Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army Pulls Hnor Guard From Historic Church Ceremony

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    Piffle. First food ate on the moon was holy communion.


    http://www.snopes.com/glurge/communion.asp
    Proving...ZERO.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

    Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

    youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I think you're a little over the top on this one, Bwaha. Atheists are not sociopaths by definition, and you cannot reasonably equate an absence of belief in a belief itself. Next thing you're going to tell me I'm a pervert because I'm agnostic....,oh, wait...um...er....I'll get back to you on this!

      Religion carries the burden of proof, not the non-believers. It's like the Emperor's new clothes. Absence of belief is not a "belief", any more than having such a belief could be considered a delusion by non-believers. It's exactly like liking or disliking something - either you do or you don't, but that's it.

      Stalin, Hitler and Pot were sociopaths, period, but some of Hitler's highest ranking deputies and many of the death camp commandants regularly went to church, as did a lot of the Death Head SS personnel manning those camps, and the Catholic Church aided and abetted their escape from Germany after the war by providing safe houses and Vatican diplomatic passports to the mass murderers of Jews and others. Religion has a lot to answer for in history, and the sociopaths are not always easy to identify.


      Now, back to the actual thread - I never like seeing long-standing ceremonies discontinued, for in the end, civilizations and societies are all about their traditions and ceremonies. Should we cancel all national holidays and just go back to work? Should we cancel all wedding ceremonies and unnecessarily expensive and just replace them with a quick, five minute civil ceremony? Shall we stop awarding medals to courageous heroes in public ceremonies and just send them in the mail? Should we tear down all statues and monuments and never erect another one?

      Of course not, and that is the heart of this matter. It's not about religion - it's about tradition.

      I agree with all of the above, I'm just reflecting the mantra that the atheists (kids) are constantly posting. I'm getting tired of the same old line from just a few total dorks, so I returned the favor.

      I kinda wish we had a religion sub forum so I could ignore the threads there. Kinda like when the pc section was acknowledged as the cess pit of the forum...
      Credo quia absurdum.


      Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
        I agree with all of the above, I'm just reflecting the mantra that the atheists (kids) are constantly posting. I'm getting tired of the same old line from just a few total dorks, so I returned the favor.

        I kinda wish we had a religion sub forum so I could ignore the threads there. Kinda like when the pc section was acknowledged as the cess pit of the forum...
        You...wish...we...had...a...religious...subforum.. .so...you...could...ignore...it...

        Must...find...meds...
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          You...wish...we...had...a...religious...subforum.. .so...you...could...ignore...it...

          Must...find...meds...
          It makes sense actually it'd draw the trolls in and they could continue to act like children and quit bothering us adults...
          Credo quia absurdum.


          Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
            I agree with all of the above, I'm just reflecting the mantra that the atheists (kids) are constantly posting. I'm getting tired of the same old line from just a few total dorks, so I returned the favor.

            I kinda wish we had a religion sub forum so I could ignore the threads there. Kinda like when the pc section was acknowledged as the cess pit of the forum...
            Guess what? Neither MM or i are anything but kids.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

            Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

            youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

            Comment


            • #66
              Atheists do not have faith that gods do not exist. There is no evidence for the claims of a creator. Without that evidence there is no good reason to believe.

              None of you believe magical unicorns exist correct? What proof do you have that they don't exist? It is not my burden to prove your gods exist.
              First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                Atheists do not have faith that gods do not exist. There is no evidence for the claims of a creator. Without that evidence there is no good reason to believe.

                None of you believe magical unicorns exist correct? What proof do you have that they don't exist? It is not my burden to prove your gods exist.
                I can assure you that I, for one, don't lay any burden on yourself to prove the existence of any Deity.

                What you choose to believe, is important only to yourself.

