X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Freddie Grey case looking bad for Mosby

A copy of the autopsy report is out.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/aut...tE?ocid=SMSDHP

I surmise that 3, possibly 4, of the officers involved are going to walk with no charges. It doesn't look good for the rest of the charges either...

Autopsy Says Freddie Gray Died After Sustaining 'High-Energy Injury' in Police Van

The Baltimore state medical examiner's office has found that Freddie Gray likely died from a single "high-energy injury" sustained as he rode shackled in the back of a police van on the day of his arrest, according to an autopsy report obtained by the Baltimore Sun.

The autopsy report suggested that Gray may have attempted to stand up during the van ride, and that the injury could have occurred as he was thrown against the van wall when the vehicle changed direction, according to the Sun.

The findings, which have not yet been released publicly, adds to the detailed timeline of events that occurred on April 12 as police transported Gray, 25, from the scene of his arrest to the police station. Officers reportedly did not secure Gray in a seatbelt during the ride, a violation of departmental policy, and repeatedly denied him medical assistance, investigators have revealed.
    VICE News - Full Article

Comment

Some hi lights...

Gray tested positive for opiates and cannabinoid when he was admitted to Maryland Shock Trauma Center, according to the autopsy. The report makes no further reference to the drugs found in his system.
      This is going to be hard to explain to a jury...

While bystanders captured his arrest on video, showing Gray moaning for help, the autopsy concluded that Gray suffered no injuries to suggest a neck hold or stemming from physical restraint. Assistant medical examiner Carol H. Allan noted that Gray could be seen bearing weight on his legs and speaking as he was loaded into the van.
      That pretty much finishes the charges against the arresting officers.

Officers placed Gray on a metal bench running from front to back along the outside wall of the van. After the doors were closed, he could be heard yelling and banging, “causing the van to rock,” the autopsy noted.

The van made several stops. The second stop occurred a few blocks away, where officers placed an identification band and leg restraints on Gray.

“Reportedly, Mr. Gray was still yelling and shaking the van,” the medical examiner wrote. “He was removed from the van and placed on the ground in a kneeling position, facing the van doors, while ankle cuffs were placed, and then slid onto the floor of the van, belly down and head first, reportedly still verbally and physically active.”
      Self inflicted? That's another hard sell to deny to a jury.

Authorities previously said the third stop was captured on video, which showed the van driver, Goodson, getting out and looking in the back.

During a fourth stop, authorities said Goodson called for assistance, at which point Sgt. Alicia White, one of the officers who has been charged with manslaughter, got involved.

“The assisting officer opened the doors and observed Mr. Gray lying belly down on the floor with his head facing the cabin compartment, and reportedly he was asking for help, saying he couldn’t breathe, couldn’t get up, and needed a medic,” the autopsy says. “The officer assisted Mr. Gray to the bench and the van continued on its way.”
      I suspect that officer White's attorneys will demolish the prosecution's case with a jury on those facts.

When the van made a fifth stop to pick up a second arrestee, “Mr. Gray was found kneeling on the floor, facing the front of the van and slumped over to his right against the bench, and reportedly appeared lethargic with minimal responses to direct questions,” the report says.

The medical examiner concluded that Gray’s most significant injury was to the lower left part of his head. Given the descriptions of his demeanor and positioning in the van, it most likely occurred after the second and before fourth stops made by the van driver, and possibly before the third stop, according to the autopsy.

While it’s possible Gray was hurt while lying on the floor and moving back and forth, Allan determined his body likely couldn’t have moved in that position with enough force to cause his injuries.

Allan surmised that Gray could have gotten to his feet using the bench and opposite wall. With his hands and ankles restrained, and unable to see out of the van and anticipate turns, she said he was at a high risk for an unsupported fall.
      I think a semi-competent defense attorney could make a good argument it was self inflicted by an angry man high on drugs...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Some hi lights...

This is going to be hard to explain to a jury...

That pretty much finishes the charges against the arresting officers.

Self inflicted? That's another hard sell to deny to a jury.

I suspect that officer White's attorneys will demolish the prosecution's case with a jury on those facts.

I think a semi-competent defense attorney could make a good argument it was self inflicted by an angry man high on drugs...
        It might turn into a case of "why wasn't he restrained with a seat belt, which is against directives" sort of case.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
          It might turn into a case of "why wasn't he restrained with a seat belt, which is against directives" sort of case.
          But, that puts it back on the van driver and maybe, maybe White. The other officers involved are not the ones that would have done that or not. Again, it's looking like half or more will walk with no charges.

For instance, the two arresting officers can be charged with...? At most there is the questionable reason for Grey's arrest. But, even that is going to be hard to sell to a jury. If the officers acted in a reasonable manner it will be hard to argue that their intent was malicious or done for purely illegal reasons.

Comment

Mosby hasn't got a case and she never did.

Restraining a violent arrestee with a seat belt is asking for self-injury. Throughout this event, the officers acted calmly, rationally and in the best interests of law and order.

Know what shackled inmates use to bang a van hard enough to rock it? Their heads.
            Try it sometime with your own wrists cuffed together - you can't get enough leverage with anything but your neck and shoulder muscles.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Looks to me that Freddie Gray is the cause of his own misfortune, injury, and death.

I would say that Mosby screwed the pooch and undoubtedly this will come out in the end.

In short, she and the mayor of Baltimore are a couple of prize-winning idiots.

Sincerely,
              M
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

I wonder how bad the riots will be when they are acquitted?
                “Come and take it!"

Comment

Originally posted by ForIAmSparticus View Post
                  I wonder how bad the riots will be when they are acquitted?
                  Other than passing interest on television, I don't really care if Baltimore's residents burn their own neighborhoods to the ground in protest...

Comment

I agree. Mosby is Mosby's biggest problem. Maybe the whites will riot in retribution?

Nah....

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                      ...I would say that Mosby screwed the pooch...
                      I agree.

Comment

No...Mosby let the pooch off the chain and it screwed her.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          Other than passing interest on television, I don't really care if Baltimore's residents burn their own neighborhoods to the ground in protest...
                          Must be some kind of racist or something..

“Come and take it!"

Comment

Why?

Comment

A man died in police custody. His arrest was questionable if not outright illegal. The officers involved did not follow policy which caused the man's death. Who disputes any of this?
                              First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X