Army Pulls Hnor Guard From Historic Church Ceremony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Pulls Hnor Guard From Historic Church Ceremony

More and more, I find myself wondering what America stands for these days.

For nearly two decades, the U.S. Army has provided an honor guard for an Independence Day celebration at a Baptist church that predates the founding of the nation. But this year – that tradition has come to an end.
    Officials at Fort Gordon say they will not be able to send an honor guard to a July 5th service at Abilene Baptist Church because it violates a military policy banning any involvement in a religious service.
    “While there are conditions under which the Army can participate in events conducted at a house of worship, we cannot participate in the context of a religious service,” Public Affairs Officer J.C. Mathews told me.
    He said officials at Fort Gordon as well as the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate reviewed the church’s request and determined they were in fact holding a “religious service.”
    So it’s OK to invite the troops so long as you don’t pray, talk about Jesus or read the Bible?
    “As a result, the Army is not permitted to take part,” Mathews said.
    That policy would be an offense to most churches in America – but it is especially offensive when you consider the Army just refused to provide an honor guard for a church whose first pastor was a chaplain in the Revolutionary Army.

Abilene Baptist Church was founded in 1774 – one of Georgia’s most historic churches and the second oldest in the state. The founding pastor was arrested by a colonial magistrate for “preaching in Georgia” and the first pastor, Reverend Loveless Savage, was a chaplain in the Revolutionary Army.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...lebration.html
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

I wonder... When did it become US military policy to not be involved in any religious service?

Comment

The government isn't supposed to show favor to any one religion or those who lack a religion.
      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        I wonder... When did it become US military policy to not be involved in any religious service?
        Within the last year or so, when they started court martialing chaplains and troops for being Christians, which began under our first Muslim president.

Seems to me the honor guard could have easily been made up of volunteers, as was the case when I served on my unit's HG at Fort Benning.

We often attended off post functions, and prayers were usually said to open those functions. Different world then.

Comment

Why as an agnostic are you fighting to keep Christianity in our government?

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
            The government isn't supposed to show favor to any one religion or those who lack a religion.
            Since anyone can request a formal honor guard for a civic or religious function, there is no "favoritism" being shown.

I presume that you missed the part about this being a long-standing event of the past two decades, as well as the specific reason why this particular ceremony is held, to honor the very first military chaplain?

I presume you also realize that the Constitution requires the military to respect the religious beliefs of its troops, and to permit them to participate whenever they wish?

Given that the military must provide an honor guard for Obama, who is a Muslim, wherever he goes, I see no problem with Christians receiving equal treatment, and a huge problem when they don't.

Comment

It's a longstanding event to stamp our coins with, "in god we trust", and I don't agree with that.

There are Humanist chaplains in the armed forces. If I organize a parade will they be forced to attend? Or an atheist parade?

Do you really believe what you're saying? Obama is not a Muslim. So there are two choices. You are either ignorant by chance or willfully so.

Comment

Why as an agnostic are you fighting to keep Christianity in our government?
                It's not hard to understand if you're form my generation and have actually fought for what you believe in. It's probably hard for someone of your generation to grasp.

I'm a patriot and a military veteran descended from a long line of patriots who also served going back to the Civil War. I am not pro-religion; I'm pro Constitution and pro America. I see this as a deliberate destruction of the fabric of our nation with nothing of value to replace it with. Meanwhile, our government bends over backwards to allow Muslims to do whatever they wish in this nation, and that is just plain wrong on so many levels.

Either we have religious freedom or we do not. It's that simple.

Comment

We also have freedom FROM religion.

Comment

As far as I know our first Amendment states "Freedom of Religion" and I happen to know that this applies to the Military as well!
                    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Since anyone can request a formal honor guard for a civic or religious function, there is no "favoritism" being shown.
                      That's good. A certain Mosque in Phoenix could use their help.
                      ´
                      “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

Hey Del watch this and enjoy.

Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                          As far as I know our first Amendment states "Freedom of Religion" and I happen to know that this applies to the Military as well!
                          So because I don't believe in magical crap I don't have the same rights?

Comment

So because I don't believe in magical crap I don't have the same rights?
                            What 'rights' are you being denied?
                            We are not now that strength which in old days
                            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                              What 'rights' are you being denied?
                              If I don't have freedom from religion can I be forced to church? Forced to pray? Forced to recite how great some magic being is? Or as the Constitution says do I have freedom of religion?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X