It does go on... amd on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It does go on... amd on...

I saw today a gallop pole showing that 93 per cent of Americans are distrustful of congress.

The obvious question arises.... why in the hell are we allowing these idiots to be reelected?

Or is it because we are afraid that the "OTHER PARTY" will gain power?

At any rate, the two party system should be done away with. At least then there would be SOME negotiations between factions to gain a Government.

What say you?

GG
    "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    I saw today a gallop pole showing that 93 per cent of Americans are distrustful of congress.

The obvious question arises.... why in the hell are we allowing these idiots to be reelected?

At any rate, the two party system should be done away with. At least then there would be SOME negotiations between factions to gain a Government.

What say you?

GG
    How can we get rid of the two party, on any party, system????
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Stupid idea.

All that would do would be to increase the costs of elections, therefore handing still more power to corporate interests, and empowering the bureaucrats by creating even more Congressional gridlock.

The problem is the low voter turn-out and low voter interest. Few Americans know who their Congressmen are. Fewer still vote in their elections. Few that vote bother to find out how their candidate performed.

You can re-arrange the chairs all you want, but until the voters take an active, informed, and dynamic role in the process, nothing will get better.

The public gets the quality of government equal to the quality of their involvement.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

What say you?

GG
        The obvious answer is that all of our choices come from the same corrupt pool of potential candidates. Those few that hold some promise are rapidly corrupted once they reach Washington, District of Corruption.

The public is weary and frustrated with the process of looking for anyone in government to actually want to work for the people rather than themselves.

The only thing I'm left wondering is who the 7% who still trust the government are? My guess would be the rich and influential who enjoy the patronage of the government, and people like the heads of government agencies.

In a real world, the government itself would be fearful of a populace of which 93% did not trust them, and in many countries a revolution would be just around the corner, but American has grown fat, lazy and complacent.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          Stupid idea.

All that would do would be to increase the costs of elections, therefore handing still more power to corporate interests, and empowering the bureaucrats by creating even more Congressional gridlock.

The problem is the low voter turn-out and low voter interest. Few Americans know who their Congressmen are. Fewer still vote in their elections. Few that vote bother to find out how their candidate performed.

You can re-arrange the chairs all you want, but until the voters take an active, informed, and dynamic role in the process, nothing will get better.

The public gets the quality of government equal to the quality of their involvement.
          I think it's the other way around. It began with the people not getting quality government despite all of their efforts, and now they are discouraged by a system designed to defeat any attempt to elect intelligent, concerned individuals who will actually represent the people and not their own special interests. How many times do the people have to be disappointed to produce apathy? Because that is what you are seeing, not disinterest. How interested in voting were they in Russia during the Soviet Union's reign of power?

It's like a Steerage passenger being offered a vote on lifeboat seating on the Titanic - why bother when you know damned well you aren't gong to get anything you want anyway?

It's convenient to blame the people, but the real culprit is the self-sustaining, self-aggrandizing and self-protecting government itself, which will do anything legal or illegal to remain in power.

Comment

What say you?

GG
            I am not so sure we are even a two party system at the congressional level. How many states never mind actual districts even purple? Most are either red or blue and a solid lock that way. A few older folks were joking here in Alabama last go around about voting in a Soviet election, we showed them our papers and then we got ballots with a bunch of unopposed candidates. 6 dems with no chance and 34 other races with only a rep.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDog View Post
              I am not so sure we are even a two party system at the congressional level. How many states never mind actual districts even purple? Most are either red or blue and a solid lock that way. A few older folks were joking here in Alabama last go around about voting in a Soviet election, we showed them our papers and then we got ballots with a bunch of unopposed candidates. 6 dems with no chance and 34 other races with only a rep.
              No point in wasting money running in a race you can't win.

Goes back to the voter turnout. If the same 10% vote, and only that 10%, then their voting habits will soon be learned.

I think its been 25 years since a democrat got elected in my county. I can't recall when the last one bothered to run.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

What say you?

GG
                Because while the US public hates Congress as a whole most like their Congress critters.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  Because while the US public hates Congress as a whole most like their Congress critters.
                  That is a key point in the equation.

When all is said and done, Congressional elections are in fact local elections.

Comment

Stupid idea.

I agree and this is what I've tried to express a couple of times as well. Unless the ballot boxes are stuffed and/or the counting rigged, "we the people" keep doing it to ourselves in the voting booth.

Comment

Stupid idea.

For many of us, low voter turn out is directly caused by the lack of good candidates.

I'm done with the "lesser of two evils" crap. That's my active, informed and dynamic role.
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                        For many of us, low voter turn out is directly caused by the lack of good candidates.

I'm done with the "lesser of two evils" crap. That's my active, informed and dynamic role.
                        Your sig seems so appropriate in this case! We have the same problem in Canada, yet is not voting at all a solution?

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post

That's your right. At least it is not simple apathy.

I'll throw this out: define what would make your candidate 'good', how would he establish those qualities to a district comprising millions of people, and how would you expect this one 'good' candidate impact the larger whole of Congress?

Comment

That is a key point in the equation.

When all is said and done, Congressional elections are in fact local elections.
                            Which are often tampered with by tactics like Gerrymandering.

The important point being left unsaid is that the moment the Congress creature is elected, his "representation" of the general electorate stops and his special interest pandering begins.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gixxer86g

At last! A person who openly admits to Dynamic Apathy!!

And he's right about many of us feel about the choices of candidates.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X