• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffdoorgunnr
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Student loans explained:

You are a student going to a university. You pay $500 a semester to go.
    The government starts a loan program and offers to give you $500 in low interest loans that don't have to be repaid until you graduate.
    The university sees this loan program. They know you can pay $500 to go to school and that the government will give you $500 to go to school. So, they raise tuition to $1000 and offer to help you get the $500 loan. Now, they don't do that in one fell swoop, but over time they do do it.
    You are left with little choice but to get the loan and still pay $500 out of pocket. The university makes more money and they really don't give a rat's patoot that you are going to have thousands in loans to pay off after graduation, that is if you graduate.

That isn't their problem. The university is in business and that's true regardless of whether they are a public or private institution. They have to pay employees, pay utilities, and produce "product."

So, the solution is obvious: Remove government from the equation and watch tuition rates plummet.
    to be more accurate today.... you need to add a zero to the end of those amounts..........

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    In Louisiana the colleges are losing staff every time Jindal sends in a budget which always have major cuts in education. I have not heard of any College Presidents cutting their staff or salary. The LSU system could use some pay cuts for sure.

Things are so bad at LSU that the Football Department is giving money to the academic side!

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Paul Mann III
    replied
    Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
    Overpaid faculty/staff is a big cause of rising costs of college.

Are they worth it?
    Do they really earn it?

(And people complain about Corp. (profit making) CEO incomes? )
    I wouldn't know if they are worth it - most of our highest earners aren't professors, and the admins and staff are just pushing paper that didn't affect me.

Glad I got out before I got the tuition hike for the new wave of non-educators.

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    For most, going to college to get a degree is seen as a way to have a better than average paying job, i.e. it's a "capital investment" they plan/hope to make a return on, sufficient to pay-off that investment. The investment is the tuition, books, etc. which might be paid in cash and/or OPM, but the key consideration is it's purpose is for "personal gain".

As a taxpayer, citizen and general consumer I tend to get a bit bent shelling out my hard-earned and limited money to provide some-one else's pathway to a higher income and better lifestyle than what I have.

Plan talk here, you want a career and a $60,000(+)/year job and it requires a college degree, that's an investment YOU make and have no moral or ethic reason to expect others to put out for you to get such.

There are no guarantees in employment and economics. I've had a few ventures in self-employment and small-business that didn't work out as well as hoped/expected. Hard lessons to learn but I paid off the costs and debts uncured in those attempts which had a degree of risk for failure as part of the opportunity being attempted.

When it's your personal gain being pursued, it's your personal responsibilty regards the costs and risks involved.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    I see the employment problem today as a situation caused from several primary sources:

First, the government got involved in making all sorts of restrictive labor laws. This has made employers reluctant to hire anyone without a proven track record. Education, previous similar employment, and the like are now necessary to even get considered for many jobs.

Entry level jobs for teens are nearly non-existent too. My first job at 16 was in the hardware department at a WT Grants store. I made keys, handled chemicals, all that sort of thing. Today, that'd be illegal for me to do at 16. Labor laws would prevent me working in a "hazardous" job like that.

Then there is the transition we're going through from the Industrial Age to the Electronics Age. Industrial Age jobs are evaporating. Manufacturing is being automated. Office work has been automated. All that has left many who could have gotten a decent wage in the Industrial Age by being able to show up for work everyday and do some menial task with a few week's training are now gone.

K to 12 schools are still stuck training students to prepare for the Industrial Age. That needs to change too.

But, the major underlying cause is simply too much government in the market place. Until government gets out of the way things will only get worse.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Except they're looking to automate that job because of the whiny losers trying to get $15 an hour...
    Not as much as you might think. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you in principle, it's just that we need to remember how much the Obama administration screwed up the economy. In the good old days working at McDonalds was the realm of high school/college kids and stoners. But these days you have a lot of people working in the food service industry just because that's all that's available. These people have families to raise and would be glad to take a "real" job if there was one open. But under a contracted economy, that isn't always the case.

Now I happen to believe that the better solution in lieu of raising the minimum wage is stimulating the economy with deregulation and tax cuts and getting these college educated food service workers employed in their respective fields (and they didn't all take basic basketweaving). But people need to understand the realities of the Obama economy. People asking for higher minimum wage is a symptom and the cure isn't telling them "go get a job". Nobody chooses to work at McDonalds who is trained to work anywhere else. The cure is "giving them the job they are qualified to get".

