Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Confederate flag be removed from SC statehouse grounds?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by guthrieba View Post
    I guess I don't understand why this issue was unimportant two weeks ago but now we find flag manufacturing companies halting production of the Battle Flag and the National Park Service trying to prohibit the sale of the same in gift shops at national parks.

    The only event to which I can ascribe this turn of events is the Charleston Church shooting.

    Again, I think that the Battle Flag should be removed from the State House grounds. I remain amazed by the new-found urgency and vehemence of the debate.
    It's the Soup of the Day for the progressive and PC crowd right now guthrieba and it's driven by the media, next week or so they'll move on to something else.
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
      It's the Soup of the Day for the progressive and PC crowd right now guthrieba and it's driven by the media, next week or so they'll move on to something else.
      Can't rep you yet.

      And it's also about money. They (the PC crowd) see a chance to get some money out of their complaining, as they push their agenda upon an unwilling nation. I'll stand by that.
      The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

      Comment


      • Every Southern state should fly the CSA flag at their capitol building.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Charger View Post
          Every Southern state should fly the CSA flag at their capitol building.
          And yet the only action on that front is one state has taken it down, Alabama.... not going your way at all....
          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
            And yet the only action on that front is one state has taken it down, Alabama.... not going your way at all....
            A quote about the dustbin of history springs to mind.

            Comment


            • I think that a country that allows much in the way of freedom of expression must allow the flag to be flown PRIVATELY. Flying this symbol on state buildings endorses what it stood for when it was used during the Civil War. Whether it was the first flag of the confederacy or a portion of the subsequent flags or a battle flag it was the symbol of those that were fighting, in a large part, for the right to own slaves. A symbol like this can not be endorsed by state, county or local officials at any level, for any purpose. What is done by anyone privately is suppoted by the constitution and must be supported completely...on private property or in a private gathering. Ignorance, stupidity and racism are all completely supported by the constitution.

              GOD BLESS AMERICA
              John

              Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Charger View Post
                Every Southern state should fly the CSA flag at their capitol building.
                Why?

                War is capture the flag with guns.

                The South lost; time to capture those flags.
                "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

                BoRG

                Comment


                • The Confederate flag should have never been allowed to fly on any state building. It is a flag that represents a people who wanted to tear this country apart and doesn't make any sense why this flag flies on state buildings.
                  “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
                  ― Groucho Marx

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                    The Confederate flag should have never been allowed to fly on any state building. It is a flag that represents a people who wanted to tear this country apart and doesn't make any sense why this flag flies on state buildings.
                    Constitutionally (yeah we still have one of those I think) the federal government can't tell the states what flags to fly or not to fly at their state capitols or on any other state building. Federal law as it pertains to such applies only to federal buildings and property.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by squidly View Post
                      Constitutionally (yeah we still have one of those I think) the federal government can't tell the states what flags to fly or not to fly at their state capitols or on any other state building. Federal law as it pertains to such applies only to federal buildings and property.
                      There are probably a lot of things the states could do "constitutionally" but one would certainly have to ask why any state would want to fly a flag that stands for division of this country and racism. I woul ask why people want to display such a symbol. It seems to me that it puts out a message that no rational, mature adult would want tp put out. (I'm going to guess that when the federal government wants to stop a state from displaying a symbol of hate it has its ways.)
                      John

                      Play La Marseillaise. Play it!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by JBark View Post
                        There are probably a lot of things the states could do "constitutionally" but one would certainly have to ask why any state would want to fly a flag that stands for division of this country and racism. I woul ask why people want to display such a symbol. It seems to me that it puts out a message that no rational, mature adult would want tp put out. (I'm going to guess that when the federal government wants to stop a state from displaying a symbol of hate it has its ways.)
                        Valid questions, but the fact is that it's the individual state's business and no one else's.

                        re: "symbol of hate"..... the 1st Amendment has something to say about that

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                          The Confederate flag should have never been allowed to fly on any state building. It is a flag that represents a people who wanted to tear this country apart and doesn't make any sense why this flag flies on state buildings.
                          What about Mississippi, they shouldn't fly their State Flag over their Capital?
                          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                            What about Mississippi, they shouldn't fly their State Flag over their Capital?
                            Not if they are apart of the US today. Generally speaking MS is still a hundred years lost in the past. The state is #1 in just about anything negative.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                            Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                            you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              Not if they are apart of the US today. Generally speaking MS is still a hundred years lost in the past. The state is #1 in just about anything negative.
                              Welcome to the south.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                                Welcome to the south.
                                Well, I spent a number of years in the Deep South and they are some of the best people you can ask for. Open and friendly at least if your white. The only two states that I have run into open racism was TX and SC. TX from whites and SC from blacks. No one way street or this subject.
                                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                                Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                                you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X