Woman Forced To Crawl Onto American Airlines Plane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman Forced To Crawl Onto American Airlines Plane

Before the all of the Foxophobics and Foxanoiacs blow this off, the airline has already apologized for incident, which did take place.

A wheelchair-bound woman is suing American Airlines, claiming that the carrier forced her to crawl to her seat in the middle of the plane after not providing an access ramp.
    Theresa Purcell suffers from a bone disease that leaves her with limited mobility. She told KHON 2 that she flies regularly due to her work as a hip hop artist. Since this was the first time she flew American, Purcell says she told the gate agent in San Diego she would need assistance before boarding. But when it was time to get on the plane, the passenger says she was told it was too late to set up an access ramp.
    “There was a ramp right next to the plane and she was like, ‘Oh, it’s too late,’ so I was like ‘Okay, so we can’t just, the ramp is right there. Can’t you guys just push it right here so I can get on?’ and she’s like, ‘Oh, I’m sorry,” Purcell told KHON 2.
    With no other options, the passenger said she had to get out of her wheelchair and crawl to reach her assigned seat.
    “I crawled up onto the steps. I crawled into the plane. There was no other way for me to get on the plane so I crawled up to the plane.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/0...l-to-her-seat/

This was AA's apology:

"On behalf of US Airways and American Airlines, please accept our apologies for the difficulties Ms. Purcell experienced with her request for level entry boarding. We regret that a ramp was not requested so Ms. Purcell would be able to board the aircraft without going up the stairs, assistance should have been provided shortly thereafter. Based on what you have shared, it appears our employees didn’t provide the the attentive, courteous and professional service we expect as a company."
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

I'd be more willing to accept AA's apology if it included...

"And, the employees involved were disciplined and those retained will be undergoing remedial training..."

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      I'd be more willing to accept AA's apology if it included...

"And, the employees involved were disciplined and those retained will be undergoing remedial training..."
      Oh, I am sure there are some ex employees now, or shortly thereafter. Depending upon company and union contracts, disclosing the above sentence (at least in regards to disciplining) may be legally premature. From the text of the statement, it would seem that American had not yet completed/conducted an investigation.

Comment

They should be relatively easy to terminate, as they weren't AA employees, but employees of a regional affiliate.

Comment

I've met a few stewardesses in my travels to know that many are dumb as a box of rocks. Those that were present and allowed this to happen should be fired!
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

50 people watched her crawl and no one asked if she may need a hand?
            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
              That also burns me.
              My worst jump story:
              No lie.

~
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

That struck me as well. Makes me wonder if we're getting the entire story. Far be it for me to impinge the integrity of a hip-hop performer, but that seemed rather odd.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  That struck me as well. Makes me wonder if we're getting the entire story. Far be it for me to impinge the integrity of a hip-hop performer, but that seemed rather odd.
                  Sometimes, people just don't know how to ask for help. Sometimes, pride is too strong, although crawling about in front of 50 people is not something to be so proud of in my book.

And in this day and age, with so many crazies out their and when you can get sued for trying to help someone, it is no wonder many won't even lift an eyebrow.

I once saw a wallet fall out of the purse of a woman walking in front of me. I pick it up and and was speeding up to return it to her. She turned around just in time to see me only a few feet behind her holding her wallet. A slap and a quick kick to my groin freed me from her wallet and made me intimate with the pavement. The bitch picked up her wallet, call me some unmentionable names and kicked me again before she walked away.

Now, there was a guy that was behind me and saw the whole thing and I saw him freeze. After she walked away, he said, "Dude, that was brutal. She went psycho on you. Maybe I should have said something, but I didn't want to get involved".
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                    Sometimes, people just don't know how to ask for help. Sometimes, pride is too strong, although crawling about in front of 50 people is not something to be so proud of in my book.

And in this day and age, with so many crazies out their and when you can get sued for trying to help someone, it is no wonder many won't even lift an eyebrow.
                    I think the lawsuit thing is pretty acute. People don't want to get involved with the handicapped for fear of being sued for making things worse.

It's like how those laws against discriminating against the handicapped actually increased unemployment for the handicapped - because hey, now you've just turned someone from a person into a potential lawsuit.

But then, this is America - land of the litigation, home of the lawsuit.

I once saw a wallet fall out of the purse of a woman walking in front of me. I pick it up and and was speeding up to return it to her. She turned around just in time to see me only a few feet behind her holding her wallet. A slap and a quick kick to my groin freed me from her wallet and made me intimate with the pavement. The bitch picked up her wallet, call me some unmentionable names and kicked me again before she walked away.

Now, there was a guy that was behind me and saw the whole thing and I saw him freeze. After she walked away, he said, "Dude, that was brutal. She went psycho on you. Maybe I should have said something, but I didn't want to get involved".
                    Imagine if she'd had a gun - you might not be alive now to talk about it.

Comment

Business in SA where warned before the fifa 2010 to be sued by sue happy Americans. "This coffee is to hot to drink. Let me wait for it to cool down a bit." Is our normal response. Not let's sue them.
                      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        Maybe they thought she was break-dancing?
                        My worst jump story:
                        No lie.

~
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

You have won this thread....
                          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I'm also amazed at the lack of a simple "thank you" when you help someone these days. Not that I need it, but what happened to common courtesy?
                            My worst jump story:
                            No lie.

~
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                              I'm also amazed at the lack of a simple "thank you" when you help someone these days. Not that I need it, but what happened to common courtesy?
                              It went the way of a lot of things.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X