X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    I think the main problem is people like whomever they send to Congress. It is the other guys that make Congress suck!

Pruitt
    This is true.

In addition, its tough to accurately explain the actions of 535 politicians through the medium of a self-serving, corrupt media establishment devoted to superficial reporting at best.

Leave a comment:

• the ace
    replied
    This is hardly news, many in the UK don't trust parliament either - of course, it's generally a similar thing, with most seats solidly Labour or Conservative, and a few either swinging or going to someone else depending on the prevailing wind (the SNP landslide in Scotland was deemed unthinkable a year ago, although it was suspected that the Lib/Dems were in serious trouble, and Labour might lose some support).

Holyrood bucks the trend, since even people who are unhappy with the current SNP majority, tend to trust it - I'd suggest that's pretty unique in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• Daemon of Decay
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    I think the main problem is people like whomever they send to Congress. It is the other guys that make Congress suck!

Pruitt
    This is a big issue. It would be interesting to see how many people have a senator or congressman in power they voted for and who they support.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Daemon of Decay
    replied
    Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    I saw today a gallop pole showing that 93 per cent of Americans are distrustful of congress.

The obvious question arises.... why in the hell are we allowing these idiots to be reelected?

Or is it because we are afraid that the "OTHER PARTY" will gain power?

At any rate, the two party system should be done away with. At least then there would be SOME negotiations between factions to gain a Government.

What say you?

GG
    Because the majority believe in the idea of "lesser evils".

Ask around here - people here are absolutely critical of congress, but how many of them are going to put a Democrat or a Republican back in office?

We continue to put the same two groups back into power, yet act shocked when they don't change.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    These days I suspect for there to be a majority of voters showing up at the polls we'd have to empty the graveyards, and import shills as stand-in's for all the nonexistent phony registrations then allow half the population of Mexico back into the country...

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
    I am a registered voter. So, I'm guessing there must be a statistic comparing turnout to number of registered voters.
    Of course there are, and that's where the ten per cent or so number comes from.

Turnout is traditionally low. Even when Obama ran and interest peaked, the number of voters fell short of being a "majority" of registered voters.

Most people today are aware that they have been disenfranchised by the electoral system and simply don't bother any more.

Of the remainder, those locked into social programs that cannot be discontinued see no reason to care who is in office either, since their benefits continue no matter what party signs the checks. Welfar, Social Security, Medicare and so forth are, In BoBo's own words "too big to be allowed to fail", so why bother to vote when it will change nothing?

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Originally posted by joea View Post
    Your sig seems so appropriate in this case! We have the same problem in Canada, yet is not voting at all a solution?

I am a registered voter. So, I'm guessing there must be a statistic comparing turnout to number of registered voters.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally Posted by Gixxer86g
    For many of us, low voter turn out is directly caused by the lack of good candidates.

I'm done with the "lesser of two evils" crap. That's my active, informed and dynamic role.
    At last! A person who openly admits to Dynamic Apathy!!

And he's right about many of us feel about the choices of candidates.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    That is a key point in the equation.

When all is said and done, Congressional elections are in fact local elections.
    Which are often tampered with by tactics like Gerrymandering.

The important point being left unsaid is that the moment the Congress creature is elected, his "representation" of the general electorate stops and his special interest pandering begins.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    For many of us, low voter turn out is directly caused by the lack of good candidates.

I'm done with the "lesser of two evils" crap. That's my active, informed and dynamic role.
    That's your right. At least it is not simple apathy.

I'll throw this out: define what would make your candidate 'good', how would he establish those qualities to a district comprising millions of people, and how would you expect this one 'good' candidate impact the larger whole of Congress?

Leave a comment:

• joea
    replied

Your sig seems so appropriate in this case! We have the same problem in Canada, yet is not voting at all a solution?

Leave a comment:

• Gixxer86g
    replied
    Stupid idea.

All that would do would be to increase the costs of elections, therefore handing still more power to corporate interests, and empowering the bureaucrats by creating even more Congressional gridlock.

The problem is the low voter turn-out and low voter interest. Few Americans know who their Congressmen are. Fewer still vote in their elections. Few that vote bother to find out how their candidate performed.

You can re-arrange the chairs all you want, but until the voters take an active, informed, and dynamic role in the process, nothing will get better.

The public gets the quality of government equal to the quality of their involvement.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Stupid idea.

All that would do would be to increase the costs of elections, therefore handing still more power to corporate interests, and empowering the bureaucrats by creating even more Congressional gridlock.

The problem is the low voter turn-out and low voter interest. Few Americans know who their Congressmen are. Fewer still vote in their elections. Few that vote bother to find out how their candidate performed.

You can re-arrange the chairs all you want, but until the voters take an active, informed, and dynamic role in the process, nothing will get better.

The public gets the quality of government equal to the quality of their involvement.
    I agree and this is what I've tried to express a couple of times as well. Unless the ballot boxes are stuffed and/or the counting rigged, "we the people" keep doing it to ourselves in the voting booth.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Because while the US public hates Congress as a whole most like their Congress critters.
    That is a key point in the equation.

When all is said and done, Congressional elections are in fact local elections.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X