Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To what extent does the Charleston massacre make ‘Jeb’s campaign trickier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To what extent does the Charleston massacre make ‘Jeb’s campaign trickier?

Yep know it’s a shortened version of a biblical name (probably meaning ‘beloved one’ or some such nonsense) and yep the closely related ‘Jed’ was the (tongue in cheek) nickname of the liberal fictional Prez in the West Wing!
    And yep, it was the name of the M3 (dare I say it) Stuart light tank commander in the ‘Haunted Tank’ DC comic series from several decades ago

However as I’m sure most posters are aware, it’s about as Confederate/Dixie and ‘eeehaw’ a first name as you can get this side of Harpers Ferry or Chickasaw Bayou.

Given what’s happened in the last few days, including the images of Roof burning and standing on old glory, sporting Rhodesian and pre – ‘Rainbow Nation’ South African flags and holding the flag of the session in one hand with a gun in the other and the recent announcement that the Confederate flag is no longer to fly outside the South Carolina legislature - ‘Confederate’ is most definitely NOT chic at this time.

I am not suggesting for a moment that Jeb Bush is remotely racist or has some kind of (even subconscious) wish to appeal to a lingering Confederate subtext as such.
    But does the prospect of running under just his first name and possibly having to saturate the media with it over the next few months leading up to and thought the primaries, Presidential election etc pose a potential problem for his run?

Regards lodestar

Somewhere close to zero. It poses little or no problem in the primaries when he's dealing with Republican voters and by the time of the general election will have been forgotten. Since it isn't something he can be held personally for it won't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by lodestar View Post
      Yep know it’s a shortened version of a biblical name (probably meaning ‘beloved one’ or some such nonsense) and yep the closely related ‘Jed’ was the (tongue in cheek) nickname of the liberal fictional Prez in the West Wing!
      And yep, it was the name of the M3 (dare I say it) Stuart light tank commander in the ‘Haunted Tank’ DC comic series from several decades ago

However as I’m sure most posters are aware, it’s about as Confederate/Dixie and ‘eeehaw’ a first name as you can get this side of Harpers Ferry or Chickasaw Bayou.

Given what’s happened in the last few days, including the images of Roof burning and standing on old glory, sporting Rhodesian and pre – ‘Rainbow Nation’ South African flags and holding the flag of the session in one hand with a gun in the other and the recent announcement that the Confederate flag is no longer to fly outside the South Carolina legislature - ‘Confederate’ is most definitely NOT chic at this time.

I am not suggesting for a moment that Jeb Bush is remotely racist or has some kind of (even subconscious) wish to appeal to a lingering Confederate subtext as such.
      But does the prospect of running under just his first name and possibly having to saturate the media with it over the next few months leading up to and thought the primaries, Presidential election etc pose a potential problem for his run?

Regards lodestar
      I doubt it very much. The average American voter doesn't have that kind of memory and doesn't make that kind of associations. They will be influenced by the message of the moment,what his campaign alleges to be selling to the every gullible American public.

His message could easily just be "I'm not Obama".
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

It means "beloved of Yahweh".

Comment

If you guys hadnted wanted cheap labour 200 years ago you probably wouldnt be having this problem.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post
            If you guys hadnted wanted cheap labour 200 years ago you probably wouldnt be having this problem.......
            And if the Europeans hadn't been selling cheap labor because they themselves used it everywhere, we wouldn't be having this problem.

And your nation is composed of two of those seller nations.

History is a , isn't it?

Comment

This is as much a non-issue as a report (now front page of course) that some Republicans received money from a "racist group" call Council of Conservative Citizens" headed by some guy named Early Holt. That's according to that paragon of neutrality The Southern Poverty Law Center

Politicians receive donations from a wide variety of groups. I'd bet Obama gets money from far Left groups the same way. Does the press put that on the front page? Of course not. Another non-issue.

Comment

Maybe because his name isn't "Jeb"? That's a nickname derived from his initials. His real name is John Ellis Bush. I'm surprised that none of you conservatives knew that.

Comment

Ye 'ole Confederate icons

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                  Maybe because his name isn't "Jeb"? That's a nickname derived from his initials. His real name is John Ellis Bush. I'm surprised that none of you conservatives knew that.
                  That may indeed be the case (I have my suspicions.....did you actually sight the man's birth certificate? ..we must be careful in these matters).