                The point is that anyone domiciled in the Western World- what used to be called Christendom- can protest,whinge, and argue their disbelief until the cows come home,but the hard fact remains that the environment in which they operate is basically Judeo-Christian .It might not always be obvious.It might be dismissed as only the remnants of historical and obsolete tradition. But,nevertheless, it's all pervasive.It's there,like it or not , for better or worse and ,yes, there's no escape.

                As for faith-or lack of it,

                "There are more things in heaven and earth,Horatio,than are dreamt of in your philosophy" (Hamlet, Shakespeare).

                You know better ? Well - good !
                "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                Samuel Johnson.

                Comment


                • #68
                  And whether I like it or not elements of Nordic, Greek, and Roman culture are also in most every aspect of my life. I admit that, but that doesn't mean I believe that a supernatural being/s made and run/s everything.

                  Believe whatever you like. Just don't force others to partake. (Many wish to pass their religious beliefs into our laws).
                  First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                    And whether I like it or not elements of Nordic, Greek, and Roman culture are also in most every aspect of my life. I admit that, but that doesn't mean I believe that a supernatural being/s made and run/s everything.

                    Believe whatever you like. Just don't force others to partake. (Many wish to pass their religious beliefs into our laws).
                    Isn't that what I've said: believe what you like ? You refuse to believe in a Deity ? Well- good. Just don't demean those of us who might suspect that there just may be more to existence than is immediately apparent.

                    And no, you're wrong, The philosophy that guides Western Society is a mixture of Athens and Jerusalem, to put it geographically.
                    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                    Samuel Johnson.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Why? Many posters here give me negative rep, insults, and much more for stating my beliefs. Why do religions deserve my respect? The Jewish, Muslim, and Christian books tell of a god who gleefully murdered millions and he condemns billions more to eternal culture. Why do I need to respect something that says I will be tortured forever for not believing in something with no proof? I respect you as people and your beliefs are you own. Just don't expect me to not dislike your religions. I will not insult or demean you, but that doesn't mean I won't debate with you on the matter when you state that your deity's existence is undisputed fact. Let's also get another thing straight. There are thousands upon thousands of gods, godesses, and other supernatural creatures that people believe in. I disbelieve in them all equally. Belief in something without any sort of proof is faith correct? Disbelief in something with no proof is not faith. It's logic.

                      Nope. It's far far more than that. Was the Roman Empire nothing? What about thousands of years of other influences?
                      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                        Why? Many posters here give me negative rep, insults, and much more for stating my beliefs. Why do religions deserve my respect? The Jewish, Muslim, and Christian books tell of a god who gleefully murdered millions and he condemns billions more to eternal culture. Why do I need to respect something that says I will be tortured forever for not believing in something with no proof? I respect you as people and your beliefs are you own. Just don't expect me to not dislike your religions. I will not insult or demean you, but that doesn't mean I won't debate with you on the matter when you state that your deity's existence is undisputed fact. Let's also get another thing straight. There are thousands upon thousands of gods, godesses, and other supernatural creatures that people believe in. I disbelieve in them all equally. Belief in something without any sort of proof is faith correct? Disbelief in something with no proof is not faith. It's logic.

                        Nope. It's far far more than that. Was the Roman Empire nothing? What about thousands of years of other influences?
                        Where did I ever say that the existence of a Deity was "an undisputed fact "?
                        Frankly, I don't know and I don't kid myself I have all the answers.

                        You do ? Well done !!

                        No, the Roman Empire was not "nothing ". But everything that you've ever learnt about the Romans, and the Norse, and everybody else was taught and passed -on by scholars who saw everything through the prism of (in the West's case) Christianity. That's what I meant that the world view of the West is totally coloured by the Judeo-Chrstianity:- plus an admixture from the Greek philosophers, admittedly. Whether they all were faithfull believers themselves was another matter of course, but the prevailling paradigm, like it or not, was Christian.

                        Which is why there's a discussion concerning the absence of a Military Guard from a ceremony in an American church, even in these secular times.
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X