Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "No Cell Phone" Sentence For Manslaughter

The decline of America continues...

A Michigan woman accused of being distracted by her cellphone when her car struck and killed a bicyclist has been barred from using any portable communication device for two years.
    "I don't think she has a right to have a cellphone," Clinton County District Judge Stewart McDonald said. "I think it's a privilege."
    Police said Mitzi Nelson was distracted by her phone last fall when she hit Jill Byelich, 35, who was riding a bike near DeWitt, north of Lansing. Nelson pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge.
    Nelson, 23, will spend at least 90 days in jail over staggered periods and must speak to new drivers about the dangers of distracted driving, the judge said Wednesday.
    http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...ntcmp=features
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

No decline, it's always been that way. Using your car to kill/injure someone has always drawn lesser penalties than if you used another instrument. I don't know why, or agree with it, but that's the way it is. Just like holding up a 7-11 and stealing $200 will always draw a stiffer sentence than a white collar criminal who steals millions.

Comment

No cell for two years? Did she get to keep her license?
      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
        No cell for two years? Did she get to keep her license?
        I always thought that a vehicular manslaughter conviction was a prerequisite for a license in New Jersey.

Rimshot
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          I always thought that a vehicular manslaughter conviction was a prerequisite for a license in New Jersey.

Rimshot
          And for a New York cab license...

Comment

So, how will this Progressive judge enforce the ban? While she is still driving? Or at all times?
            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              And for a New York cab license...
              No: that requires an alias -- that includes the letters Q and Z, but not U.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Does seem ridiculously lenient. But then it is just one instance. In the UK the penalty for killing a cyclist is pretty random, from a fine to several years in gaol. All depends on how many times the judge has been stuck behind a cyclist when driving.

Judges tend to like lorry drivers for some reason.
                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                  Does seem ridiculously lenient. But then it is just one instance. In the UK the penalty for killing a cyclist is pretty random, from a fine to several years in gaol. All depends on how many times the judge has been stuck behind a cyclist when driving.

Judges tend to like lorry drivers for some reason.
                  That could have something to do with it. It might taint my judgement as well......
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                    No: that requires an alias -- that includes the letters Q and Z, but not U.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                      No decline, it's always been that way. Using your car to kill/injure someone has always drawn lesser penalties than if you used another instrument. I don't know why, or agree with it, but that's the way it is. Just like holding up a 7-11 and stealing $200 will always draw a stiffer sentence than a white collar criminal who steals millions.
                      Unless you're drunk then they throw the book at you...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        Unless you're drunk then they throw the book at you...
                        Unless you are a politician or a movie star. Then you get a free pass as many times as you need it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X