What I'm saying is that it is an iconic 'Confederate' reference (you know....like Jazz, Rap Music and Fred Shuttlesworth) and that the stigma rapidly developing (don't ya just love it when the bandwagon effect kicks in?) around the Confederate flag could easily spread to other Reb/Jeb/ Billy Ray/ Jubal/Nathan etc references.

Might not happen of course, but once some politicians and public figures smell blood.....?

Regards lodestar

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                    Whooo-Weee!!! You just jumped from Jeb's intitial's to calling everyone a conservative! I guess that makes you one the Demtard Libbies that are the natural enemies of America!

Comment

That may indeed be the case (I have my suspicions.....did you actually sight the man's birth certificate? ..we must be careful in these matters).

What I'm saying is that it is an iconic 'Confederate' reference (you know....like Jazz, Rap Music and Fred Shuttlesworth) and that the stigma rapidly developing (don't ya just love it when the bandwagon effect kicks in?) around the Confederate flag could easily spread to other Reb/Jeb/ Billy Ray/ Jubal/Nathan etc references.

Might not happen of course, but once some politicians and public figures smell blood.....?

Regards lodestar
                      Yep..."Jeb" is from Texas, and we all know how Texans feel about minorities, the Rebel Flag and social issues. And we know that all of the cheap labor to operate the Bush spread and the Bush oil wells wasn't highly paid white folks! Better scrap the Texas flag, too, while we're at it.

Comment

When Jeb was governor of Florida he took down the Confederate battle flag from the state capitol, so he has full coverage on this issue.

Don't start thinking that I'm taking up for Jeb though.

Comment

lodestar on the Texian entity

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Yep..."Jeb" is from Texas, and we all know how Texans feel about minorities, the Rebel Flag and social issues. And we know that all of the cheap labor to operate the Bush spread and the Bush oil wells wasn't highly paid white folks! Better scrap the Texas flag, too, while we're at it.
                          Good idea!

Texas, the inhabitants will tell ya is more ‘a state of mind than a state'. Err well yeehaw on that one buddy!

However it’s always reminded me of the Balkan states or a central European kingdom.
                          I mean can Texas please make up its mind exactly what it wants to be?

Seems to have tried everything over the years:
                          State of the Union?, independent country?, part of the confederacy?, North Mexican province (its last legitimate manifestation I suppose)?, Caddo homeland?Sheesh talk about confusion!

I suggest its true state of mind would best be described as simply ‘insecure and uncertain’.

All that stereotypical Texan macho bravado, posturing and boasting is obviously an attempt to mask or compensate for this fundamental self-doubt.
                          Like I said very much like some European and other national/political entities suffering inferiority complexes: Poland, Serbia, Post-Risorgimento Italy, Prussia or Iraq under Saddam for example.

You don’t see any of the ‘United States of America proper’ states from the North East suffering the same identity crisis do you:
                          New York, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire etc?
                          No of course not. They know and have always known exactly what they are.

If any state needs mature and wise direction and more control (‘interference’ I suppose they would call it) from the Federal government it’s Texas!
                          I don’t’ think it should not have a state flag but at the very least it and Mississippi could change their flags to more subtle and tasteful banners without the obvious nod to their confederate pasts both flags have.
                          Sound like a plan?

I haven’t been posting so much lately and many posters have sent me personal messages asking why.

Well in I have been in my annual 'Cosmic Hibernation'.
                          Pondering the immensity of my significance, considering new options for narcissistic self-absorption and composing fresh, endless monologues to my own glory.

As a result I conclude we are entering a new and magnificent age:
                          THE EON OF LODESTAR

Regards lodestar

Comment

Texas produces large numbers of extremely fine looking women.

Otherwise, it's kind of like Saudi Arabia, in that it would be pretty much useless if oil hadn't been discovered there. Rarely have so many been so proud of so little. This is especially true when it comes to college football, in which the University of Texas is commonly referred to as some kind of football power, while the reality on the field has done little to nothing support that assertion.

Comment

Down with Texas!

Originally posted by squidly View Post
                              Texas produces large numbers of extremely fine looking women.

Otherwise, it's kind of like Saudi Arabia, in that it would be pretty much useless if oil hadn't been discovered there. Rarely have so many been so proud of so little. This is especially true when it comes to college football, in which the University of Texas is commonly referred to as some kind of football power, while the reality on the field has done little to nothing support that assertion.
                              So young and so wise!

Love your avatar as well.
                              Quite a life, quite a character.

One must cross the threshold of greatness.
                              Then and only then can one comprehend the true nature of the one called lodestar - for many the quest to cross that threshold becomes their life’s work.

Regards lodestar

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X