No announcement yet.

Kalief Browder, Jailed For Years Without Trial, Kills Himself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't walk around with a AK and they still call me 'sir'. I hate that btw. I was enlisted, not a friggen officer...
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
      I don't walk around with a AK and they still call me 'sir'. I hate that btw. I was enlisted, not a friggen officer...
      Now, now...
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
        Just for arguments' sake, what do you believe needs to be done to 'repair' the system?

Sincerely,
        M
        I wish I had the answers but I don't. I know that most times when we see a miscarriage of justice it's the exception, not the rule, which is good. I also am sure that most people working in the criminal justice system are doing their best in a difficult job, so I don't want to come across as critical to those people (I wouldn't want to do it so any criticism from me wouldn't be fair to those who do). A high profile example though: the OJ trial, which I know has been talked to death but seriously, he was guilty of murdering two people and walked away. The legal system allowed him to walk away, just as it allows others to do the same who aren't high profile and sometimes catches the wrong people and locks them up based on courtroom tricks and stupid juries. The OJ jury was made up of idiots who fell for the tricks of the defense team, but also the judge was (in my opinion) way too lenient when dealing with Johnny Cochran and his team, allowing ridiculous attacks on the cops who did the investigation that had nothing to do with the evidence itself. Back during that trial I was going to school in the mornings and driving a delivery truck in the afternoons, and every day I listened live to the trial just as a way to pass the time while in the truck, and I think my opinion of the courts was forever tainted.
        I suppose one suggestion: professional jurists, not juries made up of retirees, the unemployed and mailmen. Why can't we have a legal profession that trains people enough to understand the proceedings in the courtroom, the presentation of evidence, and the rules of testimony so that they can have some hope of wading through the lawyer's BS and reach a fair decision? Juries that change from case to case randomly but are made up of professionals rather than amateurs? I know we're supposed to have a jury of peers but I think I'd rather have someone who knows what they're talking about...especially if I'm innocent and on trial!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
          I wish I had the answers but I don't. I know that most times when we see a miscarriage of justice it's the exception, not the rule, which is good. I also am sure that most people working in the criminal justice system are doing their best in a difficult job, so I don't want to come across as critical to those people (I wouldn't want to do it so any criticism from me wouldn't be fair to those who do). A high profile example though: the OJ trial, which I know has been talked to death but seriously, he was guilty of murdering two people and walked away. The legal system allowed him to walk away, just as it allows others to do the same who aren't high profile and sometimes catches the wrong people and locks them up based on courtroom tricks and stupid juries. The OJ jury was made up of idiots who fell for the tricks of the defense team, but also the judge was (in my opinion) way too lenient when dealing with Johnny Cochran and his team, allowing ridiculous attacks on the cops who did the investigation that had nothing to do with the evidence itself. Back during that trial I was going to school in the mornings and driving a delivery truck in the afternoons, and every day I listened live to the trial just as a way to pass the time while in the truck, and I think my opinion of the courts was forever tainted.
          I suppose one suggestion: professional jurists, not juries made up of retirees, the unemployed and mailmen. Why can't we have a legal profession that trains people enough to understand the proceedings in the courtroom, the presentation of evidence, and the rules of testimony so that they can have some hope of wading through the lawyer's BS and reach a fair decision? Juries that change from case to case randomly but are made up of professionals rather than amateurs? I know we're supposed to have a jury of peers but I think I'd rather have someone who knows what they're talking about...especially if I'm innocent and on trial!
          I've often thought a panel of judges rather than a jury, because being former lawyers these judges would be well-educated and immune to the PR tricks of lawyers. Like the USSC.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
            Ah, the old "he was reaching."

Meanwhile, white dudes walk around with AKs and the cops call them "sir."

Weird.
            As I've observed previously, an unarmed black person is a threat, a white guy with an AR 15 is a citizen.
            Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
              As I've observed previously, an unarmed black person is a threat, a white guy with an AR 15 is a citizen.
              How the frak did those negros get into the White House, Senate, House, Supreme Court, Attorney General................????????????
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

They stole the elections. Black people steal everything, don't you know?

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                How the frak did those negros get into the White House, Senate, House, Supreme Court, Attorney General................????????????
                If you ask some of our fellow members? They burgled the joint...

Probably ought to have pool party piglet bust them all for trespass.
                "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                  You folks generalize a lot down under, do you?

I wonder what you call an Armed Aborigine?

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                    Feeling a tad racist today?

Comment

The problem with all of this whining, moaning, hair pulling, teeth gnashing and carrying-on is that we have no proof that he wouldn't have killed himself even had he not be arrested.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        The problem with all of this whining, moaning, hair pulling, teeth gnashing and carrying-on is that we have no proof that he wouldn't have killed himself even had he not be arrested.
                        Ah, the FOX News - "He was no saint" perspective?

Which commentator did you plagiarize that line from? My cable isn't hooked up yet, so I'm missing a lot of key racist and classist comments from that outlet.
                        "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X