Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My prediction on the Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage

Which should be coming any day now.....

I predict they will say states where gay marriage is illegal must recognize marriages enacted in states where it is legal when those couples move from state to state - however, I predict they will not go so far as to say that the right for gays to marry must be legally available in all states.

It hasn't been an activist court lately; seems uninclined to "legislate from the bench".... if they do as I am thinking they sort of get to have it both ways on this one, which would be in character for them.

Just putting it out there, fearless of being wrong since I so often am anyway.

I beg your pardon ,I know I'm not very fluent in English ,but I don't understand a single sentence of your post ,except the part where you write you're often wrong.
    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

I really don't care what the ruling is. The more gay anything becomes mainstream the more it will eventually be irrelevant and then rejected.

I say that not because I care about this issue one way or the other but rather on statistics. When a miniscule sliver of the population who are generally seen as deviant become mainstream that visibility will end up turning against them in the long run.

It is no different for polygamists, bestiality practitioners, S&M, or any other form of deviant sex. Out of the limelight and relegated to some corner of society where no one cares it makes no difference. Bring it into the public eye and keep it there, it's doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        I really don't care what the ruling is. The more gay anything becomes mainstream the more it will eventually be irrelevant and then rejected.

I say that not because I care about this issue one way or the other but rather on statistics. When a miniscule sliver of the population who are generally seen as deviant become mainstream that visibility will end up turning against them in the long run.

It is no different for polygamists, bestiality practitioners, S&M, or any other form of deviant sex. Out of the limelight and relegated to some corner of society where no one cares it makes no difference. Bring it into the public eye and keep it there, it's doomed.
        Hmmm, lets see how that is working so far. Homosexuals have become increasingly 'mainstream' over the past 30 years in Western societies. Over that time support for discrimination against homosexuals has eroded at every level. Popular support, legislative support etc. If it had not the issue of Marriage Equality wouldn't even be getting to legislatures, let alone becoming legal, including in places previously noted for extremely conservative social attitudes.

You really need to stop wedging the world into these models that just give you the answers you want and watch what is actually happening right under your nose.
        Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
          Hmmm, lets see how that is working so far. Homosexuals have become increasingly 'mainstream' over the past 30 years in Western societies. Over that time support for discrimination against homosexuals has eroded at every level. Popular support, legislative support etc. If it had not the issue of Marriage Equality wouldn't even be getting to legislatures, let alone becoming legal, including in places previously noted for extremely conservative social attitudes.

You really need to stop wedging the world into these models that just give you the answers you want and watch what is actually happening right under your nose.
          None of that changes what I said. If being gay means nothing then being gay loses any political power it had. That's my point. When you mainstream a fringe group they lose their political power because nobody cares any longer that they are part of that group.

What I'm saying is, if nobody cares if you are gay, married, trans-whatever, you have no more political issue to argue over or fight for. You become irrelevant.

Let me give you an example. If you are a modern day slave nobody cares because slavery is no longer an issue. Yes, it still exists but it doesn't have an advocate because it is no longer a mainstream issue.

The LGBT front loses its political clout by mainstreaming.

Comment

Look at the Civil Rights movement. Epic-level news in the 50s and 60s. Then they ran out of 'firsts', and it has withered on the vine.

Blacks go to prison three to twelve times more than whites, serve longer actual sentences, longer paroles, live in poverty in greater numbers, and so forth. In the 1930s the black family was the strongest social unit in the USA; today, black children are twice as likely to be raised in a single-parent home.

In the 70s and 80-s you started to see the rise of a black middle class, only to see it greatly diminished by the death of affirmative action and the recent economic dramas. As Obama noted in a speech "We're the first to be laid off and the last to be hired."

TAG is right. Once the 'hip' fact wears off it will be business as usual.

Government-enforced 'acceptance' simply builds a better bigot.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by squidly View Post
              Which should be coming any day now.....

I predict they will say states where gay marriage is illegal must recognize marriages enacted in states where it is legal when those couples move from state to state - however, I predict they will not go so far as to say that the right for gays to marry must be legally available in all states.

It hasn't been an activist court lately; seems uninclined to "legislate from the bench".... if they do as I am thinking they sort of get to have it both ways on this one, which would be in character for them.

Just putting it out there, fearless of being wrong since I so often am anyway.

Safe bet, since the doctrine of legal reciprocity has been with us for a long time.

However, your closing statement is incorrect. SCOTUS has made a practice of "legislating from the bench" for a very long time, and just did it again with their Obamacare ruling when they acted to "preserve the president's signature legislation".
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                Look at the Civil Rights movement. Epic-level news in the 50s and 60s. Then they ran out of 'firsts', and it has withered on the vine.

Blacks go to prison three to twelve times more than whites, serve longer actual sentences, longer paroles, live in poverty in greater numbers, and so forth. In the 1930s the black family was the strongest social unit in the USA; today, black children are twice as likely to be raised in a single-parent home.

In the 70s and 80-s you started to see the rise of a black middle class, only to see it greatly diminished by the death of affirmative action and the recent economic dramas. As Obama noted in a speech "We're the first to be laid off and the last to be hired."

Interesting observation, but since you quoted the Great Liar, it obviously isn't true to begin with. Just some more of Obama's constant community organizer racist rant. If things are so bad, what's he still doing in the White House?

Going to be really interesting when it once again becomes "hip" to be white.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Difference is that one of your kids or siblings (or parents for that matter) isn't going to 'come out' as black, jewish or hispanic. Discrimination against homosexuals only works on a moral level. Once you take that away you just have a bunch of people like everyone else. They aren't a particular culture, religion, class or race. They cross all those boundaries. Homosexuals are already 'integrated', society & the law are just catching up, and they are catching p faster than anyone could possibly imagine.

The bigots will just have to stick with making excuses for slavery.
                  Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Kennedy is in the bag... "Chuck and Larriage" will be forced on all 50 States. The only mystery is whether or not Roberts bolts again to make it appear less ideological.
                    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Well it's official. Legal in all states.

Comment

The opinion and the dissents.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...4-556_3204.pdf
                        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                        “To talk of many things:
                        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                        Of cabbages—and kings—
                        And why the sea is boiling hot—
                        And whether pigs have wings.”
                        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Congratulations
                          "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                          G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                          Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Done and dusted. Hopefully this will add pressure to our own craven legislators to legalize it here.

The great fear of conservatives is that once you take away the legal props for discrimination the moral aspect won't be enough to stop homosexuality from being treated as just a normal part of a diverse society. Thus far those fears have been realized at every turn, and I suspect they will be again.

Well done America!

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                              The Miracle Amendment strikes again...
                              The Fourteenth Amendment requires a State to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-State...

Why doesn't the Miracle Amendment requires a State to license a marriage between any number of people of whatever sex and to recognize a marriage between whatever permutations when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-State?

The ruling lacks any form of logic and elevates the Miracle Amendment to new heights of absurdity... SOP for most of the past 40 years.
                              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X