Florida woman who tried to block son's circumcision freed from jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida woman who tried to block son's circumcision freed from jail

A Florida woman who was jailed in a long-running dispute over her son’s circumcision has been released after nine nights behind bars.

Heather Hironimus, 31, posted bond and was released at 10.18pm on Saturday, jail records showed.

She has been portrayed as a martyr by anti-circumcision advocates around the country, who have followed her case with rapt interest.

Hironimus and her 4-year-old-son’s father, Dennis Nebus, have been warring for years over whether to have the boy’s foreskin removed. She initially agreed in a parenting agreement filed in court, then changed her mind, giving rise to a long legal fight. Circuit and appellate judges have sided with the father.

With her legal options dwindling, Hironimus went missing in February, and ignored a judge’s order that she appear in court and give her consent for the surgery to be performed. A warrant was issued, but she wasn’t located until 14 May at a Broward County shelter where she was staying with her son.

Brought before Judge Jeffrey Gillen on Friday, Hironimus again declined to sign a consent form for the surgery, and was advised she would remain jailed indefinitely. After the hearing recessed and she reconsidered, she reluctantly agreed to sign, sobbing as she put pen to paper.

Though the signature solved a contempt charge against her, she still faces a criminal charge of interference with child custody.

more,

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ion-freed-jail

This is going to hurt a bit at four years old! I had mine done in the hospital at Castle AFB when I was born. I doubt staff even asked permission!

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

It's pretty awful that this sort of thing isn't up to the parents.

Comment

It was between the parents. The father wanted it done and the Mother flipped out about it. The main problem is the two were never married. I don't see the relationship getting any better after she pulled this stuff. The Mother was using this as an excuse to deny custody visits to the Father. She even hid in a shelter!

Sometimes the court is the only sane person when two parents bicker.

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          It was between the parents. The father wanted it done and the Mother flipped out about it. The main problem is the two were never married. I don't see the relationship getting any better after she pulled this stuff. The Mother was using this as an excuse to deny custody visits to the Father. She even hid in a shelter!

Pruitt
          I suppose. What happened to her was cruel but that's our legal system. If only she hadn't signed it to begin with, then it would've been a legitimate case.

Comment

Interesting. The circumcision wasn't done for any religeous reasons but purely to make the father happy.
            Makes a travesty of requiring a parent to sign a consent form if they can be jailed if they don't.
            "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Most cases these days are done for hygiene purposes, rather than religion. The US Air Force did not care what religion you were, male children born on base got the snip.

I don't see the Father being "happy" over this. Believe it or not, some parents are less than sane, the Mother in this case. It could also be a fight over who says what goes (power).

Pruitt

Comment

Circumcision seems to be an American cultural thing. In The UK it is usually only done for religious reasons.

I have heard of some VERY nasty accidents occurring during circumcision and it seems irrational to carry it out just for the sake of it.

Comment

This is going to hurt a bit at four years old!
                  Damn well hurt at 30!!!! Does anyone know the resoning behind the parents' argument?
                  Per Ardua ad Astra

Comment

Pruitt
                    Not if you are referring to to the same courts which automatically side with the female.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                      Circumcision seems to be an American cultural thing. In The UK it is usually only done for religious reasons.

I have heard of some VERY nasty accidents occurring during circumcision and it seems irrational to carry it out just for the sake of it.
                      Circumcision was adopted as a "cure" for masturbation in England and the practice crossed to America during the subsequent waves of immigrations, where it became a de facto policy.

Contrary to most accounts, the ancient history of ritual circumcision is almost completely irrelevant to the US. Secular circumcision began as a "cure" for masturbation late in the 19th century in England. It swiftly crossed the Atlantic - though it was only ever confined to the upper classes in its homeland, where it has since withered and died. In the US, it rose during the 2 - 5 years after each war the US has been involved in. It peaked at 90% in 1964, according to the Laumann study (based on self-reporting by adults). The "war" connection ("It'll make a man of him"?) suggests it will rise again, perhaps using the "desert sand" myth.
                      http://www.circumstitions.com/USA.html

Comment

This is going to hurt a bit at four years old! I had mine done in the hospital at Castle AFB when I was born. I doubt staff even asked permission!

Pruitt
                        Yeah, me, my brother, my cousins, all were a standard procedure at birth. IIRC the only ones the hospital didn't do were Jewish babies.

You have to request it not to be done at the ped wards here, although if your paperwork is marked Jewish they won't do it.

I never understood why this is even up for debate. I'm certainly glad they did it.
                        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          Yeah, me, my brother, my cousins, all were a standard procedure at birth. IIRC the only ones the hospital didn't do were Jewish babies.

You have to request it not to be done at the ped wards here, although if your paperwork is marked Jewish they won't do it.

I never understood why this is even up for debate. I'm certainly glad they did it.
                          Fortunately for UK men our doctors medical knowledge in this area is a little more advanced...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Circumc...roduction.aspx

Comment

Fortunately for UK men our doctors medical knowledge in this area is a little more advanced...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Circumc...roduction.aspx
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

You know what: I'm not even asking. I'm sure I don't ever want to know.

That's why Britain is Great: she'll never run out of stilton.

Rimshot
                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X