My prediction on the Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
    Nope, not even close. When it comes to Gay marriage the votes are for it and moving even further in that direction every year.
    Votes? No. Not even close. Only 11 States recognize gay marriage through either legislation or public referenda. 39 States had gay marriage imposed on them by the courts. 37 States had constitutional prohibitions of gay marriage or defined marriage as 1 man and 1 woman.

The 2/3 of State legislatures required to propose a marriage amendment could be attained fairly easily. The 3/4 required for ratification (38) is not unattainable.

The greatest obstacle would be in calling for and organizing a convention, because it's never been done before.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      Votes? No. Not even close. Only 11 States recognize gay marriage through either legislation or public referenda. 39 States had gay marriage imposed on them by the courts. 37 States had constitutional prohibitions of gay marriage or defined marriage as 1 man and 1 woman.

The 2/3 of State legislatures required to propose a marriage amendment could be attained fairly easily. The 3/4 required for ratification (38) is not unattainable.

The greatest obstacle would be in calling for and organizing a convention, because it's never been done before.
      All done how many years ago doc???? It's not the late 90's or early to mid 2000's anymore. You and the GOP are out of touch.

Public opinion on this issue has evolved at a very rapid rate. More so than I've seen on any issue of this magnitude.

That is why I asked the election question. If the GOP base reacts to this and it pushes forward a far right candidate in reaction it could easily blow a fairly even or even lean GOP election.
      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
      “To talk of many things:
      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      And why the sea is boiling hot—
      And whether pigs have wings.”
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Military members have been able to get a same sex marriage and the military benefits that go with it for a couple years. Since the ruling on DOMA in the SCOTUS and DoD's implementation of it. This ruling changes nothing concerning that.

I guess the main difference now is they don't have to travel to do it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-bases-n382601

Comment

Originally posted by squidly View Post
          I guess the main difference now is they don't have to travel to do it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-bases-n382601
          Because of recent court cases it's been legal in 35+ states. Once again, this will change nothing in that regard.
          “To talk of many things:
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
            I am glad that the court ruled this way. A minority has been oppressed for far too long
            hahaha

and now they will finally be able to ahow their love for each other in public.
            And they couldn't do that before? This doesn't change that.

My best friend and his significant other looked into getting married, but it was still illegal in our state.
            Good.

The two had been dating for over a year and I've seen the love they have for each other. It brings me joy that they can finally tie the knot together. No longer will religious conservatives get to define marriage for everyone else. It is a time for celebration and joy everyone. I hope all of you have a magnificent day!
            Ahhh, the mind of a liberal where the ends justify the means. Apparently the Constitution and rule of law mean NOTHING to you people.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger View Post
              hahaha

And they couldn't do that before? This doesn't change that.

Good.

Ahhh, the mind of a liberal where the ends justify the means. Apparently the Constitution and rule of law mean NOTHING to you people.
              The constitution has shown us that the hate you show in this post is NOT the law of the land, as it should.
              “To talk of many things:
              Of cabbages—and kings—
              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

All done how many years ago doc???? It's not the late 90's or early to mid 2000's anymore. You and the GOP are out of touch.

Public opinion on this issue has evolved at a very rapid rate. More so than I've seen on any issue of this magnitude.

That is why I asked the election question. If the GOP base reacts to this and it pushes forward a far right candidate in reaction it could easily blow a fairly even or even lean GOP election.
                In 2001, only 2 States had constitutional gay marriage prohibitions. As of, 2011, 37 States had gay marriage prohibitions.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/06/26/s...tate-by-state/

At this point, there is nothing that any of the GOP presidential candidates can do about this. Barring a major upheaval in Congress and/or SCOTUS, only the State legislatures can fix this.
                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

The constitution has shown us that the hate you show in this post is NOT the law of the land, as it should.
                  Show me where marriage is in the Constitution and how it is a right. I'll wait.

Comment

In 2001, only 2 States had constitutional gay marriage prohibitions. As of, 2011, 37 States had gay marriage prohibitions.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/06/26/s...tate-by-state/

At this point, there is nothing that any of the GOP presidential candidates can do about this. Barring a major upheaval in Congress and/or SCOTUS, only the State legislatures can fix this.
                    Oh, they can do something about it, campaign the heck out of 'WAR on RELIGION!" etc. Already started. The question is the what effect it will have on the GOP base during the Caucuses and Primaries....
                    “To talk of many things:
                    Of cabbages—and kings—
                    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Another poster that is posting in a thread about a ruling he as not even bothered to read. Get back to me when you've read Justice Kennedy's ruling. He answers your question quite nicely.
                      “To talk of many things:
                      Of cabbages—and kings—
                      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Amendment XIV, "The Miracle Amendment"... From infanticide to Chuck & Larriage to repealing most of Article IV and Amendments I, IX and X (so far) ... it's all there.

It was written in between the lines using invisible ink. This is why it took SCOTUS over 100 years to find these Federal powers over the States.

Comment

Oh, they can do something about it, campaign the heck out of 'WAR on RELIGION!" etc. Already started. The question is the what effect it will have on the GOP base during the Caucuses and Primaries....
                          The other interesting side of it will be how the GOP will counter claims about them wanting to "take away our marriage" from distraught, photo hygienic gay couples once the election proper starts.

Now that equal marriage is law, the GOP can create lots of sympathy from offended conservatives, but months from now the argument that the GOP wants to nullify marriages and break up families will be a powerful counter to any candidate promising to roll back the decision in any way.

Comment

Amendment XIV, "The Miracle Amendment"... From infanticide to Chuck & Larriage to repealing most of Article IV and Amendments I, IX and X (so far) ... it's all there.

It was written in between the lines using invisible ink. This is why it took SCOTUS over 100 years to find these Federal powers over the States.

Only a little longer that to realize that money = speech and that corporations are people.....
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                              The other interesting side of it will be how the GOP will counter claims about them wanting to "take away our marriage" from distraught, photo hygienic gay couples once the election proper starts.

Now that equal marriage is law, the GOP can create lots of sympathy from offended conservatives, but months from now the argument that the GOP wants to nullify marriages and break up families will be a powerful counter to any candidate promising to roll back the decision in any way.
                              That and they'll need to show how Gay marriage is making straight couples not marry and to have less children, all points introduced in various court cases....
                              “To talk of many things:
                              Of cabbages—and kings—
                              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Another poster that is posting in a thread about a ruling he as not even bothered to read. Get back to me when you've read Justice Kennedy's ruling. He answers your question quite nicely.
                                Why don't you just answer me?

I've read the delusional opinion. Now once again, please tell me where in the Constitution is marriage deemed to be a right?

Comment

Working...
                                X