Seattle Pushing For Sharia Mortgages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
    I don't have a problem with arrangements so that Muslims who practice sharia are compliant with their faith. What I do find disturbing is how the same people who are bending over backwards to placate Muslims, are at the very same time, taking such aggressive action against Christians.
    Remember, Nikki, it feels good.
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

We shouldn't be doing anything to accommodate outsiders, muslim or otherwise. If you move to the US, it should be to live as an American.

Banks operate a certain way here in the US. If that violates your religion, what are you doing here?
      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
        We shouldn't be doing anything to accommodate outsiders, muslim or otherwise. If you move to the US, it should be to live as an American.

Banks operate a certain way here in the US. If that violates your religion, what are you doing here?
        Gee, seems like freedom to practice your religion might have been a draw to some very early immigrants to this country... some time in the 1600's....
        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
        “To talk of many things:
        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        And why the sea is boiling hot—
        And whether pigs have wings.”
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Post deleted for proscribed personal attack - ACG staff
          Last edited by Skoblin; 24 Jul 15, 12:40.
          Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
            Why do people suddenly OD on stupid pills whenever they see the word 'sharia'? You do understand that there is more than one way for a bank to make money off a loan than interest? Please tell me that you do.
            Why do people suddenly OD on a-hole pills whenever they see someone comment on something on a forum?

Thank you for your helpful post. I do understand that banks can make money in other ways other than interest but what I didn't understand was how paying fees is acceptable to these borrowers when paying interest isn't. I misunderstood and thought the religious objection was about the payment of these bank charges to lenders...if it's really just about the word 'interest' and they can get around that by calling it a 'fee' then they can all be happy. Also, I don't have any problem with sharia anything, despite what you think. I was mainly concerned that someone might find a way to pay less due to religious concerns, I actually couldn't care less about what religion it is (they're all equally retarded in my opinion). Thanks again for posting in such a respectful way.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
              Why do people suddenly OD on a-hole pills whenever they see someone comment on something on a forum?

Thank you for your helpful post. I do understand that banks can make money in other ways other than interest but what I didn't understand was how paying fees is acceptable to these borrowers when paying interest isn't. I misunderstood and thought the religious objection was about the payment of these bank charges to lenders...if it's really just about the word 'interest' and they can get around that by calling it a 'fee' then they can all be happy. Also, I don't have any problem with sharia anything, despite what you think. I was mainly concerned that someone might find a way to pay less due to religious concerns, I actually couldn't care less about what religion it is (they're all equally retarded in my opinion). Thanks again for posting in such a respectful way.
              For the same reason why some Homosexuals will not accept "Civil Union" but insist on the word "Marriage". And the same reason why it suddenly becomes okay for someone whom everyone knows not to be ill to smoke pot just because of a "prescription" from some quack.

Charging interest is also forbidden in the Old Testament. Most Christians don't care...but I would imagine there are special loans designed for really observant Jews and Catholics.

"And in case your brother grows poor so he is financially weak alongside you, you must also sustain him. As an alien resident and a settler, he must keep alive with you. Do not take interest and usury from him, but you must be in fear of your God; and your brother must keep alive with you. You must not give your money on interest, and you must not give your food out on usury.” - Leviticus.
              Last edited by Salinator; 24 Jul 15, 13:55.
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                For the same reason why some Homosexuals will not accept "Civil Union" but insist on the word "Marriage". And the same reason why it suddenly becomes okay for someone whom everyone knows not to be ill to smoke pot just because of a "prescription" from some quack.

Charging interest is also forbidden in the Old Testament. Most Christians don't care...but I would imagine there are special loans designed for really observant Jews and Catholics.

"And in case your brother grows poor so he is financially weak alongside you, you must also sustain him. As an alien resident and a settler, he must keep alive with you. Do not take interest and usury from him, but you must be in fear of your God; and your brother must keep alive with you. You must not give your money on interest, and you must not give your food out on usury.” - Leviticus.

Apparently, Leviticus never lived anywhere near civilization.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I don't agree. This country was good to my family when we immigrated here. It should be that way for anyone who want to work hard and become law-abiding Americans. Not everyone who come to this country mean it harm.

I've checked, banks already have loan packages geared toward minorities and religions. This is nothing new.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
                    Why do people not spend 5 minutes on google before making incorrect assumptions & then putting them up online? Seeing it time & again is extremely frustrating & tends to erode one's patience.

Thank you for your helpful post. I do understand that banks can make money in other ways other than interest but what I didn't understand was how paying fees is acceptable to these borrowers when paying interest isn't. I misunderstood and thought the religious objection was about the payment of these bank charges to lenders...if it's really just about the word 'interest' and they can get around that by calling it a 'fee' then they can all be happy.
                    Its about structure rather than labels. Its inherently illogical, but if logic was important religion would be out of business.

Also, I don't have any problem with sharia anything, despite what you think. I was mainly concerned that someone might find a way to pay less due to religious concerns, I actually couldn't care less about what religion it is (they're all equally retarded in my opinion). Thanks again for posting in such a respectful way.
                    I have a serious problem with some aspects of Sharia law, but this isn't one of them. Its just another way to borrow & lend money. Unfortunately some people see 'Sharia' or 'Halal' and lose possession of their logical faculties....presuming they in command of them to begin with.

