Entitlement Mentality in the Insurance Industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement Mentality in the Insurance Industry

I've noticed a trend in car insurance ads as of late. You can tell me whether or not I'm being overly cranky.

It appears to me that the entitlement mentality so common in today's society has started creeping into commerce - or at least commerce is starting to pander to said entitled. I find both of these commercials incredibly obnoxious. In the first commercial the speaker says "Hey insurance companies, news flash. Nobody's perfect." To which I feel like saying "News flash, don't rear end people you moron." The second commercial is even dumber. There the speaker whines about insurance companies jacking your rates up for hitting a tree.

Trees are large stationary objects. They don't dart out in front of you like squirrels. If you hit one, it's because you're an idiot. And if you're stupid enough to hit one, you deserve to have your rates hiked. Consider it a dumb tax and next time pay more attention to your surroundings than your damn smartphone.

I don't do business with Liberty Mutual, but it still annoys me because these ads are both pandering to and enabling stupidity. People should be punished for making dumb moves like hitting trees. There should be a financial incentive for them not to do that. It makes me wonder if other customers have to endure higher rates to subsidize this accident, or more accurately, idiot forgiveness. It also makes me wonder if this will lengthen the times it takes stupid drivers to learn from their stupidity and start driving properly. If they don't get their hand slapped. they never learn. And it's better to slap the hand earlier than later.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

The insurer's looking out for their bottom line. Believe me: if you hit a tree five minutes after leaving the showroom, they'll not only deduct the car's depreciation, but they'll jack up your premium too. But if this goofy ad campaign attracts just few new prospects, then it was well worth it. Your complaint really isn't about the advertiser: it's about the schmucks who'll switch over in response to it.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

They're probably trying to target a specific segment of the market, that is to say bad drivers who are unhappy that they have to pay for being bad drivers. The insurance company is pandering to them and prepared to offer low quality, low cost plans that "forgive" people for making dumb mistakes. That or they're just trying to play to people's emotions in order to sell them exactly the same insurance plan as everyone else, rate hikes and all, that they won't know about until it happens cause they probably never read the policy in the first place.
      "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Your complaint is probably well meaning, but it overlooks the greed of the auto insurance industry, and all of the hidden costs that they pass on to their customers, like charging us for uninsured drivers - that's illegal aliens these days - and cranking up insurance rates even when the accident is no fault of the driver at all, like parking your car and coming back to find some jackass has smashed into it and fled the scene without leaving any information. In what way would that be your fault or mine? It isn't, but we get charged for it as though we were at fault.

The points the ads make are excellent ones:

1. Any time you use your insurance, they jack up the rates. The purpose of insurance is to cover accidents, not to allow charging more unless you are the one seriously at fault. Of course, insurance companies have gone over to the "no fault" model, meaning they don;t even try to decide who is responsible any more - they just crank up both party's rates and smile on their way to the bank.

2. "Nobody's perfect". Excellent point, and I'm surprised that you don't get it. That's the whole reason why we have insurance in the first place, because we make mistakes and accidents happen to us.

3. Depreciation is a joke. If your vehicle is totaled, especially through no fault of your own, you need a replacement,, period, which you have already paid for over the years many times over in the form of premiums. And new car depreciation is a form of legal robbery.

I personally am shopping as we speak for auto insurance that understands the reality of the world we live in and cars more about me than it does making record profits.

You should be doing the same. It's high time to reform the insurance industry.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Yea, what they aren't telling you is the rate is higher for a "new car replacement" policy than the standard one, etc.

They also don't tell you there is zero evidence there is any correlation between tickets outside of accidents and a likelihood of getting into an accident but up go your rates for that too. As I'd put it to the insurer, you are insuring me against accidents, not tickets...

Depreciation is taken by the insurer "up front." That is, they depreciate your car by a full year since that is legally allowed in accounting practice and tax law.

I also think it is wholly wrong that an insurer can raise your rate for a single use of the insurance. Isn't that why you purchased it to begin with?

Comment

I suspect the initial quote the insurance companies give these morons is for having one more accident than is on their driving records.

Then, if the moron has an accident, the insurance company doesn't have to jack up their premiums since they are already paying for it.

This makes the moron feel good, even though he is initially getting screwed.

These ads are definitely targeted at Obama voters.

Comment

Originally posted by rkohut View Post
              I suspect the initial quote the insurance companies give these morons is for having one more accident than is on their driving records.

Then, if the moron has an accident, the insurance company doesn't have to jack up their premiums since they are already paying for it.

This makes the moron feel good, even though he is initially getting screwed.

These ads are definitely targeted at Obama voters.

Commercials trying to get customers are targeted at Obama voters? I highly doubt it.
              First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Should we push for No Fault insurance for automobiles?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-f..._no-fault_laws
                Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                  Should we push for No Fault insurance for automobiles?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-f..._no-fault_laws

No, I live in a no fault state and it's BS.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Your complaint is probably well meaning, but it overlooks the greed of the auto insurance industry, and all of the hidden costs that they pass on to their customers, like charging us for uninsured drivers - that's illegal aliens these days - and cranking up insurance rates even when the accident is no fault of the driver at all, like parking your car and coming back to find some jackass has smashed into it and fled the scene without leaving any information. In what way would that be your fault or mine? It isn't, but we get charged for it as though we were at fault.

