Jade Helm and the GOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    Your ignorance of Ted Cruz's positions and record exceeds your ignorance of the Tea Party movement.
    Yeah, Chris isn't even close on anything in this thread. The Tea Party, Cruz, the GOP...

Funny how all this Chicken Little "the GOP is losing its grip" comes as we hold numerous State governors and both houses of Congress.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
      Funny how all this Chicken Little "the GOP is losing its grip" comes as we hold numerous State governors and both houses of Congress.
      That's the thing ... I am not talking about today. I am talking about 2024, 2028, 2032, 2036, and so on. I am talking about the GOP's long term viability in the New America.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/files/200...ulation-07.png
      Look at the demographics of 2050 ... do you think the GOP with it's present base can survive in that sort of environment?

Lastly, it doesent matter how many states we control when 2/3 of them have populations smaller than my county and a practically negligible presence in the Electoral College. We cannot reach 270 by appealing solely to flyover country. Texas is the only Republican leaning state with significant population. And with immigration from Latin America and inter-nation migration from California, Puerto Rico, and the Northeast how much longer do you think Texas will stay solid red?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
        That's the thing ... I am not talking about today. I am talking about 2024, 2028, 2032, 2036, and so on. I am talking about the GOP's long term viability in the New America.

Look at the demographics of 2050 ... do you think the GOP with it's present base can survive in that sort of environment?

Lastly, it doesent matter how many states we control when 2/3 of them have populations smaller than my county and a practically negligible presence in the Electoral College. We cannot reach 270 by appealing solely to flyover country. Texas is the only Republican leaning state with significant population. And with immigration from Latin America and inter-nation migration from California, Puerto Rico, and the Northeast how much longer do you think Texas will stay solid red?
        Firstly, your predictive source is deeply suspect, if not outright fraudulent. And out of date.

Secondly, Hispanics are one reason Texas went Red from Blue not all that long ago. You forget that in your lifetime Texas went Red.

Things like this were said after Perot. After 2000. They will be said again. There are Dems wailing right now about the future of their party.

The majority of voters switch back and forth. they get tired of the GOP, they vote Dem. they get tired of Dems, they vote GOP.

You forget that in your lifetime, and much of mine, the Dems owned the House. Yet in the last two decades that hasn't been so true.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I know ChrisF as one of the big supporters of the GOP. If he starts bitching about it then a lot need to pull their heads out of the sand or some place else and start listening.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            I know ChrisF as one of the big supporters of the GOP. If he starts bitching about it then a lot need to pull their heads out of the sand or some place else and start listening.
            His support for the GOP is irrelevant to his total ignorance of the subject matter.
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Actually those theories are the bread and butter of the Tea Party. In fact, that's the exact thing (combined with the bigotry towards minorities, and the extreme social conservatism) that drove me away from the Tea Party.

Governing requires compromise from both sides of the aisle.

Granted there are a variety of Tea Party groups, but I have yet to see what I thought were any of the larger groups taking racist stands on anything as you indicate.
              I have seen plenty of people on the left claiming the TEA party is racist though.
              May I ask what racist positions the tea party has taken?
              Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

If the demographics of the nation shift to the point that by 2050, a majority of the electorate will be dependent on government assistance, the nation is doomed anyway.

We'll have this train wreck long before 2050...

We can force the Federal government back into its constitutional box or we can become very large version of Greece.
                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

His support for the GOP is irrelevant to his total ignorance of the subject matter.
                  I've never seen Chris as very conservative, much less a GOP supporter.

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                    Once again you display what can only be a cultivated ignorance of history. Historically the political left has been riven by dissent & factionalism. Tiny factions have ben able to maintain 'discipline', but often in response to fights with other factions. Both left and right have been able to stitch together coalitions of their factions at different times, but the notion that this represents 'rigid lockstep in thinking' is quite literally a fantasy.

Remember the 'Hardhats' mounting counter demonstrations against the 'new Left' in the Vietnam era? 'Reagan Democrats' anyone? Just two examples of many.