I'm struck by the delicious irony that we spent most of the past 2000 years persecuting Jews for their connection to usury. Now we have people going apeshit because some Muslims object to it. Sorta makes you wonder.
                    Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                      I don't agree. This country was good to my family when we immigrated here. It should be that way for anyone who want to work hard and become law-abiding Americans. Not everyone who come to this country mean it harm.
                      It is that way.

What I'm saying is that the same rules should apply to everybody. No special consideration, in any way, because of your religion.
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

It is that way.

What I'm saying is that the same rules should apply to everybody. No special consideration, in any way, because of your religion.
                        That boat sailed centuries ago, sorry.

What I can't work out is why you are singling out the financial industry for creating religion-specific products? (actually, I already know, but its useful to point out how absurd this is). Holiday companies aim packages at particular religious groups - plan to make a fuss about that? How about Christian theme parks - they going to cop it? Companies that make specifically religious clothing & print religious books in your sights?. There are religious schools & even businesses run by religions. Businesses all over the US are allowed to make a profit from religion, yet for some reason religious finance is bad?

Of course, it isn't bad when Christians do it. They already do. There are plenty of companies offering 'Christian finance' in line with Christian principles.

http://www.timothyplan.com/?gclid=Cj...hg4aAg6z8P8HAQ

http://www.ciswealth.com/

People can even invest money through their religions in some cases.

I'm going to assume you either didn't know or didn't care about all of that until 'the Muslims' got in on the act. The moment 'Sharia' appears in the wording then you go all 'the same rules apply to everyone'. Well guess what, the rules are still the same. All that has changed is that a group you don't like is going to get its own range of financial products, just like everyone else does.

Oh, and while we are at it:

Banks operate a certain way here in the US. If that violates your religion, what are you doing here
                        Last time I checked the way finance 'operates' in the US plunged the world into its worst economic crisis since the 1930s, so I wouldn't be getting too self righteous about it. In fact, the way finance in the US 'operates' has actually benefitted Islamic finance:

Islamic finance expert Ibrahim Warde of Tufts University told USA TODAY that Sharia-compliant financing has become "a fairly global phenomena."

"Islamic finance in general has benefited from the financial crisis largely because Islamic institutions have done better than the conventional ones," Warde said. "One of the fundamentals of Islamic finance – beyond not just charging interest – is there must be a direct connection in between the financial product and the real economy. That's made it more attractive."
                        http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Upd...lim-homebuyers

Oh the irony.

Prejudice is ugly & stupid Gix. You'd do a lot better ditching yours.

Comment

My daughter lives in Chicago near a large and thriving Muslim community as well as near a large Hasidic community. I have on visits seen signs for Shariia financing—did not know what it was. However, there are a number of banks in the state of Illinois and other places that offer Shariia loans and have for some time.

Here is a PDF file that talks about it from 2009 and lists banks that do Shariia loans.

http://www.kslaw.com/Library/publica...0Shayesteh.pdf

Apparently this is nothing new in some places. The Devon Bank and the Broadway Bank that are listed are quite close to where she lives. We travel up and down Devon and Broadway often when we are there. They are streets that are heavily populated by immigrant businesses. One can see shops that offer Halal meats and Kosher Meats side by side. The Muslims and Jewish communities frequent the same areas.

The Jewish people also offer interest free loans to their own people and sometimes to others. See Hebrew Free Loan Society and Jewish Free Loan Society on Google. I understand that students can get interest free loans to go to college on. After seeing my grand-daughter go through borrowing for her college at 6.5% interest, it might be advantageous to be of another faith. I don't see too many Christian Banks offering interest free loans.
                          Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
                            My daughter lives in Chicago near a large and thriving Muslim community as well as near a large Hasidic community. I have on visits seen signs for Shariia financing—did not know what it was. However, there are a number of banks in the state of Illinois and other places that offer Shariia loans and have for some time.

Here is a PDF file that talks about it from 2009 and lists banks that do Shariia loans.

http://www.kslaw.com/Library/publica...0Shayesteh.pdf

Apparently this is nothing new in some places. The Devon Bank and the Broadway Bank that are listed are quite close to where she lives. We travel up and down Devon and Broadway often when we are there. They are streets that are heavily populated by immigrant businesses. One can see shops that offer Halal meats and Kosher Meats side by side. The Muslims and Jewish communities frequent the same areas.

The Jewish people also offer interest free loans to their own people and sometimes to others. See Hebrew Free Loan Society and Jewish Free Loan Society on Google. I understand that students can get interest free loans to go to college on. After seeing my grand-daughter go through borrowing for her college at 6.5% interest, it might be advantageous to be of another faith. I don't see too many Christian Banks offering interest free loans.
                            In other words, its a non-story. There are already financial products tailored for Jews & Christians, and Sharia finance has been around for years, even in the USA.

Notice how the thread sorta dried up when all those boring facts began to emerge. Confected outrage & hollow sloganeering don't like facts.

Comment

There's even mortgages for undocumented immigrants. But it's not easy to get one and the down payment required is usually way more than for other buyers.
                              "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X