1. Any time you use your insurance, they jack up the rates. The purpose of insurance is to cover accidents, not to allow charging more unless you are the one seriously at fault. Of course, insurance companies have gone over to the "no fault" model, meaning they don;t even try to decide who is responsible any more - they just crank up both party's rates and smile on their way to the bank.

2. "Nobody's perfect". Excellent point, and I'm surprised that you don't get it. That's the whole reason why we have insurance in the first place, because we make mistakes and accidents happen to us.

3. Depreciation is a joke. If your vehicle is totaled, especially through no fault of your own, you need a replacement,, period, which you have already paid for over the years many times over in the form of premiums. And new car depreciation is a form of legal robbery.

I personally am shopping as we speak for auto insurance that understands the reality of the world we live in and cars more about me than it does making record profits.

They can do what they want, we are legally obligated to have insurance.
                    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The cost of your insurance is based on risk.
                      If you make a claim, (have an accident) that factors into future risk and "can" cause your rates to go up. But not always.

Depreciation is not a manufactured concept of the insurance industry.
                      Try getting someone to buy your car for the same price you paid 6 months after you bought it. No one will take that deal and yet you think it unreasonable for the insurance industry to operate the same way.
                      If you want full value replacement, I am sure you can pay extra for that option. That isn't a new idea.

Your claim for the replacement of your car is based on its current value, not the value on the day you bought it. Current value requires we know how much the car has depreciated. By the way, pretty much everything mechanical depreciates in value.

The real purpose of insurance is to protect others from your negligence.
                      You don't have to buy insurance to protect your vehicle and having UM/UIM coverage also used to be option, but liability insurance was always a requirement once insurance was made mandatory.
                      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by rkohut View Post
                        ...These ads are definitely targeted at Obama voters...
                        These ads are targeted at anybody who happens to watch them.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                          The insurer's looking out for their bottom line. Believe me: if you hit a tree five minutes after leaving the showroom, they'll not only deduct the car's depreciation, but they'll jack up your premium too. But if this goofy ad campaign attracts just few new prospects, then it was well worth it. Your complaint really isn't about the advertiser: it's about the schmucks who'll switch over in response to it.
                          True... but everybody is.

Just drive off the lot with your new car... then try to sell it back to (say the dealer). It has already depreciated.

The bad thing about these commercials to me is that they 'say' that they offer discounts for good drivers, accident forgiveness, dwi good rates, etc

but: all the companies do this.

I sometimes wonder how rich Geico and Progressive would be if they didn't advertise constantly.
                          The reason they have this money advantage anyway is because their agent commissions are lower than other companies.
                          It seems to work well for them tho. Many like the lizard and Flo... but I am sick of seeing them EVERYWHERE.

Those that say so and may have accident forgiveness... but that doesn't mean they will not cancel or later raise your insurance premium. They also act like jerks in many cases... just because you do have a claim with them.
                          Especially to other company customers.
                          SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                            The cost of your insurance is based on risk.
                            If you make a claim, (have an accident) that factors into future risk and "can" cause your rates to go up. But not always.
                            This is not entirely true. Much of your rate is based on other people's risk.

Try this: Go to Progressive or one of the companies that compares rates on line and put in different zip codes near where you live. Watch your rate go up and down by as much as hundreds of dollars. It could do this for a zip code change just blocks from where you live.

Owning a "High performance" car will set you back more as if you suddenly turned into one of the Duke brothers...

Tickets outside of accidents? Rate goes up even though there is no statistical proof that you are more of a risk.

How does my owning a house (having homeowner's on the same policy) or multiple vehicles insured change my risk? But, it sure changes my rate...

Your rate is based mainly on the following:

The zip code in which you live is the defining area for setting your rate. The company bases it on expected sales versus expected payouts in the next period the rate is set for. That is if the company expects to take in $1 million in sales and pay out $900,000 in costs to make a 10% profit (or whatever the government allows them to make) and there are 1000 customers in that area then your rate is going to be $1000. That can only increase by you having some set of risk factors. $1000 is the cheapest insurance you will find from that company.
                            Rates vary by company because their individual track record in your zip code varies as does the number of customers they have.

That's it. That in a nutshell is how auto insurers are ripping you off...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              Yea, what they aren't telling you is the rate is higher for a "new car replacement" policy than the standard one, etc.

They also don't tell you there is zero evidence there is any correlation between tickets outside of accidents and a likelihood of getting into an accident but up go your rates for that too. As I'd put it to the insurer, you are insuring me against accidents, not tickets...

Depreciation is taken by the insurer "up front." That is, they depreciate your car by a full year since that is legally allowed in accounting practice and tax law.

I also think it is wholly wrong that an insurer can raise your rate for a single use of the insurance. Isn't that why you purchased it to begin with?
                              You left out the best part - we are required by law to have the insurance - a real gimme deal for thr insurance companies.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X