Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pink slips at Disney for 250 workers. But first, they must train their replacements f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink slips at Disney for 250 workers. But first, they must train their replacements f

Pink slips at Disney for 250 workers. But first, they must train their replacements from India

Julia Preston, The New York Times | June 4, 2015 12:19 PM ET

ORLANDO, Fla. – The employees who kept the data systems humming in the vast Walt Disney fantasy fief did not suspect trouble when they were suddenly summoned to meetings with their boss.

While families rode the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and searched for Nemo on clamobiles in the theme parks, these workers monitored computers in industrial buildings nearby, making sure millions of Walt Disney World ticket sales, store purchases and hotel reservations went through without a hitch. Some were performing so well that they thought they had been called in for bonuses.

Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost.

Read More..
    It's because of situations like this why Mitt "Job Creator" Romney lost the 2012 election.
    ´
    “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

But...the economy is doing great...BoBo says so.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Don't know who's worse. The company trying to boost profits by screwing people over. Or government that allows its people to be screwed over to help foreigners.
      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Slowly but surely, the death of the west is nigh.

Paul
        ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
        All human ills he can subdue,
        Or with a bauble or medal
        Can win mans heart for you;
        And many a blessing know to stew
        To make a megloamaniac bright;
        Give honour to the dainty Corse,
        The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Eisenhower wrote that Democracy and Capitalism will always defeat other economic systems as long as Democracy and Capitalism rewards all participants, as long as it provides a way for all Americans to provide for their families and to share a piece of the dream.
          America was a nice place, until our generation was handed the keys to the kingdom.
          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
            Slowly but surely, the death of the west is nigh.

Paul
            Yes, it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              Eisenhower wrote that Democracy and Capitalism will always defeat other economic systems as long as Democracy and Capitalism rewards all participants, as long as it provides a way for all Americans to provide for their families and to share a piece of the dream.
              America was a nice place, until our generation was handed the keys to the kingdom.
              My generation didn't "hand it to you" - you ripped it forcibly from our grasp with your desire for instant gratification and a totally disposable society.

Comment

Numbers tell it, via headlines at Drudge;
                92,986,000 People Not In Workforce...

55,951,000 Women Out...

6,652,000: More Americans Working Part-Time, But Not by Choice...

25,098,000 Foreign-Born Employed in USA...
                TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Similar thread started a couple weeks ago, for aadded context;
                  http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=159685
                  TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

"Here's where you park..."

If I were required to train my replacement I would sure as heck do the best job that I possibly could training the bejeezus out of those trainees.

"No kidding Ramen, these computer keyboards are completely water-proof. You don't have to worry about spilling your tea on them. They stop for a minute, reboot themselves and then you're good to go AND you won't lose any data..."
                    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

All I know is that I'm not going on any rides anywhere that are controlled by some Eastern Indian who works cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        My generation didn't "hand it to you" - you ripped it forcibly from our grasp with your desire for instant gratification and a totally disposable society.
                        Hey! Back off! I. As old as you are you fumbling old fool!
                        Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                        Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

This has been going on for a long time. 15 years ago, I had an interesting conversation with a boss from Atlanta who was in cahoots with a guy from India. Basically, the idea was to move the operation (a specialized call center) to India where, of course, the costs up front would be substantially cheaper. During the course of conversation, I basically implied that I didn't really approve of moving American jobs overseas to India. A political mistake of sorts but due to certain specific circumstances, I really didn't give a s**t.

The response from the Indian gentleman was 'hey, who are you to deny Indians a chance at a better life'. Of course, my boss tried to take a more business oriented response. In either case, I still didn't really budge.

IMHO, this is actually a business problem that has been reframed time after time as a conservative vs. democrat thing when really it's just a general US cultural problem. As a business issue, we are addicted to maximizing profits at the expense of US citizens and calling it efficiency. The result is that we get CEOs who have huge bonuses for cutting costs and running multinationals who have very little responsibilities overseas.

Comment

I have been connected to people that claimed to speak English and I could not understand them nor they, me! I was not happy! My issue was not resolved either!

Pruitt
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Reminds me of a HP laptop I bought, I got a recall notice for a defect in the motherboard and when I called the number I got some guy in India. He wanted $50 to talk to me just as a intro...

When I told him hell would freeze over before I gave him my credit card number he got all hostile and refused to let me contact his supervisor. Needless to say I will never ever buy a HP product again.

I don't care if its a inexpensive product, sometimes its just better to pony up and spend some cash...

Btw Disney should be boycotted for this and also filming the new 'star wars' with slave labor...
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X