It's not an entitlement problem. It's an economy problem.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Student loans explained:

You are a student going to a university. You pay $500 a semester to go.
    The government starts a loan program and offers to give you $500 in low interest loans that don't have to be repaid until you graduate.
    The university sees this loan program. They know you can pay $500 to go to school and that the government will give you $500 to go to school. So, they raise tuition to $1000 and offer to help you get the $500 loan. Now, they don't do that in one fell swoop, but over time they do do it.
    You are left with little choice but to get the loan and still pay $500 out of pocket. The university makes more money and they really don't give a rat's patoot that you are going to have thousands in loans to pay off after graduation, that is if you graduate.

That isn't their problem. The university is in business and that's true regardless of whether they are a public or private institution. They have to pay employees, pay utilities, and produce "product."

So, the solution is obvious: Remove government from the equation and watch tuition rates plummet.
    Or alternately, punish universities for gaming the system.

That's one area where I disagree with you. The fault of high tuition isn't that the government is giving student loans, it's that the universities are abusing the system. Cutting student loans would stop the practice at the cost of taking loans away from students who might need them. Since the universities are engaging in price gouging, have Uncle Sam take them to the woodshed and beat some honesty into them.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Actually in the small towns working at the local fast food restaurant can be good way for people with families to earn a living. If you qualify for health insurance, vacation pay and other stuff, it gets better. I still remember when our bus pulled into a Burger Chef in Opelousas after my High School JV played the Opelousas High JV. From my high seat I saw some workers in the back look at us and register shock! There were no High School students working this place. It was all Mothers and Grandmothers and one middle aged male (manager?). I have ran into the same phenomena getting off the interstate to eat at say a MacDonalds.

Here North of Houston Hispanic husbands and wives can almost get by with both working for Mickey D's. I have seen pairs walking home after their shift was over. I gripe sometimes when the Hispanic crew screws up my order, but my daughter says she loves her 'Merry Mexicans' working these places near her work.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
    I have a cousin (female) who got a BA in Rhetoric from Berkeley. The guy she ended up marrying, who she met at Berkeley, got his degree in Chemistry. Guess who's bringing home the bacon in their family? Hint: It's him. When she got her degree I had no idea there was such a thing and what you'd do with one if you had it.
    That's sounds like a degree for making speeches and debating. What good is something like that? Oh, wait - is that what Obama has?

Kind of like a degree in women's studies or black studies...good for patching holes in the walls.

We used to call those "sandbox diplomas", as in: "I see you played in the sandbox long enough to gt a degree in it. Now take out the trash."

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    AJ happens to be right. The people expecting $15 an hour for serving french fries and burgers are in for a rude surprise, and they are whiny little losers. No one promised them they would get rich working in fast food, and it was never intended to a be a lifetime career field for losers.

Want to make more money? Work your ass off; move up and move on.
    Don't snivel and cry and pretend to be a "victim". The world does not owe you a living.

Based on your posts, I'm guessing you're young and inexperienced with little practical knowledge of what really makes the world go around.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Except they're looking to automate that job because of the whiny losers trying to get $15 an hour...
    Why do you despise your fellow human beings? Why do you constantly insult groups of people and make snide comments? It hasn't been once, twice, or even thrice, but almost every thread you post in. Show some compassion for others once in a while. It will do you good.

Leave a comment:

• Rojik
    replied
    You should be happy. High unemployment will keep you in a job.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    If you're Karl Marx a degree in Rhetoric would be very useful... If you aren't...

There's always room to move as a fry cook!

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
    I have a cousin (female) who got a BA in Rhetoric from Berkeley. The guy she ended up marrying, who she met at Berkeley, got his degree in Chemistry. Guess who's bringing home the bacon in their family? Hint: It's him. When she got her degree I had no idea there was such a thing and what you'd do with one if you had it.
    If you're Karl Marx a degree in Rhetoric would be very useful... If you aren't...

There's always room to move as a fry cook!

Leave a comment:

• Steve573
    replied

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X