U.S. Offers to Help Israel Bolster Defenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Offers to Help Israel Bolster Defenses

This doesn't make sense if the President really believes that the deal with Iran is good. The President's deal supposedly stops Iran from getting nuclear weapons yet he wants to increase military aid to Israel.....

WASHINGTON — When President Obama called Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday to discuss the nuclear deal with Iran, the American president offered the Israeli leader, who had just deemed the agreement a “historic mistake,” a consolation prize: a fattening of the already generous military aid package the United States gives Israel.

The nuclear agreement, which would lift sanctions on Iran in exchange for restrictions designed to prevent it from developing a nuclear weapon, would ultimately provide a financial windfall to Israel’s sworn enemy in the region, and Mr. Obama said he was prepared to hold “intensive discussions” with Mr. Netanyahu on what more could be done to bolster Israel’s defenses, administration officials said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/16/wo...easy.html?_r=0
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Well, the deal, even if it worked, would do nothing to affect Iran's conventional capability.

And a general election is coming up. The Dems need to mend fences fast.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

BoBo is trying to kiss and make up.

I fully expect Israel to take out the Iraqi nuke program for good in the very near future. They cannot afford not to, thanks to our Muslim-in-Chief.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        BoBo is trying to kiss and make up.

I fully expect Israel to take out the Iraqi nuke program for good in the very near future. They cannot afford not to, thanks to our Muslim-in-Chief.
        I think "taking out" the Iranian bomb "program" is going to be much harder than you might think.

GG
        "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

So, Israel gets the consolation prize...

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
            I think "taking out" the Iranian bomb "program" is going to be much harder than you might think.

GG
            Can't image Iran, now the big kid on the block due to the loss of their historic enemy Iraq as a bulwark, won't take it laying down either.

If Israel goes for the military option, expect the Middle East to become an even worse place to be for the foreseeable future.

And to be honest, I'm worried about the Saudi's wanting a bomb of their own if Iran continues to develop one.

Comment

Or, the Saudis start buying themselves a big military with the risk of a coup...

Comment

How 'bout we just pull out of there and don't help either side?

That sounds like a good plan!

Comment

Sitting in the middle of it all... in Q8 (and suffered Saddam's invasion in 1990). With respect, I think most of you have it wrong.

For sure, the way Iraq was dealt with 2003, day + 1 was not the bast (I for one was and is happy Saddam is not breathing), this put Iran in a better position. I actually believe Iran just wants to move along. True Ahmadinejad spouted a lot of BS, (mostly to his home contituancy). Did he attack Israel? No. It would have been insane. Did he better the lot of farmers in outlying areas with electricity and water? Yes. For decades there was an imabalance between the fruits of Iranian oil - Teheran and the fat cats or the countryside, both the late Shah, dumped by his US allies and the Ayatollahs got it wrong. Both, in part thanks to western interference. Anyhow Netanyahu has only one policy; lets bomb Iran. Finance? Better living for Israelis? Way down the list from US aid...
                  Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Handsome Jack View Post
                    How 'bout we just pull out of there and don't help either side?

That sounds like a good plan!
                    Maybe would have been not such a crazy idea....?

Damned if you do... Damned if you don't.....
                    Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Lāčplēsis View Post
                      Sitting in the middle of it all... in Q8 (and suffered Saddam's invasion in 1990). With respect, I think most of you have it wrong.

For sure, the way Iraq was dealt with 2003, day + 1 was not the bast (I for one was and is happy Saddam is not breathing), this put Iran in a better position. I actually believe Iran just wants to move along. True Ahmadinejad spouted a lot of BS, (mostly to his home contituancy). Did he attack Israel? No. It would have been insane. Did he better the lot of farmers in outlying areas with electricity and water? Yes. For decades there was an imabalance between the fruits of Iranian oil - Teheran and the fat cats or the countryside, both the late Shah, dumped by his US allies and the Ayatollahs got it wrong. Both, in part thanks to western interference. Anyhow Netanyahu has only one policy; lets bomb Iran. Finance? Better living for Israelis? Way down the list from US aid...
                      Netanyahu has it right.

And now between the Dems sucking up, and hopefully a GOP Prez next time, we'll give them the ability to really put serious, long-lasting harm on Iran.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        Netanyahu has it right.

And now between the Dems sucking up, and hopefully a GOP Prez next time, we'll give them the ability to really put serious, long-lasting harm on Iran.
                        And that is going to help the region the other side of the Persian Gulf????

Well.... some of your friendly allies may not be buying US arms.... (not from US aid but with cash).
                        Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Maybe this is part of the President's economic policy? Put Israel into a corner, then watch as defense manufacturing ramps-up to play on the fear created by his foreign policy...

Comment

Originally posted by Lāčplēsis View Post
                            And that is going to help the region the other side of the Persian Gulf????

Well.... some of your friendly allies may not be buying US arms.... (not from US aid but with cash).
                            the region.

Our only ally in the region is Israel.

And weapons always sell. The longer the fundamentalists run, the more weapons will be sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                              Netanyahu has it right.

I cant see this happening. If you follow current topics you will be aware that it was the P5+1 which worked out the deal with Iran. All around the world there are political as well as religious leaders whom are praising this deal with Iran.

Recently, the US conducted a 100 billion$ arms deal with Saudi Arabia. Our friends in the ME are not going anywhere

The military aid that Israel receives from the USA is not so much compared to the military equipment that Saudi buys from the USA. Yes Saudi pays us, which is actually a much better deal then having to give away aid to Israel. Dont get me wrong unlike the extremists I can say that Israel is the Jewish state, I recognize Israel as the Jewish state just as ex Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren talks about how Israel is the Jewish state. Jews are beautiful people, so are Muslims. I can also say that the GCC states such as Kuwait and the UAE to name a few, are home to such kind and wonderful people.

Even some of the leaders of the GCC states spoke with a level of respect toward the Iran Nuclear deal,

Kuwait's emir, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah, hoped the deal would help to "direct all efforts for the development" of the region.

http://news.yahoo.com/world-leaders-...141113251.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X