Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet the Ancestors

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33680128

"Scientists say they have identified the remains of four men who were among the early leaders of Virginia's Jamestown settlement."

Just remember, you could have had the Spanish instead of us!
    Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

^ We'd have had better food.

Rimshot
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Escape2Victory View Post
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33680128

"Scientists say they have identified the remains of four men who were among the early leaders of Virginia's Jamestown settlement."

Just remember, you could have had the Spanish instead of us!
      Jamestown was British from the get-go, so where you get "Spanish" from is a mystery.

Now, if they can just find the vanished colony of Roanoke...
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Rimshot
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Yeah, but we'd be called Mexico...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            ...if they can just find the vanished colony of Roanoke...
            The Spanish took them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Jamestown was British from the get-go, so where you get "Spanish" from is a mystery.

Now, if they can just find the vanished colony of Roanoke...
              Jamestown was English from the get go, established 1607, long before the act of the Union. As for Spanish I assume he meant they could have been first; suggesting you would have been speaking Spanish instead of English today.

Of course, had the French kicked the English out you most likely would have spoken French today.
              Last edited by walle; 29 Jul 15, 10:38.

Comment

Rimshot
                +1
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by walle View Post
                  Jamestown was English from the get go, established 1607, long before the act of the Union.
                  But with a Scotsman on the English throne. The Acts of Union were a century away, but can we simply assume that ventures such as Jamestown were strictly English-only affairs?

Comment

But with a Scotsman on the English throne. The Acts of Union were a century away, but can we simply assume that ventures such as Jamestown were strictly English-only affairs?
                    Short answer...yes.

Credit where credit is due. I don't see a reason to include the Scots and the Welsh on this one. Americans often make the mistake of morphing the Scots, the Welsh, and the English.

Actually they have a habit of doing the same with the Europeans come to think of it.
                    Last edited by walle; 29 Jul 15, 11:49.

Comment

Originally posted by walle View Post
                      Short answer...yes.

Credit where credit is due. I don't see a reason to include the Scots and the Welsh on this one. Americans often make the mistake of morphing the Scots, the Welsh, and the English.
                      For purposes of this discussion, include Welsh with English: Wales had been legally a part of the Kingdom of England since the days of Edward I. The first of the Long Island's Davis's, Ffulke Davis, possibly of Glamorganshire, was deeded a few acres of Southhampton LI NY in 1642. Local lore held that Ffulke was some kind of property manager for Lion Gardiner, and was deeded the land as a reward for good service. And no, the Davis's are no relations of mine: they are quite possibly the most unpleasant people on the face of the planet.

And since the monarch who chartered the Virginia Company was in fact Scottish, I'd still view the Jamestown venture as a British affair, not English.

Comment

Pretty much, ...

... the Scots had their own colonies. Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Is. are well known, but their venture into ... Panama (I'm serious), better known as Darien, an enterprise of the Scottish Gov't backed "The Company of Scotland Trading to Africa and the Indies", equivalent of England's East Indies Co., and intended to compete with, went bust. Scotland was near bankrupted, conditions were ripe for an English buy-out i.e. "1707 Acts of Union".

But look at it this way, the food coulda been even worse, unless you find the "Haggis, Neeps and Tatties Taco Special" from McDonalds Corporation of New Caledonia appealing? "Porridge McNuggets" anyone?
                        Last edited by Marmat; 30 Jul 15, 09:51.
                        "I am Groot"
                        - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                          ... the Scots had their own colonies. Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Is. are well known, but their venture into ... Panama (I'm serious), better known as Darien, an enterprise of the Scottish Gov't backed "The Company of Scotland Trading to Africa and the Indies", equivalent of England's East Indies Co., and intended to compete with, went bust. Scotland was near bankrupted, conditions were ripe for an English buy-out i.e. "1707 Acts of Union".
                          Heard about that one years ago: floated like a lead zeppelin, it did.

How come none of those wacky Scottish business ventures ever succeeded before Union? I mean, no British or even English colonial venture took off quite like Jardine-Matheson.

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                          But look at it this way, the food coulda been even worse, unless you find the "Haggis, Neeps and Tatties Taco Special" from McDonalds Corporation of New Caledonia appealing? "Porridge McNuggets" anyone?
                          Sweet Jesus! I'm nauseous just thinking about it. It's why my ancestors left that dimly-lit peat bog in the first place, to get away from that swill.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X