Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Confederate flag be removed from SC statehouse grounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
    So how many blacks were offended by Kerry?
    What is it with you and the blacks? If you were any older I'd think that one had run away from you or something.

Last edited by slick_miester; 25 Jun 15, 18:23.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
      Offensiveness is dependent upon many, many factors. Nobody is claiming that the confederate flag should be removed from history, deleted from text books, or otherwise banned from private hands.

What is offensive is that a symbol of racism and oppression to many American's is placed out in front of a government building on public property.

Hearing the n-word in a rap song is far different than if the n-word was carved into the capitol building by the local government, wouldn't you agree?
      Sorry, but that is a white wash. The Confederate flag is at a monument on the capital grounds, it is there for the fallen confederates honored by that monument.
      My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
        Please find an opponent of the flag being on the Capital grounds that makes that contention.

Many African-American residents of SC see the CBF as a poke at them and at the Feds when the SC government raised it over the Capital dome in 1962 and then in a political deal moved it to its current location in 2001. The killer was an blatant racist that killed for his racist beliefs. Racism is the tie between the killings and the flag.
        I guess I don't understand why this issue was unimportant two weeks ago but now we find flag manufacturing companies halting production of the Battle Flag and the National Park Service trying to prohibit the sale of the same in gift shops at national parks.

The only event to which I can ascribe this turn of events is the Charleston Church shooting.

Again, I think that the Battle Flag should be removed from the State House grounds. I remain amazed by the new-found urgency and vehemence of the debate.
        Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

That bit of irony is apropos of the Lost Cause movement, to be sure.
          So anyone who takes a different view than do you is an adherent of the Lost Cause?
          Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
            What is it with you and the blacks? If you were any older I'd think that one had run away from you or something.

This isn't personal so don't make it as such. The point being is that no one has demonstrated being offended, by a flag, a Snapple label, a fairytale, or the n-word. You've just been bamboozled again.
            My worst jump story:
            No lie.

~
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

This isn't personal so don't make it as such. The point being is that no one has demonstrated being offended, by a flag, a Snapple label, a fairytale, or the n-word. You've just been bamboozled again.
              I suspect that you've hit upon something here - this kerfuffle is really nothing more than an effort to stir up a political faction.

Comment

• Originally posted by guthrieba View Post

I suspect that you've hit upon something here - this kerfuffle is really nothing more than an effort to stir up a political faction.
                You nailed it, and as long as we allow it to continue anything (white) is fair game.
                My worst jump story:
                No lie.

~
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

BTW, what was the flag used on slave ships transporting blacks to the United States?
                  Mostly whatever the British merchant marine flying. Probably the Red Ensign. Probably not the answer you were after.
                  Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                    Mostly whatever the British merchant marine flying. Probably the Red Ensign. Probably not the answer you were after.
                    As well as many others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wanderer_(slave_ship)
                    My worst jump story:
                    No lie.

~
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Still undecided about this; from an ethical/moral standpoint, the CBF represents more than just Southern Pride unfortunately. OTOH, it also represents a very very significant part of American history and this, too, is unfortunate in many ways. Pulling it from historical games is kind of stupid. From store shelves, it's a retailers choice. Many of the arguments supporting the CBF seem to be stridently historical Southern narrative and rarely, if ever, acknowledge that the CBF could ever be considered objectionable or offensive. This is problematic for CBF defenders and makes it difficult to bring greater credence to some of their cogent arguments. In any event, it's interesting to see how things devolve and evolve. It's more than just a flag and cuts both ways which all parties must admit too.

Comment

• If the U.S. didn't have a serious racial problem then we could just write it off as history. That however is not the case.

Even without slavery the history of other countries show that class divisions that are at least partly ethnic (racial) in origin have always been a serious problem in human relations. As supporters of the confederate flag have pointed out bigotry is universal. The universal presence of prejudice should not however make us indifferent or less concerned about the issue.

Removing the confederate flag will have a negligible impact on racial relations. This is almost certain to be the case. That however does not negate the fact that for many people it is a symbol of discrimination. It's removal will also have a negligible effect on those who think it should be retained. It is also likely that giving in to what many have labeled as race baiter is also not going to have any lasting effect.

One can't help but think that the only reason there are 29 pages of discussion is that for some the civil war never ended.
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

You nailed it, and as long as we allow it to continue anything (white) is fair game.
                          Yeah one of them even got to the White House, if you circle the wagons now perhaps you can stop another one getting through.

What 'white' stuff is now going to be fair game as your darker toned neighbours come for you.
                          "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                          G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                          Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

• One flag to offend someone from every side:

“The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                            “To talk of many things:
                            Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                            Of cabbages—and kings—
                            And why the sea is boiling hot—
                            And whether pigs have wings.”
                            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Fantastic!
                              Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                                One flag to offend someone from every side:

Maybe we can legislate that this flag be flown at every confederate monument and war grave? I'm sure nobody would complain about the offensiveness then.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X