No announcement yet.

US Supreme Court rebuts Jerusalem passport law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a question here, If Israel has control over Jerusalem, why can't Israel determine that Jerusalem is their Capital, what does the US or the UN have to do with it, I realize that (the almost useless) UN considers it's self the worlds ruling government (which they are not), just my two cents!
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
      Just a question here, If Israel has control over Jerusalem, why can't Israel determine that Jerusalem is their Capital, what does the US or the UN have to do with it, I realize that (the almost useless) UN considers it's self the worlds ruling government (which they are not), just my two cents!
      In the same way they can not recognize Russian ownership of Crimea, or how nobody but Turkey recognizes Northern Cyprus, and how both China's can refuse to recognize one another. Recognition is basically official acceptance.

It seems that the reason why the US continues to not recognize Jerusalem as the capital is that it would be de facto recognition that Jerusalem is wholly part of Israel - which isn't something the US wants to do when it has tried on and off for decades to force a two-state peace settlement that more aligns with the pre-67 borders.

American diplomatic language regarding Jerusalem is very particular. For instance, it notes that Jerusalem is where Israel claims its capital is, but the US repeats that it like many others states maintains its embassy in Tel Aviv. Recognition is a powerful tool, and it's a bargaining chip at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
        Recognition is a powerful tool, and it's a bargaining chip at the moment.
        I agree with everything else, but I'd say that one's mileage may vary as to the real "power" of this tool. It has symbolic value, sure. It can help, once things are set in motion - but, I'd suspect, by actually concrete factors - in the direction indicated by the recognition or lack thereof. But I doubt it, in itself, can cause real momentum.

For instance, for decades the maps issued by the US Departments (State, Defense) never portrayed the Soviet Union as one country including the three Baltic states. There often was a small footnote that "the US do not recognize the annexation of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia".
        That came in handy once these states declared independence, sure. But it took decades and much wider-ranging economic and political factors to achieve that result.
        Michele

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X