Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Confederate flag be removed from SC statehouse grounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nikki View Post
    To me this flag is a symbol of country western music. I don't associate it with what occurred when it was first raised.

Kayne West even used the flag on his Yeezus Tour apparel.

If he was white he would be labeled a "racist."
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
      Who fired the first shots?
      Who was the first casualty?
      My worst jump story:
      No lie.

~
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        I submit that the US' war against the CSA wasn't total enough, as evidenced by the development of the KKK and Jim Crow. Had the North's war been truly total, then none of that would have occurred: it would have been snuffed out in utero, so to speak.
        What? The KKK was all over the US, to include the north, west, and east.
        My worst jump story:
        No lie.

~
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
          The Confederacy was a foreign power occupying a large hunk of US territory.
          Prove that the Confederacy was a foreign power. Waiting....
          My worst jump story:
          No lie.

~
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
            I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.

by:

Abraham Lincoln

Go ahead and tell me all about it, but don't forget that several Union states continued to allow slavery until 1865. Therefore, the American flag must be taken down also.
            Exactly, Lincoln didn't give damn about slaves, so the Lincoln Memorial must be demolished as well since it symbolizes racism.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Exactly, Lincoln didn't give damn about slaves, so the Lincoln Memorial must be demolished as well since it symbolizes racism.
              A better solution.

My worst jump story:
              No lie.

~
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                If the N-word doesn't hurt feeling than surely the flag doesn't either, and if it does I don't see anyone jumping off a bridge over it. This is just about ignorant people making an issue about nothing, same as in the past. Look at the Snapple label and the Sambo fairy tale... that they complained about.... what a joke. Causing problems seems to be a past time among many.
                I think the fact that so many people do think this is about 'nothing' is a reflection of the issue itself, really.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                  Hi

Despite any historical debate, the flag here & now is overtly divisive to a large segment of American society.

If people want to fly any flag within their property boundaries and co-currant with zoning laws etc, then by all means do so, and live with any consequences that follow.
                  I often fly the Cross of St George if I'm home in the US on April 23rd, its the only day that the Stars n Stripes is below another flag, along with the Queens official birthday in June. Many of my neighbours haven't a clue what it represents but I explain thats it's much like when many Irish-Americans bring out their tricolours to celebrate St Patricks Day

However, when it comes to State property I would be against such divisive flags being allowed.

Regards

Andy H
                  That's pretty much been the major argument - the state should not be flying a flag that a significant number of Americans see as a symbol of racism and slavery in front of a major public government building.

There are not mass cries to ban the confederate flag from private hands or the other hysterics we see suggested. The 1st Amendment is still in place, after all.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                    Maybe the North should have just let them go then it would be obvious what value that heritage actually had, by now the South would have had time to de-evolved into a truly feudal system.
                    Obvious to whom? I would argue that slavery was going to be killed off by an increasingly capitalistic society.
                    Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

• AP EXPLAINS: Confederate battle flag, flown around US South

After the massacre of nine African-Americans at a historic black church in Charleston, the governor of South Carolina has called for removing the rebel Confederate battle flag outside the state capitol's Statehouse. Authorities describe the shootings as a hate crime and Dylann Storm Roof, the white suspect charged with murder, appears in widely-seen photos holding Confederate flags. Here's a brief explanation of the Confederate battle flag, a historic but deeply divisive symbol that remains ever-present in the American South.

THE CONFEDERATE BATTLE FLAG: A LONG, TANGLED HISTORY

During the American Civil War (1861-1865), the military of the secessionist, pro-slavery South flew several styles of Confederate battle flags what most Americans think of as the Confederate flag. Separately, the rebel government also flew several Confederate national flags. What became the lasting symbol of the rebel South and is now known as the "Confederate Flag" or "Rebel Flag" is the rectangular version of the Confederate Army battle flag a star-studded blue 'X' overlaying a field of red. This version was flown by various Confederate Army units, including the biggest: Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. The flag is used to honor Confederate war dead and is embraced by many white Southerners, who say it symbolizes pride in their region's heritage. Parts of its design were incorporated into the state flags of South Carolina, Mississippi and Georgia against the wishes of African-American civil rights groups who viewed it as a symbol of a brutally oppressive past. The flag has been flown over several Southern cities and has also been adopted by white supremacist groups like the Ku Klux Klan.
                      AP - Full Article

Comment

• Not everyone associated with the confederate flag are racist.

Comment

• Originally posted by guthrieba View Post
                          Obvious to whom? I would argue that slavery was going to be killed off by an increasingly capitalistic society.
                          That and technology...
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                            Not everyone associated with the confederate flag are racist.

Here's another one....

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

• And another...

Comment

• I'll match you with:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X