Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women on American money - why not these 2 women?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women on American money - why not these 2 women?

So, according to this article, the $10 USD is up for a reface, and it looks like most people want...Harriet Tubman...?

Well, it might not be that shocking. Besides having a woman, people would also want to see an African American on money. So who do they think of? Harriet Tubman. Everyone's heard of her right?

Well here's my counterproposal, I raise one to having both Annie Malone and Madam C.J. Walker either together on some bill, or sharing space with Hamilton.

Grant it, I don't know tons about either one, didn't really even know about them until rather recently. Which is sad, never heard about them in school for instance. And believe me I wasn't sleeping in US History class! From what I understand, they were 2 of the first female millionaires--and they were African American.

I could see them on a bill together, or alongside Hamilton. I just think that Hamilton should always be present given his financial role, not to mention his involvement with the Constitution and I believe aiding Washington.

Good idea?
    "A foolish man thinks he knows everything if placed in unexpected difficulty; but he knows not what to answer, if to the test he is put."

--Hávamál

I think race is irrelevant here. I would prefer to see someone who really made major contributions to America like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

Highly decorated (for a woman of the time)
    Well educated
    Advanced American technology significantly
    First female Admiral in the Navy

Here's someone who wasn't some sort of "community organizer" to use the current term, like most of the other suggestions have been.

Comment

Hey, as long as it's not Jackson, you're already making an improvement.

Comment

oh no you di'n't...

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
        Hey, as long as it's not Jackson, you're already making an improvement.
        Are you speaking of Michael or Janet?
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Super Six 4 View Post
          So, according to this article, the $10 USD is up for a reface, and it looks like most people want...Harriet Tubman...?

Well, it might not be that shocking. Besides having a woman, people would also want to see an African American on money. So who do they think of? Harriet Tubman. Everyone's heard of her right?

Well here's my counterproposal, I raise one to having both Annie Malone and Madam C.J. Walker either together on some bill, or sharing space with Hamilton.

Grant it, I don't know tons about either one, didn't really even know about them until rather recently. Which is sad, never heard about them in school for instance. And believe me I wasn't sleeping in US History class! From what I understand, they were 2 of the first female millionaires--and they were African American.

I could see them on a bill together, or alongside Hamilton. I just think that Hamilton should always be present given his financial role, not to mention his involvement with the Constitution and I believe aiding Washington.

Good idea?
          ^Thats interesting.

Some women have been on past US currency such as some coins and paper money. I do believe that Hamilton should stay on the 10 $ bill, and that the faces on the current bills such as the 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 should stay the same. If someone wants to maybe introduce a 4 $ bill and put up a new face I'd be ok with this.

Comment

Harriet Tubman is a joke of a choice, to much myth surrounding her.

I say leave them as they are, no need for more "change."
            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              I think race is irrelevant here. I would prefer to see someone who really made major contributions to America like:

Well educated

Here's someone who wasn't some sort of "community organizer" to use the current term, like most of the other suggestions have been.
              I'm surprised you didn't point out that Tubman was a criminal. After all, she did remove property from her master (herself) and assist in the theft of other property.

Clearly campaigning to end slavery doesn't qualify as a 'major contribution'. Just the sort of thing a progressive 'community organizer' would do.

The leakage of Obama hatred into disdain for anyone who actually tried to improve America really has reached the level of serious mental illness.
              Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Well educated

I agree. How about Betsy Ross as a candidate? Better yet...Eleanor Roosevelt.

Personally, however, I'm not in favor of PC'ing our money. Got any of those female Susan B. Anthony gold dollars still in circulation? Those failed miserably.

Maybe we can hire the Franklin Mint to handle this - they've turned out millions of dollars of non-legal tender and they're still at it....and it's "growing in value"!
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                  Are you speaking of Michael or Janet?
                  I think we should limit ourselves to human beings on our money.

Comment

I think we should limit ourselves to human beings on our money.
                    He shoots...he scores!

Comment

I would think ...

... that Betsy Ross would be a conservative choice, perhaps "strong woman" Dolly Madison would be conservative feminist, and Cait Jenner for the more adventurous liberal!
                      "I am Groot"
                      - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                        ... that Betsy Ross would be a conservative choice, perhaps "strong woman" Dolly Madison would be conservative feminist, and Cait Jenner for the more adventurous liberal!
                        The problem is that Betsy Ross is even more a product of myth than Tubman could ever be.

I'm glad Tubman beat out Rosa Parks in that poll - mostly because, while Rosa Parks is a very interesting person, I think she's too recent a case and not as influential or as big as part of the national consciousness.

So I would support Tubman, but I would also be happy to see Sacagawea make the transition to paper money as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                          Bite your tongue! It could happen...

Of course, it would only be a ten dollar bill on one side...

Comment

The problem is that Betsy Ross is even more a product of myth than Tubman could ever be.

I'm glad Tubman beat out Rosa Parks in that poll - mostly because, while Rosa Parks is a very interesting person, I think she's too recent a case and not as influential or as big as part of the national consciousness.

So I would support Tubman, but I would also be happy to see Sacagawea make the transition to paper money as well.
                            She would be my choice, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                              I'm surprised you didn't point out that Tubman was a criminal. After all, she did remove property from her master (herself) and assist in the theft of other property.
                              Why should I? Most community organizers are little more than con men (women?) and often criminals.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X