Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama to hit US power plants with tougher than expected emissions cuts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
    I'm an expert at digging holes...... the electric........gonna have to have that done by someone knowledgeable.......thanks for the stats... good to know
    The power side of the electric is not really that hard. Use 353 MCM aluminum SE direct burial cable for ease of install in a trench at least 36" deep or install 4" PVC NM conduit with 353 MCM THW aluminum cable. Two hots and a 0000 neutral / ground will do the trick.

    The tricky part is designing and installing the hook up to your service panel. You'll need some additional equipment if you want to keep your utility service as a back up.

    If you have natural gas available to the lot then it's really the best choice. No separate tank necessary. Just pay for the gas used each month from your utility provider.

    Comment


    • #32
      Yeah I remember pulling cables up a quarter mile to wire my place.

      Goose grease? Merde...
      Credo quia absurdum.


      Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
        Yeah I remember pulling cables up a quarter mile to wire my place.

        Goose grease? Merde...
        That's why you shoot a rope through the conduit and use a tractor or pick up to pull the cable...

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          That's why you shoot a rope through the conduit and use a tractor or pick up to pull the cable...
          "Shoot a rope through a conduit"? Good luck with that...and pulling with a tractor has a high probability of separating the wire inside the insulation. Talk about Red Neck Electric Company...

          Meanwhile, back on topic, 16 states have filed to suspend the EPA regs pending a court case. (posted separately)

          We have a back-up generator that we can crank up and hook up to keep the critical stuff operating.

          Wonder what happens if those states just refuse to follow what are illegal regulations to begin with? States rights, anyone?
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            "Shoot a rope through a conduit"? Good luck with that...and pulling with a tractor has a high probability of separating the wire inside the insulation. Talk about Red Neck Electric Company...


            You use a mouse and a string. Compressed air pushes the mouse, attach the rope to the string and voila! Rope through the conduit.



            I've pulled heavy large wire through conduit with a forklift, pickup, tractor, or whatever else is available. Often, it works better than a wench. In any case you put a "Kellems" or pull sock on the cable



            Its like a Chinese finger puzzle. The harder you pull the tighter it gets. I've done this more than a few times. Right equipment from the start and things go good.

            Meanwhile, back on topic, 16 states have filed to suspend the EPA regs pending a court case. (posted separately)

            We have a back-up generator that we can crank up and hook up to keep the critical stuff operating.

            Wonder what happens if those states just refuse to follow what are illegal regulations to begin with? States rights, anyone?
            Yep, it's not looking good for the EPA. And, I suspect the revolt against federal regulations will start at some point.
            Also, Congress is moving to pass legislation that overturns these regs as well. Even if Obama were to veto these, it is another indication to the courts that "the people" aren't pleased with his regulations and Congress doesn't agree with his claims of authority to bypass them.
            All the courts would have to say is "Mister President, get the okay from Congress and you can have your regulations..." That would absolutely **** Obama off to no end.

            Comment


            • #36
              ^ QUOTE: "Often, it works better than a wench."

              I can think of better things to do with a wench than have her pull string/rope thru a conduit.
              http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wench
              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                ^ QUOTE: "Often, it works better than a wench."

                I can think of better things to do with a wench than have her pull string/rope thru a conduit.
                http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wench
                You just need the right one. With the right one she'll pull the cable through on suction alone...

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  The power side of the electric is not really that hard. Use 353 MCM aluminum SE direct burial cable for ease of install in a trench at least 36" deep or install 4" PVC NM conduit with 353 MCM THW aluminum cable. Two hots and a 0000 neutral / ground will do the trick.

                  The tricky part is designing and installing the hook up to your service panel. You'll need some additional equipment if you want to keep your utility service as a back up.

                  If you have natural gas available to the lot then it's really the best choice. No separate tank necessary. Just pay for the gas used each month from your utility provider.
                  If you could pay wellhead prices, it would be ideal. Utility prices are quite a bit higher.
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    If you could pay wellhead prices, it would be ideal. Utility prices are quite a bit higher.
                    If an electric utility's per KWh cost to me (or anyone) rises above about $.25 a KWh, it becomes cheaper to generate your own electricity using gasoline, diesel, natural gas, or propane at retail prices today.

                    That should tell you something about what a major fail solar and wind are. In Europe where electricity is $.20 to $.40 a KWh the only thing keeping someone from using a small generator and making their own electricity is the artificially high price of fuels due entirely to massive taxation of them.

                    I could see many companies at $.30 a KWh opting to go to using a diesel or natural gas generator over continued purchase of electrical power from a regulated utility. It would simply be far cheaper for them to do that.
                    I could also see Progressives like Obama calling for massive tax increases of carbon based fuels to prevent this from happening.

                    But, it shows how the unintended consequences of myopic policy based on feelings, emotions, and desires. That's the Left for you. A massive fail.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      I've pulled heavy large wire through conduit with a forklift, pickup, tractor, or whatever else is available. Often, it works better than a wench.
                      I imagine so...all the "wenches" I've ever met weren't that good with conduits!

                      I will yield to your superior knowledge and experience. I always just pre-thread the wire through the conduit as I assemble it and then bury the whole thing. Don't need a mouse, an air compressor or a tractor. Don't even need a red neck!
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        I imagine so...all the "wenches" I've ever met weren't that good with conduits!

                        I will yield to your superior knowledge and experience. I always just pre-thread the wire through the conduit as I assemble it and then bury the whole thing. Don't need a mouse, an air compressor or a tractor. Don't even need a red neck!
                        Now, that is the redneck method. It's also prohibited in the NEC to do that...

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Drifting somewhat back to topic, EPA, etc.;
                          EPA Dumps One Million Gallons of Wastewater Into Colorado River

                          The Environmental Protection Agency, the federal agency committed to protecting “human health and the environment,” jeopardized both Wednesday by accidentally releasing one million gallons of wastewater into Colorado’s Animas River.
                          EPA bureaucrats were using heavy machinery to nose around the Gold King Mine near Durango, Colorado, when they triggered the release of wastewater containing heavy metals like zinc, iron, and copper.
                          ...
                          http://freebeacon.com/issues/epa-dum...olorado-river/
                          TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Are there any "EPA bureaucrats" that are certified as operating engineers or even competent on their own to operate something like a bulldozer?

                            But, since this is the evil mining company's fault for operating the mine to begin with, the EPA shouldn't be blamed...

                            Comment

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X