The decline of US power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The decline of US power?

Standing on the Washington Mall at the turn of the new millennium, it was impossible not to be struck by America's power and global pre-eminence.

Victory in the Cold War made it the hegemon in a unipolar world.

Few argued when the 20th Century was dubbed the "American Century", a term first coined in the early 1940s when the country was still overcoming its isolationist instincts.

Even the New Year's fireworks, which illuminated the obelisk of the Washington Monument in a way that made it resemble a giant number one, projected the country's supremacy as the world's sole superpower.

Over the past 15 years, America's fortunes have changed with dizzying speed.
    BBC - Full Article

An interesting editorial that really runs through all the major problems facing the United States in the new millennium and paints a bit of a bleak picture of America's foreign standing.

What interests me is what sort of actions people believe should be taken. While some might just say "it's Obama's fault" (in the same way we spent the first decade of the 2000s hearing "it's Bush's fault"), I'm interested in what actions should be undertaken by the United States to regain its prominent position - or if it should attempt to continue its hegemony in the first place.

Does the United States need to be more active around the world? Should the US actually disengage and work to convince other states to get more involved?

What is the solution to the problem, if you even believe there to be a real problem?

One of the more upsetting examples is the recent surrender of US Marines in Yemen, as the Chinese Navy saves the day.............

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I was hoping for later.
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

^ Marines surrendered? When did this happen?
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I have been considering moving to a Country that isn't a super power. The advantages are few and the cost high for international dominance. Of course any country I move to will most likely still need the protection of the U.S. but then you guys still in the U.S. would be paying for it.

We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          ^ Marines surrendered? When did this happen?
          Marines Surrender Weapons Before Yemen Evacuation

U.S. Embassy Marines in Yemen handed over their M-9 pistols and M-4 carbines before evacuating the chaotic country with diplomatic personnel, the Pentagon said Wednesday.

The Marines also left behind several vehicles at the airport in the capital city of Sanaa before departing on a civilian flight, said Army Col. Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman.

Warren said the Marines destroyed their machine guns and other crew-served weapons before leaving the Embassy for the airport. He also said that it was unclear who now had custody of the weapons and vehicles that were surrendered.

A Marine spokesman could not immediately say whether the surrender of weapons by Embassy Marines in an evacuation was unprecedented.
          Military.com - Full Article

Comment

I don't think world affairs are really our business or anyone's business. We've lived for a few decades unchallenged as the sole remaining superpower, but that's not the case any more, and other nations are rapidly closing in, if not beginning to equal, our strength. I see nothing wrong with the world not "being dominated" by the US. It shouldn't be dominated by anyone.

Comment

I think we have to get back to the idea that the US is a "shining beacon" to the people of the other nations of the world. We should set the example in terms of following our own laws, providing everyone as much as possible public safety, and providing a system where if you work hard, you will pretty much do OK. We - ie the American People - have to insist our governments behave. For example, NSA surveillance. For example, in my local paper, the Salem, MA evening news, stories just recently published where it took three years for the local joint SWAT team to release information on its raids, why/what for/results/ etc. They didn't release information on it's raids, etc. because they claimed it was a private entity. We can't allow insulting behavior like this.

When you spend half or more of the world's spending on arms and the military in general, logic would suggest the "marginal return" on the last several hundred billion dollars is rather low.

That being said, I think unless the world vastly changes, we should continue to keep our"tripwire" forces in Germany/Europe and South Korea/Japan.
              Last edited by lakechampainer; 10 Jul 15, 20:34.

Comment

I see the fundamental problem is economic and unfortunately I don't see any easy answers.

Comment

A decline in US power is almost inevitable as the social-welfare state grows, just as it has eaten up the budgets of European nations and South and Central American nations.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                    It is a stretch to suggest that Marines have somehow become ineffective because a few Marines assigned to guard an embassy were ordered to stand down.
                    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Third world president gives you a third world country. Can't wait to see the rest of the world fend for itself.
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                        It is a stretch to suggest that Marines have somehow become ineffective because a few Marines assigned to guard an embassy were ordered to stand down.
                        The humiliation of those Marines sent shockwaves through the entire military, as well as the veteran ranks. Morale in the military is at an all time low. Leadership is lacking, and we all know st rolls down hill. The US is a super power, but under the present administration, we are losing that edge that we have had for some many years. ISIS is a clear and present danger, yet "O" wants no part of that battle. He would rather console the parents of Michael Brown or Trayvon Martin, than take a stand against the real issues facing this country. His term cannot end fast enough...
                        Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                          Third world president gives you a third world country. Can't wait to see the rest of the world fend for itself.
                          This isn't implying the U.S. is suddenly going to become a Third World country or cease to exist, just not be a superpower any more.

You do realize that the U.S. has only been a major power for just a little over a century, and a superpower for only 70 years, right? A century of being a major power out of over 2,000 years of modern world history.

The world will not cease to function without a U.S. superpower. Even if the U.S. were to become some kind of Third World nation, the world itself would continue, just as it did for the thousands of years before the U.S. was a country or a formidable world power.

I'm pretty nationalistic and I don't want to see the U.S. fall apart, but I don't like the dramatic view similar to this that's parroted by some, that the world will instantly collapse and go to **** unless Uncle Sam is policing it.

Our country will be radically different, if not long gone by the turn of the 31st century. Most countries in the world will be long since disbanded or radically changed and replaced with new ones. That's how humanity and society go. The U.S. won't last forever, nor will anyone else, and the world will go on just fine despite this.

Comment

Originally posted by drivin-fool View Post
                            The humiliation of those Marines sent shockwaves through the entire military, as well as the veteran ranks. Morale in the military is at an all time low. Leadership is lacking, and we all know st rolls down hill. The US is a super power, but under the present administration, we are losing that edge that we have had for some many years. ISIS is a clear and present danger, yet "O" wants no part of that battle. He would rather console the parents of Michael Brown or Trayvon Martin, than take a stand against the real issues facing this country. His term cannot end fast enough...
                            I'm sure it rubbed s lot of people the wrong way, but it isn't the first time Marines assigned to embassy duty have been ordered to stand down.
                            Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                            Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by drivin-fool View Post
                              All time low? I don't think so. I was in during the Carter years. Talk about low. And, the drug use and discipline problems? I probably would get a visit from the government if I posted some of the stories about that here.
                              Nobody was staying in then. I could even tell you about my own three exit interviews (two with officers, one with a recruiter). I remember some of the questions and answers like it was yesterday, and it was anything but polite and friendly.
                              This was 1985 and for a four year reenlistment back then I was being offered:
                              Automatic promotion to next rank (E-6).
                              $75,000 cash bonus, half up front.
                              $100 a month "proficiency pay"
                              Guaranteed duty station of my choice for 24 months.
                              A Navy school of my choice.
                              If I stayed on any kind of sea duty my $150 a month extra sea pay for over 3 continuous would be continued, even on tender duty.

That was 1985, and the Navy couldn't get one person in ten in my field to take it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X