Man Faced 20 Years in Prison For Clearing Web Browser History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Faced 20 Years in Prison For Clearing Web Browser History

Boston, MA — Khairullozhon Matanov, a former taxi driver, is scheduled to appear in US Federal Court next week to face sentencing on charges of obstruction of justice related to the 2013 Boston Marathon Bombing.

Matanov did not participate in or have any prior knowledge of the bombings, according to U.S. authorities. However, those facts are irrelevant.

Matanov could be locked in a cage for 20 years because he cleared his browser history in the days following the attacks.
    http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-pol...rowser-history

There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Why? All they have to do is obtain those records from his Internet provider. If not, the NSA certainly has them. This is nothing more then harassment to force a confession for his alleged involvement in the Boston Marathon bombing.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

If the NSA records proved that he was part of the plot, they can legally arrest him for "obstruction of justice" for destroyig evidence that they know he had.

I'm waiting for more information before making any judgement.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

As I mentioned in another thread, due to cyper crime, government monitoring, government sponsored hacking and expansive investigative powers, the wild west days of the web are almost gone.

Comment

Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
          As I mentioned in another thread, due to cyper crime, government monitoring, government sponsored hacking and expansive investigative powers, the wild west days of the web are almost gone.
          Don't tell the Chinese...or the hackers who accessed the records of 14 million Americans recently.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

He should have fought it out. I don't see a jury convicting on a bull charge like that. Either the jury would toss it or an appellate court would.
            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Let's be clear about Matanov's involvement with the two marathon bombers - I for one do not think he is being harassed - if he did not commit crimes, he would not be facing time - that was HIS CHOICE

Skip the revisionism

from CNN 5/30/2014

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/justic...bings-charges/

excerpt

A Massachusetts man was arrested Friday on suspicion of obstructing the investigation of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings, authorities said.
              Khairullozhon Matanov, 23, of Quincy is charged with "one count of destroying, altering, and falsifying records, documents, and tangible objects in a federal investigation, specifically information on his computer, and three counts of making materially false, fictitious, and fraudulent statements in a federal terrorism investigation," the U.S. attorney's office for Massachusetts said Friday.

--------------------------------

excerpt
              Prosecutors said that Manatov did not know about the bombings beforehand, but about 40 minutes after the blasts, invited and bought dinner for the brothers, according to the indictment.
              According to the indictment, once photos of the suspects were released, Matanov viewed them several times on CNN and on the FBI's website before trying to reach Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
              In the hours and days following the bombings, Matanov contacted and attempted to contact the suspects by phone and saw Tamerlan Tsarnaev at least twice, according to the indictment.
              Matanov allegedly tried to give away his cell phone to friends and deleted hundreds of videos and documents from his computer and misled police about the extent of to which he knew the brothers.
              He also hid that he shared the "philosophical justification for violence" that the Tsarnaev brothers held, the U.S. attorney's office said.
              "In addition to deleting information from his computer, Matanov made a number of false statements to federal investigators," the office's statement said.
              If convicted, Matanov faces up to 20 years in prison for the destruction of evidence charge, and eight years for each of the false statement counts.

Comment

Matanov has already pled guilty. I assume he was guilty and not tortured, etc. I suspect though that some here will feel otherwise.

http://www.whdh.com/story/28608735/m...ion-of-justice

Matanov pleads guilty to obstruction of justice

Posted: Mar 25, 2015 6:18 AM Updated: May 06, 2015 6:18 AM

BOSTON (WHDH) - A friend of the Tsarnaev brothers, Khairullozhon Matanov, pleaded guilty to lying to investigators and destroying evidence.

Matanov pleaded guilty in Federal Court on Tuesday.

According to police, Matanov lied about the extent of his relationship with Tamerlan Tsarnaev and also about deleting files on his computer.

