NASCAR ask fans not to display Confederate flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR ask fans not to display Confederate flag

NASCAR is stepping up to the plate big time. I wonder how the fans will respond this weekend at Daytona. They will remove any Confederate flag they see displayed during races.

There are still months of racing to go so we shall see how this will play out.

NASCAR announced Thursday morning an unprecedented collaboration among the tracks that host its national series events in an effort to ask fans to "refrain from displaying the Confederate Flag at our facilities and NASCAR events."

The sanctioning body revealed Thursday that every track signed on, vowing to help remove fans' displays of the flag.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...rate-flag.html
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Hopefully fans bail on NASCRAP in droves. It's just WWE on wheels anyway.
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

So many here, including myself supported the removal of the flag from State Grounds. However, we also supported the use of any emblem in a private or historical use. I refuse to support this. NASCAR needed to keep it's mouth shut unless the sponsers brought to much pressure. If so, the slippery slope has turned into a cliff.
      Signed, a devote Yankee.
      My Avatar: Ivan W. Henderson Gunner/navigator B-25-26. 117 combat missions. Both Theaters. 11 confirmed kills. DSC.

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
        So many here, including myself supported the removal of the flag from State Grounds. However, we also supported the use of any emblem in a private or historical use. I refuse to support this. NASCAR needed to keep it's mouth shut unless the sponsers brought to much pressure. If so, the slippery slope has turned into a cliff.
        Signed, a devote Yankee.
        Exactly how I feel.

Watch out NASCAR fans...soon we may also have to give up our Ray-Bans...belt buckles...cowboy boots...and our beloved Mountain Dew.
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

They probably realized that a lot of their fan base is gay.

Gay, toothless, tattooed, drunks...and their husbands.
          #occupyarmchairgeneral.
          Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
          Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by holly6 View Post
            Signed, a devote Yankee.
            My thoughts exactly.
            "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
              NASCAR is stepping up to the plate big time. I wonder how the fans will respond this weekend at Daytona. They will remove any Confederate flag they see displayed during races.

There are still months of racing to go so we shall see how this will play out.

If Nascar is merely asking fans to refrain from displaying the Confederate flag, why did Nascar's sanctioning body vow to remove any Confederate flag on display? Is it a simple request or a new rule?

Comment

So where are the comments that NASCAR is simply responding to the market?

Maggie, the plate that you are referring to is really a toilet, and NASCAR just took a giant crap on their own heritage, and their core fan base. I sincerely hope fans do the right thing. Maybe this CBF insanity will end on a racetrack.
                ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                  Maggie, the plate that you are referring to is really a toilet, and NASCAR just took a giant crap on their own heritage, and their core fan base. I sincerely hope fans do the right thing. Maybe this CBF insanity will end on a racetrack.

I love your analogy using a toilet...it's more fitting.

It's hard to predict how NASCAR's fans will react at Daytona this weekend. I think there may be problems. There will be some fans who will not volunteer to put the flag away, I'm certain of it. It will be interesting to see how this plays out this weekend. I'm sure many will be tuning in just to see what happens.
                  "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

I hope there will be a Sea of CBFs at Daytona.
                    {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
                      I hope there will be a Sea of CBFs at Daytona.
                      Fans with Confederate flag clothes, hats, you name it...
                      {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

I think that this removal of Confederate flags from the WalMart stores and the NASCAR has to do with their image problem. They don’t want to appear to be catering to the Southern Redneck faction.

WalMart has been losing market share and NASCAR TV events has been losing viewers. I don’t know if these are regional, i.e., losing northerners from both markets or losing a share of the Southern market as well? Anyone have any idea.
                        For the past five quarters Walmart has experienced falling sales. The retail giant is desperate to expand its market share in large metropolitan regions like the greater San Francisco Bay area.
                        To penetrate metro regions Walmart seeks to increase both the number of supercenters with groceries and to construct 40,000-square-foot "Neighborhood" grocery stores — as Walmart’s grocery sales climbed from 7 percent nationwide in 2002 to 18 percent in 2011.
                        - See more at: http://www.occupy.com/article/walmar....KIYvGF4C.dpuf

Is WalMart trying to break into the urban markets to grow its sales? And in order to do this, it has to shed its Redneck image?

