Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pink slips at Disney for 250 workers. But first, they must train their replacements f

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    This problem is nothing new the Neo-Cons just updated it.

    History of union busting in the United States

    "As workers moved away from farm work to factories, mines and other hard labor, they faced harsh working conditions such as long hours, low pay and health risks. Children and women worked in factories and generally received lower pay than men. The government did little to limit these injustices. Labor movements in the industrialized world developed that lobbied for better rights and safer conditions. Shaped by wars, depressions, government policies, judicial rulings, and global competition, the early years of the battleground between unions and management were adversarial and often identified with aggressive hostility"

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History..._United_States

    I believe in capitalism but when the government is too deeply in bed with business it's called fascism. We can add "the war on corruption" to the growing list of things we can't seem to get a handle on.
    We hunt the hunters

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
      This problem is nothing new the Neo-Cons just updated it.

      History of union busting in the United States

      "As workers moved away from farm work to factories, mines and other hard labor, they faced harsh working conditions such as long hours, low pay and health risks. Children and women worked in factories and generally received lower pay than men. The government did little to limit these injustices. Labor movements in the industrialized world developed that lobbied for better rights and safer conditions. Shaped by wars, depressions, government policies, judicial rulings, and global competition, the early years of the battleground between unions and management were adversarial and often identified with aggressive hostility"

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History..._United_States

      I believe in capitalism but when the government is too deeply in bed with business it's called fascism. We can add "the war on corruption" to the growing list of things we can't seem to get a handle on.
      Well said!
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
      Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

      Comment


      • #18
        You can't earn the most money and also pay the cheapest prices, can you? I mean the profit has to come from somewhere and you've reached the point where the only place left to take it from is cheaper workforce.
        Wisdom is personal

        Comment


        • #19
          I will wager that Disney does not set prices low enough to greatly affect its profits. I think corporations that farm out work to overseas workers or bring in cheaper workers to the US should lose any federal subsidies and tax breaks they are getting.

          Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

          Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

          by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Karri View Post
            You can't earn the most money and also pay the cheapest prices, can you? I mean the profit has to come from somewhere and you've reached the point where the only place left to take it from is cheaper workforce.
            If the work force earns too little to support the economy, the whole principle of pay as little and sell high is bound to fail.
            Unless the banks provide cheap and plentiful access to cheap credit.
            This way the political and economic challenge becomes one of supporting your greed in order to prevent a world wide economic failure.
            So far this plan has worked well for some.
            Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
            Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              If the work force earns too little to support the economy, the whole principle of pay as little and sell high is bound to fail.
              Unless the banks provide cheap and plentiful access to cheap credit.
              This way the political and economic challenge becomes one of supporting your greed in order to prevent a world wide economic failure.
              So far this plan has worked well for some.
              But that isn't a corporate concern. As long as they show a good profit, they don't care if the general economy tanks.

              Have you taken a look at what it costs to spend a day at Disney World these days? A lot of potential visitors are priced right out of the market.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

              Comment


              • #22
                One big problem right now is that we are transitioning from the Industrial Age to the Electronics Age. As with the early Industrial Revolution, this is causing an upheaval in how people are employed. Industry no longer needs masses of simpletons doing some menial repetitive task as they can get a computer to do it better and cheaper instead.

                What the future of employment will be is hard to say really. It is like trying to divine what the requirements of industry would be in 1900 living in 1650. One thing is for certain, employers will be needing fewer and fewer workers who have little or no skills beyond doing some simple task. Those days are gone.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  But that isn't a corporate concern. As long as they show a good profit, they don't care if the general economy tanks.

                  Have you taken a look at what it costs to spend a day at Disney World these days? A lot of potential visitors are priced right out of the market.
                  It's crazy expensive! The first time I went to Disney Land was in 1959, the last time was in 1982. I won't be back, I would rather go to Gettysburg.
                  Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                  Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    But that isn't a corporate concern. As long as they show a good profit, they don't care if the general economy tanks.

                    Have you taken a look at what it costs to spend a day at Disney World these days? A lot of potential visitors are priced right out of the market.
                    I know the California version is $100 + a head just to get through the gate and then expect to spend about $50 + a head per day for food, drinks, and trinkets.

                    Comment

                    Latest Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X