Dems Block Obama's Bid To "Fast Track" Trade Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dems Block Obama's Bid To "Fast Track" Trade Deal

It's rough when the honeymoon is finally over.

In a dramatic defeat for the White House, President Obama's trade agenda ran aground in the House on Friday as Democrats banded together in opposition despite a personal plea from the president. In a 302-126 vote, the House killed a worker aid bill that was tied to the president's main agenda item -- legislation that would give Obama "fast-track" authority to negotiate trade deals. Without it, the trade push withers for now. The vote marked a stunning blow for the president at the hands of his own party, with Nancy Pelosi and labor unions helping drive the stake into the legislation in the end.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...critical-vote/
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Whatever their motivation, for once I agree with them. I'm happy they voted it down. I do not want to give the President such sweeping powers to make treaties outside of his already given Constitutional powers. A treaty can be used to force law on the US against the sovereignty of the US. No one man needs this sort of power to write treaties and shove them down the throat of the Senate........with the Senate having no recourse except to reject the treaty whole cloth....or just accept whatever the President tells them the treaty will be.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Obama is in search of a positive and significant legacy as President. The Democrats in Congress are in search of being re-elected. In the case of this treaty those two positions are diametrically opposed.

Obama is nothing but the most incompetent amateur, even now, at negotiating and compromise. The man literally doesn't get it. I suspect it is in good part due to him believing his own hype that he's the smartest guy in the room. He isn't but you'll never convince him of that.

Surrounded by sycophants and Yes men, he's like some A list Hollywood star. He really believes the hype and hasn't figured out everyone is laughing at him, not with him.

Comment

That's pretty much the way of it, and his fellow Democrats are starting to realize that their survival depends on distancing themselves from his lunatic policies.

I expect to see more of this as his disastrous career comes to to an end, with the entire House and Senate aware that they will be expected to untangle the mess he has created after he is gone.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X