puzzling: if we need to start calling people zirs, zyxs, and whatever, what happens to the pictures they put on bathroom doors? Since they don't want things gender specific, you can't very well put a zir with pants and a zyx with a skirt on the door (or the other way around, I'm not sure which is which). You'd need a gender-neutral figure there, which would lead to everyone wondering which bathroom to go in. Personally, I'd see this as an opportunity to walk into the zyx's room and check out the funbags! Unless zyx's are dudes, in which case avert my eyes from the funbags!
                  You know, I went to German-themed restaurant in the local Big City earlier this week and became very confused. I approached the restroom labeled "Herrn" and, since I am not a "her", I went to the one labeled "Damen" since I am one of "da men." Very confusing, nicht wahr?
                  Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

Could be worse... There used to be a bar in Tucson that had the bathrooms labeled men and women. The only problem was the signs were on arrows that pointed at the other restroom...

Comment

Another quote from the instructions provided to students and staff:

In the first weeks of classes, instead of calling roll, ask everyone to provide their name and pronouns. This ensures you are not singling out transgender or non-binary students. The name a student uses may not be the one on the official roster, and the roster name may not be the same gender as the one the student now uses.

This practice works outside of the classroom as well. You can start meetings with requesting introductions that include names and pronouns, introduce yourself with your name and chosen pronouns, or when providing nametags, ask attendees to write in their name and pronouns.
                      I can't imagine the chaos this would cause if you actually tried this. Every person you meet you'd need to ask their name and pronoun, and then try to remember both? "Hi, my name is Steve and you can comfortably use xyr and xym as my chosen pronouns, rather than the gender my uncaring parents assigned to me at birth, based simply on my genitalia. And your name and pronoun is...?"
                      By the way, to set the record straight and avoid gender confusion, the gender assigned to me at birth and with which I still identify is 'man'. Yes, that's right they saw my genitalia and assigned 'Man' as my gender...what can I say?

Comment

...non-binary students...
                        What the hell is a non-binary student? One that is octal, maybe hexadecimal? What kind of re.... (persons of diminished mental capacity) comes up with this stuff?

"Hi, my chosen pronoun is ACF13D and my name is 3C10DFF as I've chosen to be a non-binary, hexadecimal student."

Of course those students who are binary might be referred to as 10110101100 10110010010111010...
                        Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 03 Sep 15, 17:00.

Comment

And then they graduate to figure skating...
                          Can you imagine a real man doing this?

Or even trying to?

"A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
                            Can you imagine a real man doing this?

Or even trying to?

What? Bending like that or getting into that skimpy tight outfit...?

Comment

Both, though I wouldn't want to see the latter... ughh
                              "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by guthrieba View Post
                                You know, I went to German-themed restaurant in the local Big City earlier this week and became very confused. I approached the restroom labeled "Herrn" and, since I am not a "her", I went to the one labeled "Damen" since I am one of "da men." Very confusing, nicht wahr?

That was funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

At least these are very clear which is which.

"Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X