Wisconsin school district bans American Indian team logos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin school district bans American Indian team logos

Starting this fall, public school students in Wisconsin's capital city cannot wear shirts, hats or other items that display the name, logo or mascot of any team that portrays a "negative stereotype" of American Indians. Those who do must change or face suspension or expulsion.
    "The existence of these mascots destroys our self-esteem. The existence of these mascots shows us how people really think of us," Gabriel Saiz, a junior at Madison West High, told the city school board in May shortly before it voted unanimously to adopt the policy.

The district's dress code says a list of prohibited logos and mascots would be made available before the beginning of the school year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wis...QjqO?ocid=iehp
    “Come and take it!"

So, the question is, what constitutes a "positive stereotype" of native Americans?

Comment

I'm a card carrying member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. I'm offended that these people are offended. Political correctness is going to destroy this country.

Comment

Originally posted by CodeTalker View Post
        I'm a card carrying member of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. I'm offended that these people are offended. Political correctness is going to destroy this country.
        I'll drink to that.

But seriously folks, this district is being just a tad silly. I suspect that before too long they'll be the butt of opening monologues on all the late night talk shows. Wonder what they'll do in response to that -- ban television?
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          So, the question is, what constitutes a "positive stereotype" of native Americans?

I guess being the Stanley Cup winner won't cut it!

Last edited by ForIAmSparticus; 25 Jun 15, 13:07.
          “Come and take it!"

Comment

You really think Native Americans like this sort of thing?

Cleveland Indians:

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post

Cleveland Indians:

What is wrong with it? A native American smiling?

You don't hardly see anyone complaining about the Notre Dame Fighting Irish which is a worse depiction of Irish people.

“Come and take it!"

Comment

Cleveland Indians:

Baseball fans are nauseated by it.

Rimshot

Comment

Originally posted by ForIAmSparticus View Post
                  What is wrong with it? A native American smiling?

You don't hardly see anyone complaining about the Notre Dame Fighting Irish which is a worse depiction of Irish people.

Save the Irish for a separate thread. Try to stay on topic. This one is about Native Americans and I'll bet that if you ask a Native American, he'll find Chief Wahoo offensive.

Wait, they've already spoken out. From last year:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...ief-wahoo-logo

This year:

http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/inde...ief_wahoo.html

Guess it's more than just a "smiling Native American" to them.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                    Baseball fans are nauseated by it.

Rimshot
                    No need for a rimshot. In this day and age, that logo is nauseating.

Comment

Save the Irish for a separate thread. Try to stay on topic. This one is about Native Americans and I'll bet that if you ask a Native American, he'll find Chief Wahoo offensive.

Wait, they've already spoken out. From last year:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...ief-wahoo-logo

This year:

http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/inde...ief_wahoo.html

Guess it's more than just a "smiling Native American" to them.
                      $9 billion dollars are you kidding me? Since when can you get compensation for having your feelings hurt. Almost every professional team whose mascot is a human could make the same argument that their mascot is disparaging them.

The mascot is a caricature of course its going to be stereotypical. That doesn't mean that a professional sports team is racist for using that likeness as a mascot. People need to toughen up if they are so easily offended by a mascot.
                      “Come and take it!"

Comment

I fully agree. The logo is beyond nauseating. It degrades and makes fun of an entire race of people.
                        First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                          I fully agree. The logo is beyond nauseating. It degrades and makes fun of an entire race of people.
                          How is it making fun of them? Why would a team choose a mascot to represent them who they wish to make fun of?
                          “Come and take it!"

Comment

Wow, people just sicken me anymore. Wah somebody drew a picture I don't like! I deserve money! Wah! Get over yourselves.
                            "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

No need for a rimshot. In this day and age, that logo is nauseating.
                              It'd be one thing if Chief Wahoo was depicted scalping an enemy, or kidnapping a white woman, or getting drunk on the reservation -- but he's not. All he's doing is smiling. What stereotype -- negative or positive -- is he portraying? I can get the controversy over the Washington Redskins (kinda) but not over the Cleveland Indians. Maybe Native Americans don't want to be associated with the City of Cleveland. Who can blame them?

The Seal of the City of New York portrays an Indian.

There he's shown in a loin cloth, with a shaved head, a beaver, and a sailor. That's got to be more offensive -- on so many levels -- than smiling Chief Wahoo.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X