Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Obama Hosts Ramadan Iftar Dinner For Muslim Americans At The White House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Obama Hosts Ramadan Iftar Dinner For Muslim Americans At The White House

WASHINGTON (AP) President Barack Obama said Monday that Americans stand united in rejecting the targeting of any religious or ethnic group as he marked Islam's holy month of Ramadan.

Obama opened the White House to Muslim Americans for a traditional iftar dinner, which follows daily fasting from dawn to sunset. Ramadan ends with the Islamic holiday of Eid al-Fitr.

"We affirm that whatever our faith, we're all one family," Obama said at the East Room dinner attended by about 40 members of the diplomatic community and a few members of Congress.

He recognized several young dinner guests, including Samantha Elauf, who went to the Supreme Court to defend her right to wear a headscarf, or hijab. She was 17 in 2008 when she was rejected for a sales job at an Abercrombie Kids store in Tulsa, Oklahoma, after wearing a hijab to the interview.

"She was determined to defend the right to wear a hijab to have the same opportunities as everybody else," Obama said. "She went all the way to the Supreme Court which I didn't do at her age and she won."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_7644614.html

"She went all the way to the Supreme Court which I didn't do at her age and she won."
    Obama is just unbelievably narcissistic. The part in bold was totally gratuitous and self-serving. It just makes him a crass @$$.

I don't have a problem with him hosting an end of Ramadan feast. I suspect other recent Presidents have too, so that's no big deal.

But to inject himself into that subject like he did is just...

Comment

When you are out of policy, then you go for fireworks.
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Obama is just unbelievably narcissistic. The part in bold was totally gratuitous and self-serving. It just makes him a crass @$$.

I don't have a problem with him hosting an end of Ramadan feast. I suspect other recent Presidents have too, so that's no big deal.

But to inject himself into that subject like he did is just...
        Ramadan is still ongoing. It began on June 17th and ends on July 17th. Yep.....bought extra terrorism insurance for Ramadan 2015.
        Last edited by Salinator; 06 Jul 15, 23:58.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
          Ramadan is still ongoing. It it began June 17th ends on July 17th. Yep.....bought extra terrorism insurance for Ramadan 2015.
          Ah, so he went the extra mile to ingrate himself to the Muslim world... I see.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Handsome Jack View Post
              I don't see anything wrong with this.
              I don't know. Has he done a Hanukkah yet? Has he invited Catholics over for religious holidays...and Christmas don't count since it is basically no longer allowed to be a religious holiday.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

I don't know. Has he done a Hanukkah yet? Has he invited Catholics over for religious holidays...and Christmas don't count since it is basically no longer allowed to be a religious holiday.
                If this was a Hanukkah dinner or a Catholic party or a Baptist banquet, would you still see a problem with it?

Comment

If this was a Hanukkah dinner or a Catholic party or a Baptist banquet, would you still see a problem with it?
                  My point is whether or not Obama favors kissing Muslim ass over others.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

My point is whether or not Obama favors kissing Muslim ass over others.
                    That doesn't answer my question though. We have a spontaneous dinner celebration for a Muslim holiday: if this was for a Jewish, a Christian, a Hindu, a Buddhist, an Orthodox, or any other belief's holiday, would you accuse Obama of kissing their asses?

Comment

His speech writers need to be beheaded. Not a problem with recognizing the holiday, but the presentation needed to be sensitive to the Country's present situation.
                      My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

I have to admit I'm pretty hostile toward religion.

I don't really care for the pope trying to insert himself into the politics of global warming and I see no reason why a U.S. president would show deference to any religion. If we are going to respect mythology maybe we should bring back cutting open sheep to decide if we go to war or not.

I know people say it is church and not religion that must remain separate but that is not what I read in the private letters of the founding fathers. No meaningful dialogue can take place between people who believe in faith and the kind of democracy that requires evidence as the foundation for decisions.

Religion is absolute truth and that alone presents an insurmountable barrier to peaceful coexistence. There are simple too many absolute truths to make the kind of rational dialogue that resolves conflict possible.

The president and congress can have their prayers that doesn't bother me nor will I be insisting that christmas trees be called holiday trees any time soon. The president can even celebrate religious holidays in the white house. What I resent is the idea of religious tolerance that places religion beyond critique.

If I wanted to send a letter to Obama saying that his observance of mythology makes his judgement suspect I should not be labeled intolerant, racist, ethnically bigoted or against religious freedom.

I wholeheartedly believe that in the long run it would be better if he pointed out the absurdity of religious beliefs instead of celebrating their legitimacy. The short term gains of appeasing mistaken beliefs is simply not worth engaging in. That doesn't mean we should not enjoy cultural traditions and the pomp and ceremony that goes with them it just means we should do so in the same spirit we enjoy the easter bunny or the legend of Santa Claus. Just as we tell our children that these other legends are not real we should make it clear that celebrating culture does not mean we necessarily endorse all of it's implications.
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

I can agree that I'd rather have no religious dinner there at all. Separation of church and state.

Comment

That doesn't answer my question though. We have a spontaneous dinner celebration for a Muslim holiday: if this was for a Jewish, a Christian, a Hindu, a Buddhist, an Orthodox, or any other belief's holiday, would you accuse Obama of kissing their asses?
                            Spontaneous? Really? REALLY?

Please list the other spontaneous dinner celebrations involving Jewish..Christian...Hindu...Buddhist holidays. And yes he would be an ass-kisser because that is what he is. Spread the ass-kissing out seems to be a simple request according to that highly intellectual moment with Joe the Plumber.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

I can agree that I'd rather have no religious dinner there at all. Separation of church and state.
                              Yes but that is what got us the holiday tree to replace the christmas tree. I don't want people having to hide there cherished traditions I just want them to see them in a broader context. Obama may be honoring a particular religious belief not the pageantry of the cultural tradition that can be shared without honoring the belief system. The distinction should be made clear.

That is the whole problem with political correctness and cultural diversity. We don't respect woman because they are woman but because they have human rights. The same is true of culture we don't respect a culture because all aspect of a culture has value but because people of all cultures have human rights. Race, religion, ethnic background, nationalism, and gender are all concepts that separate people. Discrimination is not the result of recognizing the difference between people but of the value that is placed on those differences.
                              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X