China suspected in massive breach of federal personnel data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China suspected in massive breach of federal personnel data

WASHINGTON (AP) — China-based hackers are suspected of breaking into the computer networks of the U.S. government personnel office and stealing identifying information of at least 4 million federal workers, American officials said Thursday.

The Department of Homeland Security said in a statement that data from the Office of Personnel Management and the Interior Department had been compromised.

"The FBI is conducting an investigation to identify how and why this occurred," the statement said.

The hackers were believed to be based in China, said Sen. Susan Collins, a Maine Republican.

Collins, a member of the Senate intelligence committee, said the breach was "yet another indication of a foreign power probing successfully and focusing on what appears to be data that would identify people with security clearances."
    AP - Full Article

The question again arises: what are we going to do about it?

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Given the lack of freedom there, this hack, no doubt, originated from their Government spying network.
      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

I think we are in the last days of the internet as we know it. Russia and China don't want it and the only question is the extent to which a system that has allowed unprecedented openness and freedom of expression will be converted into a tool of observation and monitoring.

Comment

I think the internet is too big to die, but I agree that some dramatic changes could be in our future.

Maybe American hackers should concentrate their efforts on countries like China.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Wish we could give China a big EMP just for fun...
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
              I think we are in the last days of the internet as we know it. Russia and China don't want it and the only question is the extent to which a system that has allowed unprecedented openness and freedom of expression will be converted into a tool of observation and monitoring.
              I think that's an astute observation. Events like this will create changes in the internet. 'Evolution' I suppose marketing people would call it. I don't know enough about the technology to say how it will change, perhaps only State approved sites and users, everything else blocked, much heavier regulation. Just speculating.
              Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X