Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Confederate flag be removed from SC statehouse grounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hahahahahahha....:

#occupyarmchairgeneral.
    Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
    Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

• Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
      And I'm offended by your being offended at their offense.
      Duly noted. (Yawn!)

GG
      "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

• Change my vote from undecided to no. The screaming mob hysteria killed my sympathy for the yes vote. This has gone from a serious discussion to shrieking moral panic.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
          Change my vote from undecided to no. The screaming mob hysteria killed my sympathy for the yes vote. This has gone from a serious discussion to shrieking moral panic.
          Well...in recognition I'll buy you a set of cheaply made in China pair of these...

....as this would probably be too expensive ...

Strange that something so trivial, the opinions and rants of others, would make one suddenly support the flying of a flag that represents the denial of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness....but whatever...
          Last edited by Crash; 28 Jun 15, 13:28.
          #occupyarmchairgeneral.
          Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Crash View Post
            Well...in recognition I'll buy you a set of cheaply made in China pair of these...

....as this would probably be too expensive ...

Strange that something so trivial, the opinions and rants of others, would make one suddenly support the flying of a flag that represents the denial of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness....but whatever...
            See quote. And my posts on who determines the meaning of what.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=160735
            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

• I'll tack one other thing onto my point. With symbols like the Confederate flag - or swastika or any other symbol to which people attribute different meanings and significance: WHY you are raising the symbol is more important than the symbol itself. A Confederate flag raised to express hate expresses hate. A Confederate flag raised to express historical heritage represents historical heritage. Therefore judge the intent.

Mine is to thumb my nose at hysterics.

Comment

I'll tack one other thing onto my point. With symbols like the Confederate flag - or swastika or any other symbol to which people attribute different meanings and significance: WHY you are raising the symbol is more important than the symbol itself. A Confederate flag raised to express hate expresses hate. A Confederate flag raised to express historical heritage represents historical heritage. Therefore judge the intent.

Ah...yes the old heritage vrs racism argument...but the fact it's a racist heritage.

You might want to re-write history but the flag has always represented the denial of rights to black people.
                #occupyarmchairgeneral.

Comment

I'll tack one other thing onto my point. With symbols like the Confederate flag - or swastika or any other symbol to which people attribute different meanings and significance: WHY you are raising the symbol is more important than the symbol itself. A Confederate flag raised to express hate expresses hate. A Confederate flag raised to express historical heritage represents historical heritage. Therefore judge the intent.

To add to your point, how about Penn and Teller and their well-known act where they burn an American flag... in celebration of that flag?

Intent is a big part of interpretation, most certainly.

A joke we say amongst friends is not the same when delivered by a stranger.

However, even the most well-intended or innocent act can still come across the wrong way, and to ignore that reality is to invite anger and misunderstanding as people talk past one another.

Flying a Nazi flag just because you like the stark colors doesn't change that people can and will take note and view it in a far different way than you might have intended. Remember that case a few years ago where the band leader had students run out onto the field with the different flags of the combatants of WW2 - including the Nazi flag?

His intent was not to celebrate fascism, but that didn't mean people appreciated his act or saw it how he wanted.

Comment

• Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                    Probably the same clown that did this. Happy now?

Nope. Why would I be happy?

Comment

Hysterics notwithstanding, why is the US the only nation that tolerates the celebration of people who were traitors and tried to rend the nation apart?

Heritage be damned! That heritage is one of treason and slavery. Celebrate and honor that? No freaking way!
                      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by guthrieba View Post
                        Somehow though, the removal of the Confederate Battleflag from public display seems to have become a way to assuage the vileness and evil of the church attack in Charleston.
                        ?????? SOMEBODY has really got a far reaching imagination to make the "connection".

Then, again, maybe there isn't any more important, earth shattering, mind boggling attention getters left to contemplate.....

Come on! Get a life!

GG
                        "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

Comment

• Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
                          ?????? SOMEBODY has really got a far reaching imagination to make the "connection".

Then, again, maybe there isn't any more important, earth shattering, mind boggling attention getters left to contemplate.....

Come on! Get a life!

GG
                          Umm...the killer and the flag in question. Connection made.

Comment

• Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                            Umm...the killer and the flag in question. Connection made.

That's pretty sad.

Best go after Golds Gyms too. (I see where he is wearing a shirt.... shudder!)

So, according to you.... all killers have to watch what they wear/carry. On the other hand, maybe I can "get back" at (name your least favorite corporation here) by wearing their logo and committing a murder!

I'll say it again: GET A LIFE!

GG

Comment

That's pretty sad.

So, according to you.... all killers have to watch what they wear/carry. On the other hand, maybe I can "get back" at (name your least favorite corporation here) by wearing their logo and committing a murder!

GG
                              Won't or cannot see the truth in front of your eyes. Bob has a life, you need glasses and not rose colored.
                              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

That's pretty sad.

GG
                                Get a clue.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X