Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Confederate flag be removed from SC statehouse grounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BorderRuffian
    replied
    Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
    White guilt.... she needs to step down and move on.

I like this youtube comment: Just like 98% of all other politicians, she is fake as ****. Where was she with all of these "Feelings" before the shooting? She didn't think anything of it.
    She's hysterical.

The families of the victims "forgave" the shooter...but want the flag down.
    In other words they want to stigmatize anyone who has a Confederate flag with the acts of Dylann Roof.
    That's forgiveness?

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
    ...except that many of the people who wanted the flag down are motivated by hate. Don't see any basis for 'unity' there.
    There's truth to that. There are good reasons for removing the flag but "seeing the Confederate flag offends my delicate left wing sensibilities and I don't like having my feelings hurt" isn't one of them.

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
    Well partner here is one person whom seems offended by the CBF,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiyOgFk6bfI

The lady above also claims to be a descendant of Jefferson Davis.

Fwiw I do not agree with how Rep. Jenny Horne handled things. If I was in Hornes position I would be using my position to get CSA supporters and non CSA supporters to find common ground. The enemy after all is in Iraq and Syria, of course I'm talking about ISIL here. This CSA flag thing has divided people, and what I believe in is unity. One thing I would also do If I was in Hornes position would be to politely ask members of the community how they felt about the CSA flag and then go from there.
    White guilt.... she needs to step down and move on.

I like this youtube comment: Just like 98% of all other politicians, she is fake as ****. Where was she with all of these "Feelings" before the shooting? She didn't think anything of it.

Leave a comment:

• BorderRuffian
    replied
    Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post

Fwiw I do not agree with how Rep. Jenny Horne handled things. If I was in Hornes position I would be using my position to get CSA supporters and non CSA supporters to find common ground. The enemy after all is in Iraq and Syria, of course I'm talking about ISIL here. This CSA flag thing has divided people, and what I believe in is unity....
    ...except that many of the people who wanted the flag down are motivated by hate. Don't see any basis for 'unity' there.

Leave a comment:

• Taieb el-Okbi
    replied
    Still waiting to see one documented case of someone actually being "offended" by the CBF. Anyone?

Fwiw I do not agree with how Rep. Jenny Horne handled things. If I was in Hornes position I would be using my position to get CSA supporters and non CSA supporters to find common ground. The enemy after all is in Iraq and Syria, of course I'm talking about ISIL here. This CSA flag thing has divided people, and what I believe in is unity. One thing I would also do If I was in Hornes position would be to politely ask members of the community how they felt about the CSA flag and then go from there.

Leave a comment:

• Daemon of Decay
    replied
    Governor to sign bill removing Confederate flag on Thursday

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) More than 50 years after South Carolina raised a Confederate flag at its Statehouse to protest the civil rights movement, the state is getting ready to remove the rebel banner.

A bill pulling down the flag from the Capitol's front lawn and the flagpole it flies on passed the South Carolina House early Thursday morning. Gov. Nikki Haley said she would sign it into law at 4 p.m. Thursday in the Statehouse lobby. Her office didn't immediately say when the flag would be removed, but the bill requires that to happen within 24 hours of her signature. Then, it will be shipped to the Confederate Relic Room.

There were hugs, tears and high fives in the House chamber after the vote. Members who waited decades to see this day snapped selfies and pumped their fists. But even among the celebrations, there was more than a bit of sadness.

After the Civil War, the flag was first flown over the dome of South Carolina's Capitol in 1961 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the war. It stayed as a protest to the Civil Rights movement, only moving in 2000 from the dome to its current location.
    AP - Full Article

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    There were several claims of being offended during the impassioned speeches this morning in the Caroline legislature, with one lady pointing out rather heatedly that she is from a long line of Carolinians and she "has a heritage too".

These days, one is offended if one claims to be. No "proof" is neccessary, and I'm not even sure what form such proof would take, since being offended is a state of mind, not a physical change.
    Sounds like serious BS, you can't be offended by the CBF if you are not offended by Rap and the N-word lyrics.

Leave a comment:

• guthrieba
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    There were several claims of being offended during the impassioned speeches this morning in the Caroline legislature, with one lady pointing out rather heatedly that she is from a long line of Carolinians and she "has a heritage too".

These days, one is offended if one claims to be. No "proof" is neccessary, and I'm not even sure what form such proof would take, since being offended is a state of mind, not a physical change.
    I have identified as "offended" since childhood. I am proud to use this forum as the venue of my public outing.

I trust that I will be hailed for my bravery for this public declaration.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Still waiting to see one documented case of someone actually being "offended" by the CBF. Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• BorderRuffian
    replied
    Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
    Neo-Nazis use the US flag all across the country.
    American Nazis - 1930s
    Neo-Nazi movement - 1959-Present

A near 80 year history of using the US flag.

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BorderRuffian
    replied
    Selective condemnation of a symbol.

Neo-Nazis use the US flag all across the country.

Leave a comment:

• Gaius_Marius
    replied
    Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
    Well, it will be gone along with the flagpole. So will the flags over the graves of those that died fighting in the Civil War as the racist left continue their purge to rewrite history before yesterday.
    Buzz words and a complete inversion of the truth. Things never change here.

Leave a comment:

• SRV Ron
    replied
    Well, it will be gone along with the flagpole. So will the flags over the graves of those that died fighting in the Civil War as the racist left continue their purge to rewrite history before yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied
    Originally posted by ljadw View Post
    To be a traitor or a hero is only a question of success or failure .
    Very, very true.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X