Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Confederate flag be removed from SC statehouse grounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charger View Post
    Yes. Through social and media pressure. How many times are you going to ignore what I'm saying?
    And how many times do I need to post that such pressure is a constitutionally protect action. Directly in the document. What is hard to understand about that and what is wrong with applying that pressure?
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

• Originally posted by walle View Post
      Exactly, nice to see someone recognize that. Hence the war of Northern Aggression.

Slavery is used as an excuse for why the Union waged war on the CSA. It was used back then, just as it is used today.
      Wrong. ..read some of Lincoln qutoes. His only aim was to preserve the Union, with or without slavery.
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
        And how many times do I need to post that such pressure is a constitutionally protect action. Directly in the document. What is hard to understand about that and what is wrong with applying that pressure?
        You are missing the point, for the 100th time. I have never said that social and media pressure cannot be legally applied. I have said, over and over, that people of you and your ilk are completely wrong and on an insane witch hunt to erase history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
          Quote the relevant part where it states that stats governments can revolt against their elected government and fire upon Federal forts?

I'm pretty sure the majority of rebellions get dealt with by reconquest.
          Do you even read what I post?

Originally posted by Charger View Post
          Secession is not illegal. Show me in the Constitution where it is prohibited.

Secession =/= rebellion.

And no, the end-result of an action does not determine its legality. It is either illegal under the laws of the US, or it isn't.

Now, you could argue that firing on Sumter was illegal. But secession itself was not.

Comment

Exactly, nice to see someone recognize that. Hence the war of Northern Aggression.

Slavery is used as an excuse for why the Union waged war on the CSA. It was used back then, just as it is used today.
            Except it was a war of southern aggression.

Comment

• Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              Wrong. ..read some of Lincoln qutoes. His only aim was to preserve the Union, with or without slavery.
              Thank you for agreeing that the war was not about slavery, but unification.

Comment

• To me this flag is a symbol of country western music. I don't associate it with what occurred when it was first raised.

Kayne West even used the flag on his Yeezus Tour apparel.

Comment

You are missing the point, for the 100th time. I have never said that social and media pressure cannot be legally applied. I have said, over and over, that people of you and your ilk are completely wrong and on an insane witch hunt to erase history.
                  I think you need to go have a nice chilled class, bottle, or can of your favorite beverage and just relax. Breath in deep and exhale... and again.... You're in a lather and need a break.
                  “To talk of many things:
                  Of cabbages—and kings—
                  ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

You say it passionately and repeatedly, but can't prove it.

It's almost like you're on a witch hunt to find people who want to erase history when nobody here is.

Ironic, that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                      Except it was a war of southern aggression.
                      No it wasn't, and having said that. The North waged a Total War in the South.

Raping and burning and pillaging the South. In fact, most of the women the Union soldiers raped were black.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                        You're not making a strong or compelling argument then, or perhaps you're actually wrong on that front.

Maybe you should explain exactly how slavery wasn't the cause in depth (so far it's just been touched upon in a number of posts), because from where I'm sitting, saying slavery wasn't the cause doesnt match up with the language used by the confederacy, the run up to the shooting, and the nature of the election right before the Civil War.

Slavery was the issue behind secession, without which there wouldn't have been a civil war.
                        I've already explained it. It is basic stuff. Half Pint John just posted:
                        Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        The war was driven by the US government's desire to reunite the country. That was the casus belli. That was the war goal. The war was over reunification. This is simple stuff.

Why was reunification an issue? The South seceded.
                        What did the South secede? In large part slavery, but also other issues.
                        Why did the South want slavery? Cheap labor
                        Why did the South oppose tariffs? Terrible for their economy
                        Why is cheap labor preferable? Allows you to sell for cheaper
                        Why sell cheaper? Defeat the competition
                        Why sell at all? People want cotton
                        Why do people want cotton? For clothes
                        Why do people want clothes? To not be naked

And there we have it, the cause of the war was people not wanting to be naked

Comment

Let's here from the man himself:

Apprehension seems to exist among the people of the Southern States that by the accession of a Republican Administration their property and their peace and personal security are to be endangered. There has never been any reasonable cause for such apprehension. Indeed, the most ample evidence to the contrary has all the while existed and been open to their inspection. It is found in nearly all the published speeches of him who now addresses you. I do but quote from one of those speeches when I declare that—

I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.
                          Those who nominated and elected me did so with full knowledge that I had made this and many similar declarations and had never recanted them; and more than this, they placed in the platform for my acceptance, and as a law to themselves and to me, the clear and emphatic resolution which I now read:

Resolved, That the maintenance inviolate of the rights of the States, and especially the right of each State to order and control its own domestic institutions according to its own judgment exclusively, is essential to that balance of power on which the perfection and endurance of our political fabric depend; and we denounce the lawless invasion by armed force of the soil of any State or Territory, no matter what pretext, as among the gravest of crimes.
                          I now reiterate these sentiments, and in doing so I only press upon the public attention the most conclusive evidence of which the case is susceptible that the property, peace, and security of no section are to be in any wise endangered by the now incoming Administration. I add, too, that all the protection which, consistently with the Constitution and the laws, can be given will be cheerfully given to all the States when lawfully demanded, for whatever cause—as cheerfully to one section as to another. . . . .

Abraham Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, courtesy Bartelby's Online Books, delivered 4 Mar 1861
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

So are we correct assuming you would have preferred that the South had won?
                            Of course.

Comment

Who fired the first shots?

Comment

Best kind of war to wage if you have the resource and it's needed. Whats wrong with that?
                                “To talk of many things:
                                Of cabbages—and kings—
                                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X