The single most unifying factor for 'the left' is how much they dislike having the alternative in government, and even this has frequently not been enough to create more than a veneer of unity (if unity was achieved at all). Oddly enough this is also true of the right. Whoda thunk it?

You are clearly capable of mastering detail when it comes to military history. Try to transfer those skills into other areas. You'll stop making embarrassingly silly statements.
                    You are so wrong. In the US there are two primary parties: Democrat and Republican. Both of them have worked the system to exclude third parties and independent voters to the maximum extent possible.
                    That is a fact.
                    For example, in my state, Arizona, there is a redistricting commission made up of 2 Democrats, 2 Republicans, and 1 independent. Now, that is in a state where independent (no party affiliation) voters out number either Democrats or Republicans and are on the verge of being more than 50% of all registered voters.

Nationally, Independents are now at about 46% of the electorate and their numbers are rising. Democrats are in the mid 30's percentage-wise and the Republicans are in the high 20's.

Whatever the politics of the Democrats and Republicans are, makes not one scintilla of difference here.

This has to do with voters not being affiliated with either party. When the majority of voters don't get any say in primaries, or the selection of candidates, don't get a reasonable say in drawing districts, are excluded from political decisions even if elected by the way legislatures are set up and run, there is a major problem.
                    That is where American politics currently are.

It's really almost a variant of how elections are held in many Leftist countries. That is, you can vote for the party in power, that has been in power, and will be in power, or be ignored as irrelevant because those in power are going to ignore any and all voices that aren't in lockstep with them.
                    Well, the Democrats and Republicans are headed to that same position. They are minority parties that want to retain power in the face of an electorate that is increasingly ignoring both of them.
                    The problem is that in this situation, both parties are facing increasingly marginal candidates that appeal to their own dwindling base and can get through primaries and such but during the general election are facing an electorate that all-too-often is now holding their nose and voting for the least worst candidate rather than someone they really want in office.

The US system has become a fail.

Comment

The US system has become a fail.
                      In many ways. We have to change things with our votes of displeasure of those in power, continue with the same oh, same oh or with blood and with that the destruction of our nation.

Comment

Always a good tactic, claiming others are dumb, or serving special interest.

Comment

In many ways. We have to change things with our votes of displeasure of those in power, continue with the same oh, same oh or with blood and with that the destruction of our nation.
                          The problem, as T.A. G points out is that those in power rig the playing field in their favor, to the extreme.

However the main problem is 'fear' voting. Instead of looking at other possible parties and voting for their candidates voters will vote for one of the two main parties because they 'Fear' that the party they disagree with most will win if they don't vote for the other main party. Which BOTH parties count on to a large degree. Just look at the debates here. It's all about creating fear.
                          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                          “To talk of many things:
                          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                          Of cabbages—and kings—
                          And why the sea is boiling hot—
                          And whether pigs have wings.”
                          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Always a good tactic, claiming others are dumb, or serving special interest.
                            It's a simple fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                              The problem, as T.A. G points out is that those in power rig the playing field in their favor, to the extreme.

However the main problem is 'fear' voting. Instead of looking at other possible parties and voting for their candidates voters will vote for one of the two main parties because they 'Fear' that the party they disagree with most will win if they don't vote for the other main party. Which BOTH parties count on to a large degree. Just look at the debates here. It's all about creating fear.
                              The greater problem is that in their efforts to avoid factionalism, the framers of the Constitution created a system which propagated two parties.

Comment

The greater problem is that in their efforts to avoid factionalism, the framers of the Constitution created a system which propagated two parties.
                                The parties do not control the balloting system on the federal level, they control it on the State level. That is where the system keeps the main two in and others out.

Founders had nothing to do with that.
                                “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                                “To talk of many things:
                                Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                                Of cabbages—and kings—
                                And why the sea is boiling hot—
                                And whether pigs have wings.”
                                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...