Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To what extent does the Charleston massacre make ‘Jeb’s campaign trickier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lodestar View Post

Love your avatar as well.
    I barely know who he is. I just like his hat.

Comment

Mackensen and the Texas flag

Originally posted by squidly View Post
      From the dreaded Wikipedia:

"Anton Ludwig August von Mackensen (6 December 1849 – 8 November 1945), born August Mackensen, was a German soldier and field marshal.

He commanded with success during the First World War and became one of the German Empire's most prominent military leaders. After the Armistice, Mackensen was interned for a year. He retired from the army in 1920 and was made a Prussian state councillor in 1933 by Hermann Göring.

During the Nazi era, Mackensen remained a committed monarchist and sometimes appeared at official functions in his First World War uniform. He was suspected of disloyalty to the Third Reich, although nothing was proved against him at this time.

Mackensen died on November 8, 1945 at the age of 95, his life having spanned the Kingdom of Prussia, the North German Confederation, the German Empire, the Weimar Republic, Nazi Germany, and the post-war Allied occupation of Germany."

A little known fact about him is that he wrote to the Texas state legislature in 1931 suggesting the state flag be changed - to an image of his Hussars bonnet!

Texas governor wrote back to him telling him to mind his own business. Further proof (if any were needed ) of the general super-sensitiveness and deep insecurities of these Texans

There are few certainties in life or in the world, but that lodestar will end up in an unmarked, shallow grave in a desolate, forsaken, wind-blown corner of a remote, barren and unknown land, is surely one of them

Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by squidly View Post
        Just like your knowledge of Texas. Fitting.
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

First of all, if you think Texans are insecure or unsure about their state you must know nothing about Texas or Texans. I don't think people of any other state are as overly vocal about how great their state is, and I have never gotten any impression that it was rooted in insecurity.
          Also, it's actually pretty insulting that anyone would think that something as dumb as some phantom link between the name 'Jeb' and the shootings in South Carolina would cause American voters to avoid voting for him. I can see the name 'Bush' causing some segments of the population to vote against him but the name Jeb has nothing to do with it. We have a president named Barrack Hussein for God's sake, and people could have made the link between Hussein and Saddam Hussein yet they didn't. Americans aren't nearly as stupid as you think we are. Not to say we don't have more than our share of stupid people but come on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
            Just like your knowledge of Texas. Fitting.
            Pretty much sums him up.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              Pretty much sums him up.
              Jeb Bush: Unwed Mothers Should Be Publicly Shamed

Jeb's already dead.
              #occupyarmchairgeneral.
              Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
              Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
                Yeah, but that's not what the thread's about. It's about whether voters would link the name Jeb with the shootings in S. Carolina because, I guess, it sounds southern. The thread's about the voters.

Comment

The name 'Jeb' a liability?

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
                  Yeah, but that's not what the thread's about. It's about whether voters would link the name Jeb with the shootings in S. Carolina because, I guess, it sounds southern. The thread's about the voters.
                  I'm not suggesting it sounds 'Southern' as such but more specifically 'Confederate'.
                  Also, I'm not saying voters would necessarily link the name with the shooting directly.

Like I said before I'm sure he's not remotely racist or his nickname is a deliberate nod to something unsavoury. It's just that after Charleston, I suspect that anything with obvious Rebel connotations is going to be at the least something of a liability for a potential presidential candidate.

Regards lodestar

Comment

Jeb Bush says he is unsure the shooting was racially motivated.

That will lose the moron more votes than his name.

Almost as many as his purging of African American voters from Florida elections.
                    #occupyarmchairgeneral.
                    Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes.
                    Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. Laurence J. Peter

Comment

First of all, if you think Texans are insecure or unsure about their state you must know nothing about Texas or Texans. I don't think people of any other state are as overly vocal about how great their state is, and I have never gotten any impression that it was rooted in insecurity.
                      Absolutely correct!
                      During my two tours in country I observed more Texas Flags than those of any other State by far and I was from (godforsaken) New Jersey at that time of my life!
                      I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!

Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
                        Jeb Bush says he is unsure the shooting was racially motivated.

That will lose the moron more votes than his name.

Almost as many as his purging of African American voters from Florida elections.
                        I'm not defending Jeb Bush or advocating him at all, I'm really just saying that I think the majority of voters are not going to assume that just because his nickname is Jeb he's somehow aligned with the confederacy or he's connected to the shootings in SC. I think that was the point of the OP. I understand the idea I just don't think it'll be any factor one way or another. I think if Jeb fails in his presidential bid it'll be for reasons other than how confederate-sounding his name is.

Comment

No more than Bristol Palin's pregnancy will effect Carly Fiorina ...

Comment

Jeb's dilemma

I'm not defending Jeb Bush or advocating him at all, I'm really just saying that ...........I think if Jeb fails in his presidential bid it'll be for reasons other than how confederate-sounding his name is.
                            Agreed.
                            I'm not saying it's going to be the reason his Presidential bid will fail, just that anything with a strong (even if it is purely coincidental) "Confederate" nuance ..."is going to be at the least something of a liability for a potential presidential candidate."

No doubt the Rebel 'Hardcore' element in the South will just love his name ...however how much of a problem are they going to have with him having a Latino wife?

Hahhhh...... dilemmas for voters....God I love it when the great unwashed masses squirm and struggle and have to think for themselves!

Regards lodestar

Regards lodestar

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X