Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm cheering for the firemen in this one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm cheering for the firemen in this one!

A New York man is suing his local fire department after they used a firehouse to knock down his drone !
    Personally, I'm cheering the fire department on.
    Here is the story with the video taken from the nitwits drone,

http://www.scrippsmedia.com/kivitv/n...306656331.html
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Looks to me like he couldn't resist getting some close ups and his toy got douched by the firemen. Too bad for him.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      Looks to me like he couldn't resist getting some close ups and his toy got douched by the firemen. Too bad for him.
      I had one following me while I walked my dog on a public trail two weeks ago, pretty obnoxious, people were trying to relax and enjoy a hike along the river and some POS has to harass them with a drone!
      Next time, I'm calling the fire department!
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

I would suggest a very powerful but easily portable strobe light might be of use...

Comment

Karma's only a b*tch if you are.

What do you call someone who smashes down the front door, finds two kids cowering under a bed, and forces them out of an upstairs window ?

A firefighter.
          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

How serious would it be to get hit by one of these things in say the face? Do you need a licence to operate drones?
            We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              A New York man is suing his local fire department after they used a firehouse to knock down his drone !
              Personally, I'm cheering the fire department on.
              Here is the story with the video taken from the nitwits drone,

http://www.scrippsmedia.com/kivitv/n...306656331.html
              Just some points of interest:

1. The firefighters took a big chance - the drone could have belonged to a local news agency gathering video coverage. Likewise, the drone operator could have been gathering video for sale to the local news outlet. It appears to be pretty good coverage.

2. Is it illegal to surveil a fire with a drone? If not, the firefighters are in trouble.

3. The drone owner got one warning, and should have pulled back.

4. If it were me, I would invest in a good telephoto lens.

5. While I understand the feelings of the firemen, they are plain flat wrong. People standing much closer were undoubtedly videoing them on cellphones. Are they going to knock them down, too?
              Can they legally turn their hoses on anyone who annoys them? I doubt it very much.

Two sides to this one, but the firefighters were wrong.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Just some points of interest:

1. The firefighters took a big chance - the drone could have belonged to a local news agency gathering video coverage. Likewise, the drone operator could have been gathering video for sale to the local news outlet. It appears to be pretty good coverage.

2. Is it illegal to surveil a fire with a drone? If not, the firefighters are in trouble.

3. The drone owner got one warning, and should have pulled back.

4. If it were me, I would invest in a good telephoto lens.

5. While I understand the feelings of the firemen, they are plain flat wrong. People standing much closer were undoubtedly videoing them on cellphones. Are they going to knock them down, too?
                Can they legally turn their hoses on anyone who annoys them? I doubt it very much.

Two sides to this one, but the firefighters were wrong.
                Did the operator have permission to fly over the property?
                I look at it this way, if women are guaranteed the right to an abortion based on a right to privacy, does that not mean we all have a right to privacy?
                Drones invade my privacy, based on Roe vs Wade it violates my rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                  Did the operator have permission to fly over the property?
                  I look at it this way, if women are guaranteed the right to an abortion based on a right to privacy, does that not mean we all have a right to privacy?
                  Drones invade my privacy, based on Roe vs Wade it violates my rights.
                  doubt that the owner or any owner has a right to control the air over their property. Looks like some Vol FD having some fun that really wasn't wise on their part. I'll still my them a beer.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

If he wins in court the taxpayer flips the bill for his stupidity.
                    My worst jump story:
                    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                    No lie.

~
                    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

As a volunteer firefighter having something like that buzzing over my head at a call would make me really uncomfortable. Not in the least because I don't know how good the operator is and if that thing is about to crash. As long as he kept his distance a bit he was OK, but in the end he got way to close.
                      "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                        doubt that the owner or any owner has a right to control the air over their property. Looks like some Vol FD having some fun that really wasn't wise on their part. I'll still my them a beer.
                        While I would agree that a typical private property owner does not have a right to control the airspace over their property, I would add the caveat that that is 'control it against incursion by local/state/federally authorized persons. IE a pilot can fly his aircraft over your property, and be in the clear.

I would say that a low altitude incursion by an aircraft designed or modified for the exclusive use as a surveillance aircraft would be something that would require either exigent circumstances that would reasonably allow surveillance, or a search warrant. Considering that the surveillance drone was privately owned, it would rate neither.

The owner of the drone should learn to stop harassing people with his crap, or his toys get taken away.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

As someone who spent over 30 years in the fire service, I can see a couple of issues. First, what if said drone films a casualty of the fire? Even news services give those injured or deceased dignity by not filming them. Second, I do not want anything flying overhead of my men. Period! Like they need one more thing to worry about - ie. some idiot who is new to operated it. Thirdly, the scene of the fire could be a crime scene. There may be reasons why the investigators do not want details released.
                          As a battalion chief, I would have told my guys to knock it down. Then again, I can be an ******* about such things. I hate people whipping out their cellphones while paramedics do cpr on someone's dad or any such event as that. Its not for entertainment for christ's sake!
                          "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                          - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                            While I would agree that a typical private property owner does not have a right to control the airspace over their property, I would add the caveat that that is 'control it against incursion by local/state/federally authorized persons. IE a pilot can fly his aircraft over your property, and be in the clear.

I would say that a low altitude incursion by an aircraft designed or modified for the exclusive use as a surveillance aircraft would be something that would require either exigent circumstances that would reasonably allow surveillance, or a search warrant. Considering that the surveillance drone was privately owned, it would rate neither.

The owner of the drone should learn to stop harassing people with his crap, or his toys get taken away.
                            I'll sell the license for a 12 gauge emp round to the highest bidder...

I'm sorry, I've got this greed problem. I invent things and want to sell them...
                            Last edited by Bwaha; 10 Jun 15, 18:49.
                            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Well, you can make one of these and add a long rod and give the drone a "selfie..."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X