If the judge accepts the plea deal, Matanov could receive 30 months in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
                  Let's be clear about Matanov's involvement with the two marathon bombers - I for one do not think he is being harassed - if he did not commit crimes, he would not be facing time - that was HIS CHOICE

Skip the revisionism

from CNN 5/30/2014

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/justic...bings-charges/

excerpt

A Massachusetts man was arrested Friday on suspicion of obstructing the investigation of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings, authorities said.
                  Khairullozhon Matanov, 23, of Quincy is charged with "one count of destroying, altering, and falsifying records, documents, and tangible objects in a federal investigation, specifically information on his computer, and three counts of making materially false, fictitious, and fraudulent statements in a federal terrorism investigation," the U.S. attorney's office for Massachusetts said Friday.

--------------------------------

excerpt
                  Prosecutors said that Manatov did not know about the bombings beforehand, but about 40 minutes after the blasts, invited and bought dinner for the brothers, according to the indictment.
                  According to the indictment, once photos of the suspects were released, Matanov viewed them several times on CNN and on the FBI's website before trying to reach Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
                  In the hours and days following the bombings, Matanov contacted and attempted to contact the suspects by phone and saw Tamerlan Tsarnaev at least twice, according to the indictment.
                  Matanov allegedly tried to give away his cell phone to friends and deleted hundreds of videos and documents from his computer and misled police about the extent of to which he knew the brothers.
                  He also hid that he shared the "philosophical justification for violence" that the Tsarnaev brothers held, the U.S. attorney's office said.
                  "In addition to deleting information from his computer, Matanov made a number of false statements to federal investigators," the office's statement said.
                  If convicted, Matanov faces up to 20 years in prison for the destruction of evidence charge, and eight years for each of the false statement counts.
                  Wow. I retract my previous statement.
                  A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

this story seems farce
                    they could get to the very little of the things he has searched even if he cleared his browser search history a thousand times, i believe this is to ruse the people into thinking the government is limiited in access into their internet habits, and that they can conceal themselves with a simple "clear search history" . so i see it.
                    i am lazy in replies
                    and my private message inbox is neglected
                    send private messages only of importance
                    and be patient for your reply ~sultan alghamdi

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan View Post
                      this story seems farce
                      they could get to the very little of the things he has searched even if he cleared his browser search history a thousand times, i believe this is to ruse the people into thinking the government is limiited in access into their internet habits, and that they can conceal themselves with a simple "clear search history" . so i see it.
                      So, has justice been served in your view?

Comment

Do you feel justice is served with a 30 month sentence? I feel if anything he is getting off easy.

Matanov not a US citizen.

Since you care so much about US laws, what are your views on US Immigration Laws?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...LEK/story.html

excerpt

McElroy, who assisted in the arrest of Matanov last week, revealed the surveillance at a hearing Wednesday to determine whether Matanov should be held pending a trial on the charges.
                        In asking that he be held, prosecutors called Matanov a flight risk, saying he is not a US citizen, has no community support or assets, and he has extensive family and resources abroad.
                        Matanov shook his head in apparent disagreement.
                        Dressed in orange prison garb, Matanov, a native of Kyrgyzstan, loudly pleaded not guilty in a thick accent. Prosecutors said a trial could last two to three weeks, with 20 to 30 witnesses. He faces up to 20 years in prison.
                        Matanov’s lawyer, Edward Hayden, said after the 90-
                        minute hearing in US District Court in Boston that he could not credibly contest the request to keep Matanov detained, acknowledging his client would have no job and no place to stay, and had little money to post bail. Matanov was ordered held.

Comment

Federal Prosecutors do this all the time. They threaten you with a bazillion years of time and will run you out of money to force you into a plea deal for far less time.
                          This guy took the deal as he was likely to get found guilty in any case.
                          The federal court system isn't about justice, it's about conviction rate...

Comment

Matanov was here on a student visa from 2010. He was not attending college. He then applied for political asylum.

So he was breaking the law long before his much more serious crimes.

Tell me, where did we as Americans and me from Massachusetts wrong this person?

http://www.masslive.com/news/boston/...riend_o_1.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X