Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico and Canada seek US sanctions

Mexico and Canada seek $3bn in US sanctions over meat

Mexico and Canada have called a meeting with the World Trade Organisation (WTO) to request the right to impose sanctions on the US, worth $3bn (2bn).

The move is in retaliation to US meat-labelling rules, which the two countries say discriminate against them.

The WTO has already upheld a ruling in favour of Canada and Mexico, saying the rules treated them less favourably.

The US said it would object to the measures being imposed.

"The amended COOL [country of origin labelling] measure, which causes Canadian and Mexican livestock and meat to be segregated from those of US origin, is damaging to North America's supply chain and is harmful to producers and processors in all three countries," a joint statement from Canada and Mexico said.
    BBC - Full Article

Maybe the US should look into posting sanctions on NAFTA traffic?

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

It would be much better if everyone bought their meat from local farmers and butcher instead.

Comment

A problem is Mexico (in particular) and Canada, is they do not raise their beef with the same restrictions as the FDA (FEDS). Labor costs in Mexico are also much lower. With the drought in California, most ranchers have sold off their herds long ago. Even the dairy farmers should be looking at selling their cows.

Each country has different rules for raising cattle for beef sales. This is not like intrastate commerce.

I buy my meat products from a local super market. I have no clue where they butcher the animals and do the rough cuts. I used to cut up my own meat when I had a small store. I am pretty certain all that meat was grown locally.

Pruitt

Comment

Good. Let's sell more American products in America.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Easy method. Just label all American products. If you want local you get local.
            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Good - I hope they do impose sanctions - let's go back to a US-based economy. How about if everyone imposes sanctions?

Comment

That caussed a great depression.
                you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Not so much Andy. In the US the final straw was when several small, uninsured banks in Tennessee failed. A contributing problem was everyone was overproducing goods and no one bought them, causing prices to fall. Then we had a president that thought tightening up the money supply would solve the problem. In effect it soaked up money like a sponge does water. Then nobody had any money and the banks kept calling in mortgages.

An unregulated economy with no restrictions on banking habits caused much of the problem.

What I want to know is if I have to buy Mexican Beef, does it pass the same quality standards as beef raised in the US? Since the US inspectors can not go to Mexico, I think we know he answer to that!

US producers can and do screw up. A certain Ice Cream producer, North of Houston, let its clean up procedures get so lax, the machinery got bacteria inside. They may end up going out of business because once you let bacteria in, it is almost impossible to get rid of.

Pruitt

Comment

This rule is so that US sellers don't have to disclose to buyers where the meat is from. In Mexico's case it is to their advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      This rule is so that US sellers don't have to disclose to buyers where the meat is from. In Mexico's case it is to their advantage.
                      My Dad once took the family on the Great American Vacation. We went as far West as Big Bend National Park. On the way back we drove to Nueva Laredo and walked around the place. I will never forget the open air meat market we walked through. Then my Dad walked us into a Restaurant he used to frequent when he was in the Air Force across the river! He ordered steak! I can't remember if I ate anything or not...

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                        That caussed a great depression.
                        You da man!!!

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Wasn't there an outbreak of mad-cow disease in Canada not too long ago?
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Meat should have been excluded from these agreements then again maybe we can export more of our pollution.
                            We hunt the hunters

Comment

House votes to repeal country-of-origin labeling on meat

WASHINGTON (AP) Under threat of trade retaliation from Canada and Mexico, the House has voted to to repeal a law requiring country-of-origin labels on packages of beef, pork and poultry.

The World Trade Organization rejected a U.S. appeal last month, ruling the labels that say where animals were born, raised and slaughtered are discriminatory against the two U.S. border countries. Both have said they plan to ask the WTO for permission to impose billions of dollars in tariffs on American goods.

The House voted 300-131 to repeal labels that tell consumers what countries the meat is from for example, "born in Canada, raised and slaughtered in the United States" or "born, raised and slaughtered in the United States."

The WTO ruled against the labels last year. The Obama administration has already revised the labels once to try to comply with previous WTO rulings. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack has said it's up to Congress to change the law to avoid retaliation from the two countries.
                              AP - Full Article

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X