Many Hospitals Mark Up Costs 1,000%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Hospitals Mark Up Costs 1,000%

Even the astronomical price markups that consumers regularly pay for, say, wine in restaurants pale beside those in some U.S. hospitals: The price for procedures is often 10 times the cost, according to a study published on Monday in the journal Health Affairs.
    Of the 50 hospitals with the highest markups, 49 are for-profit, including 25 owned by Community Health Systems.
    Community Health and other for-profits did not respond to requests for explain their markups, but in the past hospitals have said list prices, shown on a "chargemaster," are irrelevant because "no one" pays those.
    In fact, out-of-network patients and the uninsured are often charged list prices, said Dr. Renee Hsia of the University of California, San Francisco, who has studied hospital charges but was not involved in this research. "People do get bills based on the chargemaster, and for out-of-network care insured patients pay a percentage" of chargemaster prices, she said.
    Auto insurers, covering care after accidents, and workers' compensation also pay full freight. "That results in higher premiums for auto insurance and for employers who pay into workers' comp," said study co-author Ge Bai of Washington & Lee University. "That means we are all victims of these markups."
    She and Gerard Anderson of Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health blamed lack of regulation and transparency for 1,000 percent markups. Non-transparency means patients cannot learn what a procedure will cost before they get a bill, preventing comparison shopping.
    Those bills can be eye-opening. Hsia, for instance, found that charges for a lipid panel blood test varied from $10 in one California hospital to $10,169 in another; opening blocked arteries cost $22,047 in one, $165,386 in another.
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/0...tcmp=obnetwork
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Not news to me, the $3 Aspirin Tablet has been around for over 40 years now!
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

With hospital emergency rooms forced by Federal Law to treat all emergency patients, that includes those that have no insurance or means of payment such as illegals, shooting and knifing victims, drug overdoses, and those on the dole that can't afford to see a doctor for routine problems, it is either overcharge those that have insurance, or go out of business.
      http://americaswire.org/drupal7/?q=c...an-communities

Cuts in Medicare, Medicaid, and Obamacare are shutting down urban and rural hospitals as well. http://blog.ruralhealthweb.org/2014/...alarming-rate/
      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
        With hospital emergency rooms forced by Federal Law to treat all emergency patients, that includes those that have no insurance or means of payment such as illegals, shooting and knifing victims, drug overdoses, and those on the dole that can't afford to see a doctor for routine problems, it is either overcharge those that have insurance, or go out of business.
        You are probably right Ron!
        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

They are thieves!
          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
            They are thieves!
            The patients who don't pay or the hospitals?
            "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
              Not news to me, the $3 Aspirin Tablet has been around for over 40 years now!
              Obviously, it's been a long, long time since you were around a hospital! Those aspirin tablets are $10 - $15 dollars or more these days....each.

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
                The patients who don't pay or the hospitals?
                In general Americans pay more for prescription drugs than any other nation, even for the same drug.
                The pharmaceutical companies explain that in order to provide drugs to nations that can't afford to pay what it cost to bring a drug to market, they have to over charge the U.S. To subsidize the cost to other nations,
                Canada is not a poor country, I can buy the same Rx drugs there for 1/3 what I pay here for them.
                Hospitals can charge what ever they want, a recent study here in Boise Idaho found the cost varied 1,000% from one hospital to another, and no hospital spokesmen would explain why.
                Sure some uninsured people get services for free or next to nothing, but don't believe for one second that the hospitals are victims, they encourage it. They can triple bill the state for those services.
                Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Personally, I oppose any policy that has me pay high prices in order to support the medical needs of other nations. That, to me, is a form of "taxation without representation", and the drug companies do very nicely off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Personally, I oppose any policy that has me pay high prices in order to support the medical needs of other nations. That, to me, is a form of "taxation without representation", and the drug companies do very nicely off of it.
                    I'm with you MM, this is the result of our government being run by corporations. Hell, they are considered human beings with constitutional rights.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X