Who cannot buy guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who cannot buy guns

The FBI is saying that the SC murderer should not have been able to buy a gun because he was convicted of illegal drug possession.

When did this become law? Does this mean that someone convicted of possession of marijuana will no longer be able to buy guns?
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

It would have to be a felony conviction. The only misdemeanor that disqualifies you is Domestic Violence. Scroll down to questions 11.a-11.l. if he wasn't convicted with the attendant records, it is up to the purchaser to voluntarily answer addiction questions.
    https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download
    I found the FBI's assertions to be vague, which leads me to believe that it may be the opening salvo in the battle to "toughen" gun purchase restrictions.

Comment

Funny the Feds are pointing the finger. They prosecute less than 1% of the cases where people lie on the forms, even assuming that they bother to purchase from dealers.

Or obtain weapons from legal channels.

Originally posted by Johns624
      I found the FBI's assertions to be vague, which leads me to believe that it may be the opening salvo in the battle to "toughen" gun purchase restrictions.
      I thought the same thing, but Obama's recent speech on mass shooting, he looked so beat-down on the subject, I really wonder. And with the high-profile murder of a woman in SF with a Federal-issue weapon, its probably not an issue that's strong right now. It could just be CYA time.

I don't think they'll bring up gun control this closer to a general election, especially after the brutal beatings they've taken in last years, and with the recent riots making the middle+ class uneasy about safety.

But we'll see.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
        The FBI is saying that the SC murderer should not have been able to buy a gun because he was convicted of illegal drug possession.

When did this become law? Does this mean that someone convicted of possession of marijuana will no longer be able to buy guns?

He was arrested for possession of Suboxone, a schedule III narcotic.

Comment

I have a nephew that was convicted of a felony. He can't legally buy guns.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Well, if the arresting agency didn't enter the information into the NCIC system then the dealer and verifying agency wouldn't have known about it. Many local police and sheriff's agencies refuse to do this even today because it creates additional work for them they don't want to do and the feds don't pay them to do.
            That's the problem with unfunded mandates.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              Funny the Feds are pointing the finger. They prosecute less than 1% of the cases where people lie on the forms, even assuming that they bother to purchase from dealers.
              Correct. We've had a few purchasers use rubber checks. When they wouldn't pay (we have all their information from the 4473), we went to the ATF, since they basically stole the firearm. They asked if the person passed the NICS check, when we say yes, they claim that it's none of their business.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                I have a nephew that was convicted of a felony. He can't legally buy guns.

Pruitt

Are felons banned from buying guns permanently?

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                  Are felons banned from buying guns permanently?
                  Depends. Some states will restore civil rights. Arizona is like that. A felony doesn't necessarily remove your gun rights permanently.

http://www.recordgone.com/arizona-ex...s-restoration/

Comment

In Louisiana you can apply for clemency, but I don't know anything about the procedure. The weird thing is he can hunt legally, he just can't own his firearm.

edit: I have just found that if a felon stays felony free for 10 years, he can get back his right to own firearms.

Pruitt
                    Last edited by Pruitt; 11 Jul 15, 15:35.
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Even felons, including federal ones, can buy and own firearms manufactured before 1895. So, they could always buy something old like a colt revolver.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                        edit: I have just found that if a felon stays felony free for 10 years, he can get back his right to own firearms.

Pruitt

Does this apply to just Louisiana or nationwide?

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                          Does this apply to just Louisiana or nationwide?
                          Varies by state. In Texas, ten years after the sentence was served, if no other felonies have accrued, rights are restored.

Keeping in mind that a lot of people out walking around are still serving their sentence on parole.
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I cannot.
                            But I can freely buy some Foie gras ,hehe ...
                            That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                              It would have to be a felony conviction. The only misdemeanor that disqualifies you is Domestic Violence. Scroll down to questions 11.a-11.l. if he wasn't convicted with the attendant records, it is up to the purchaser to voluntarily answer addiction questions.
                              https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download
                              A misdemeanor weapons violation and other violations would also disqualify you in certain areas.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X