Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Confederate flag be removed from SC statehouse grounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Well, I spent a number of years in the Deep South and they are some of the best people you can ask for. Open and friendly at least if your white. The only two states that I have run into open racism was TX and SC. TX from whites and SC from blacks. No one way street or this subject.
    The idea that only whites can be racist is one of those great unspoken myths.

I lived in Asia for years growing up, and some of the most explicit yet ignorant racism I ever experienced was there.

Racism as a topic is never simple, sadly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
      Maybe we can legislate that this flag be flown at every confederate monument and war grave? I'm sure nobody would complain about the offensiveness then.
      Why not just knock all the monuments down and try to erase history.
      My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
        It's the Soup of the Day for the progressive and PC crowd right now guthrieba and it's driven by the media, next week or so they'll move on to something else.
        You are undoubtedly correct, which makes the vehemence and urgency even more laughable. I really don't understand how one could want to be in a state of perpetual turmoil.
        Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

• Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          Why not just knock all the monuments down and try to erase history.
          Oh come now, no need to be offended by the thought. It would certainly make the confederacy more palatable if every monument was forced to bear a flag saying 'we were scum' out front. That way everyone gets their wish. Pretty clever, right?

Besides, it's not like anyone would be bothered by a little old flag. It's a win-win!

Comment

• Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
            It's the Soup of the Day for the progressive and PC crowd right now guthrieba and it's driven by the media, next week or so they'll move on to something else.
            This is indeed the quote of the day when it is posted on a forum full of conservatives in a permanent state of outrage over the 'issue of the day'.....whatever that issue might be today. Its like '5 minutes of hate' on a constant loop.
            Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by BF69 View Post
              This is indeed the quote of the day when it is posted on a forum full of conservatives in a permanent state of outrage over the 'issue of the day'.....whatever that issue might be today. Its like '5 minutes of hate' on a constant loop.
              Yes, those darn conservatives calling for the sale of the Battle Flag to be halted in National Park Service gift shops and speculating whether the Jefferson Memorial should be torn down. Yes, they are the ones in a state of permanent outrage....
              Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

• Well, if the Battle Flag is so offensive.....can they fly the 1st National instead? After all, it's an American Flag......
                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                  Well, if the Battle Flag is so offensive.....can they fly the 1st National instead? After all, it's an American Flag......
                  I've always liked the 1st National.

Comment

• Originally posted by guthrieba View Post
                    I've always liked the 1st National.
                    I much prefer the 3rd national myself.

Comment

I much prefer the 3rd national myself.
                      Not my cup of tea, but ok!

Comment

• Originally posted by guthrieba View Post
                        Not my cup of tea, but ok!
                        I am a sucker for white and red flags - I also love the design for Northern Cyprus' flag.

To be fair, I think the 3rd national would be better if the battle flag were replaced with something else - something a little simpler and not so busy - but the stark contrast of the colors is pleasing to the eye.

Comment

Oh come now, no need to be offended by the thought. It would certainly make the confederacy more palatable if every monument was forced to bear a flag saying 'we were scum' out front. That way everyone gets their wish. Pretty clever, right?

Besides, it's not like anyone would be bothered by a little old flag. It's a win-win!
                          Go for it, you can try to erase history but some things you just can't.
                          My worst jump story:
                          No lie.

~
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Go for it, you can try to erase history but some things you just can't.
                            And how is that erasing history?

Comment

And how is that erasing history?
                              Apparently you're not listening to the black assemblage.
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Apparently you're not listening to the black assemblage.
                                I'm asking you how putting up a different flag is, in your words, erasing history.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X