Same thing with NASCAR. Attendence is falling and falling rather drastically and TV viewers are going away also. Are they trying to gain a larger audience in the Northern states?
                        The last attendance figures released in 2012 for the Daytona 500 showed attendance around 140,000 fans. This sounds great until one realizes that in 2011, just one year before, around 182,000 attended the race. With attendance falling at large races, it is presumable that NASCAR does not want to publicize this phenomenon.

[…]

Furthermore, the television ratings are similarly down. How fans consume live sports has altered across all major sports not just NASCAR. With the major costs that are now associated with attending major sporting events such as tickets and transportation, fans are more likely to watch from their homes on large HDTV’s.

In September 2014, near the conclusion of the NASCAR season, 18 of the 21 Sprint Cup races had declined in ratings. The 2014 Daytona 500 fell to an all-time record low 9.3 million viewers, though it went up against the Sochi Winter Olympics. During NASCAR’s heyday in the mid-2000’s, coverage regularly drew Nielsen ratings in the mid-to-high 4-range. In 2005, for example, TNT coverage topped out at a 4.7, and that number has steadily declined in the decade since. (Ratings for this year’s race have not been released yet).
                        http://www.forbes.com/sites/roberttu...ort-of-nascar/

I think these businesses are trying to rid themselves of a racist redneck image which may be hurting them in their larger market overall.

In the end WalMart may permanently lose a few rural customers, but probably not as many as you’d think. The rural customer is more dependent on WalMart than WalMart on them, since WalMart has driven out so many of the small town merchants.

NASCAR—I don’t know how they think they are going to gain a larger market share by getting rid of a lot of the symbology of their base audience, but I am pretty sure they have done demographic studies and think that they have something to gain from it.

The official acknowledgment of the need for new fans had come a few days before the 2012 season opener, when NASCAR announced its “industry action plan” -- an initiative designed to attract younger and more diverse fans into the grandstands over a five-year period. The league has redesigned its website, created mobile apps, invited mainstream celebrities to attend races and encouraged all drivers to engage their fans on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

With just 30 percent of the league’s 70 million fans between the ages of 18 to 34, NASCAR’s biggest challenge is generational, noted Daniel Pierce, a professor at University of North Carolina Asheville who specializes in the history of stock car racing. “They have to find a way to appeal to a younger generation,” he said. “NASCAR really did push hard in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s to get more women and families involved, and it did a really good job of that, but at the same time it’s lost some of its edge.”
                        http://www.ibtimes.com/nascar-change...future-1639406
                        Homo homini lupus

Comment

It's hard to imagine how WalMart could hurt it's image any more than it already has over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                            Hopefully fans bail on NASCRAP in droves. It's just WWE on wheels anyway.
                            MLB is a much better sport then Nascar. Of course to each their own.

I dont follow nascar so I dont know which races are more popular then others. I wonder how many folks will show up at daytona for the racing events this weekend,

http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...-Calendar.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
                              I think that this removal of Confederate flags from the WalMart stores and the NASCAR has to do with their image problem. They don’t want to appear to be catering to the Southern Redneck faction.

WalMart has been losing market share and NASCAR TV events has been losing viewers. I don’t know if these are regional, i.e., losing northerners from both markets or losing a share of the Southern market as well? Anyone have any idea.

Is WalMart trying to break into the urban markets to grow its sales? And in order to do this, it has to shed its Redneck image?

Same thing with NASCAR. Attendence is falling and falling rather drastically and TV viewers are going away also. Are they trying to gain a larger audience in the Northern states?

I think these businesses are trying to rid themselves of a racist redneck image which may be hurting them in their larger market overall.

In the end WalMart may permanently lose a few rural customers, but probably not as many as you’d think. The rural customer is more dependent on WalMart than WalMart on them, since WalMart has driven out so many of the small town merchants.

NASCAR—I don’t know how they think they are going to gain a larger market share by getting rid of a lot of the symbology of their base audience, but I am pretty sure they have done demographic studies and think that they have something to gain from it.

Walmart not only hurt small mom/pop stores, they also went after Safeway. Walmart purposely opened grocery markets near every Safeway. Last year Albertson bought Safeway for $9.5 billion.

Nascar most likely made their decision due to pressure from sponsors.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X