Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMan88
    replied
    For us it's a cultural thing, a symbolic right of passage, as it were.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
    Jesus, must be a slow news day when we find we are discussing circumcision here at ACG.
    If you know anything about how women are treated in the African nations, circumcision of either sex is a very touchy subject throughout a major portion of the world, and if you remember your history, male circumcision was a key identifier during the Holocaust.

Leave a comment:

• DeltaOne
    replied
    Jesus, must be a slow news day when we find we are discussing circumcision here at ACG.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Yeah, me, my brother, my cousins, all were a standard procedure at birth. IIRC the only ones the hospital didn't do were Jewish babies.

You have to request it not to be done at the ped wards here, although if your paperwork is marked Jewish they won't do it.

You know what: I'm not even asking. I'm sure I don't ever want to know.

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
    Fortunately for UK men our doctors medical knowledge in this area is a little more advanced...
    That's why Britain is Great: she'll never run out of stilton.

Rimshot

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Fortunately for UK men our doctors medical knowledge in this area is a little more advanced...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Circumc...roduction.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Yeah, me, my brother, my cousins, all were a standard procedure at birth. IIRC the only ones the hospital didn't do were Jewish babies.

You have to request it not to be done at the ped wards here, although if your paperwork is marked Jewish they won't do it.

I never understood why this is even up for debate. I'm certainly glad they did it.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Circumc...roduction.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    This is going to hurt a bit at four years old! I had mine done in the hospital at Castle AFB when I was born. I doubt staff even asked permission!

Pruitt

I never understood why this is even up for debate. I'm certainly glad they did it.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Circumcision seems to be an American cultural thing. In The UK it is usually only done for religious reasons.

I have heard of some VERY nasty accidents occurring during circumcision and it seems irrational to carry it out just for the sake of it.
    Circumcision was adopted as a "cure" for masturbation in England and the practice crossed to America during the subsequent waves of immigrations, where it became a de facto policy.

Contrary to most accounts, the ancient history of ritual circumcision is almost completely irrelevant to the US. Secular circumcision began as a "cure" for masturbation late in the 19th century in England. It swiftly crossed the Atlantic - though it was only ever confined to the upper classes in its homeland, where it has since withered and died. In the US, it rose during the 2 - 5 years after each war the US has been involved in. It peaked at 90% in 1964, according to the Laumann study (based on self-reporting by adults). The "war" connection ("It'll make a man of him"?) suggests it will rise again, perhaps using the "desert sand" myth.
    http://www.circumstitions.com/USA.html

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    It was between the parents. The father wanted it done and the Mother flipped out about it. The main problem is the two were never married. I don't see the relationship getting any better after she pulled this stuff. The Mother was using this as an excuse to deny custody visits to the Father. She even hid in a shelter!

Sometimes the court is the only sane person when two parents bicker.

Pruitt
    Not if you are referring to to the same courts which automatically side with the female.

Leave a comment:

• Lāčplēsis
    replied
    This is going to hurt a bit at four years old!
    Damn well hurt at 30!!!! Does anyone know the resoning behind the parents' argument?

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    Circumcision seems to be an American cultural thing. In The UK it is usually only done for religious reasons.

I have heard of some VERY nasty accidents occurring during circumcision and it seems irrational to carry it out just for the sake of it.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Most cases these days are done for hygiene purposes, rather than religion. The US Air Force did not care what religion you were, male children born on base got the snip.

I don't see the Father being "happy" over this. Believe it or not, some parents are less than sane, the Mother in this case. It could also be a fight over who says what goes (power).

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Surrey
    replied
    Interesting. The circumcision wasn't done for any religeous reasons but purely to make the father happy.
    Makes a travesty of requiring a parent to sign a consent form if they can be jailed if they don't.

Leave a comment:

• Handsome Jack
    replied
    It was between the parents. The father wanted it done and the Mother flipped out about it. The main problem is the two were never married. I don't see the relationship getting any better after she pulled this stuff. The Mother was using this as an excuse to deny custody visits to the Father. She even hid in a shelter!

Pruitt
    I suppose. What happened to her was cruel but that's our legal system. If only she hadn't signed it to begin with, then it would've been a legitimate case.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X