Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankroller of Democratic Voting Rights Cases? George Soros

EXCERPT:

The billionaire philanthropist George Soros, whose first major involvement in politics was with a large-scale voter mobilization effort in the 2004 presidential race, is funding a Democratic legal fight against restrictive voting laws.

Mr. Soros became involved last year when Marc Elias, one of the top Democratic lawyers specializing in voter protection issues, began exploring a series of federal suits in advance of the 2016 election, according to Mr. Soros’s political adviser, Michael Vachon.

Their goal is to try to influence voting rules in states where Republican governors and Republican-led legislatures have enacted new election laws since 2010, and to be ready to intervene when additional measures may be passed over the next 17 months.

Mr. Soros is prepared to spend $5 million or more on the effort, Mr. Vachon said. Two suits that he is supporting were filed in Ohio and in Wisconsin last month, and he is also funding a case Mr. Elias is involved
    with in North Carolina.

Mr. Vachon described the Democratic legal effort as an attempt to push back at Republicans who he said were “using the legislative process” for partisan purposes.
    http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...-george-soros/

The leftard version of the Koch brothers.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

I remember when I was going through the path to citizenship, a case worker told me to register to vote. She even provided the form needed to do so. I told her I will fill them out as soon as I become a U.S. citizen. Which is what I did.

Comment

"oh yeah? Who was vice president under LBJ?"

Provide positive i.d. in order to obtain a ballot. Use profiling if necessary.
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
          And that's a canard. It's well known here that significant numbers of certain communities' members register twice, in separate jurisdictions, in clear violation of the law.

And no one -- Democrat or Republican -- does a damned thing about it.
          My son is registered to vote in at least two states. He is still on the books here in Missouri although he has not lived here for years. I asked about it once at our voting place--the old folks running things could not tell me how to get him off the roles. I'd bet he is registered in Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and Texas as well as his current state. These are all places he lived and worked (oil man).

It's not like when one moves that one goes to the voter registration dept and says "take me off the rolls". However, I don't think he would be inclined to fly from state to state to vote on election day (although it would be to the conservatives benefit).

At any rate, you are saying that every time someone moves and re-registers that he should not--if he has registered somewhere else. That once one registers in a place and moves that he should always vote absentee ballot for his old home county? Yeah, right.
          Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
            My son is registered to vote in at least two states. He is still on the books here in Missouri although he has not lived here for years. I asked about it once at our voting place--the old folks running things could not tell me how to get him off the roles. I'd bet he is registered in Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, and Texas as well as his current state. These are all places he lived and worked (oil man).

It's not like when one moves that one goes to the voter registration dept and says "take me off the rolls". However, I don't think he would be inclined to fly from state to state to vote on election day (although it would be to the conservatives benefit).

At any rate, you are saying that every time someone moves and re-registers that he should not--if he has registered somewhere else. That once one registers in a place and moves that he should always vote absentee ballot for his old home county? Yeah, right.
            In Finland you have to contact the magistrate within 2 weeks or something of moving to a new address/state/country. Wrong address? Can't vote.
            Wisdom is personal

Comment

As the state goes towards the Left the propensity is to increase the ability to throw elections, use voter fraud, and in general cheat in political contests.

Comment

Hillary Clinton is very much against Voter ID and slammed Republicans for considering to implement this requirement nationwide.

June 07, 2015, 10:17 am
                Perry defends Texas voter ID law on heels of Clinton criticism

On Thursday, Clinton, considered the Democratic frontrunner for president, slammed her GOP rivals for “systematically and deliberately trying to stop millions of citizens from voting” through voting requirements they’ve pushed through in their states.

"I call on Republicans at all levels of government, with all manner of ambition to stop fear-mongering about a phantom epidemic of election fraud and start explaining why they are so scared of letting citizens have their say."
                http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...els-of-clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
                  http://www.capoliticalreview.com/cap...mit-they-vote/

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/campai...s-jim-geraghty

Again the question I would ask is why do we want to base our election districts on eligible voters and how to go about that without going into the voter registration rolls (which if we must believe these estimated figures of pollsters run between 13 to 25% of illegals). Either we must pay for a huge bureaucracy to check every registered voter and verify their “faked” documentation or base election districts on estimations and guesses. Should we put ICE to investigating voter rolls to find the illegals among them and eliminate those folks first?(Actually, I sort of like that idea). But it would pull them off of the borders and off the lines at the airports.

No matter what, the logistics of basing the election districts on eligible voters is going to be difficult and costly, will lead to lots of lawsuits about fairness, and create another bureaucracy.

If the Supreme Court does this, it will be an issue in the courts for decades, I believe.

I do have an issue with terms such as "our best guess", "estimates", and "varies depending on jurisdictions". This indicates to me that the setting of election districts will be quite subjective and inexact if they will be based on eligible voters--because determining the number of eligible voters will be difficult probably impossible.
                  We already pay for a huge bureaucracy to keep track of illegal voting, we also pay for another huge bureaucracy that is charged with controlling our borders, and another that is allegedly keeping track of and enforcing our immigration laws.
                  We The People have failed in our responsibility to demand of those we elect to carry out those missions they are hired to carry out!
                  It is our failure! We p,ace party loyalty above principle. Every one of us, both parties!
                  Bush placed his people in charge of the INS and instructed them to look the other way and not support the Border Patrol, and not to enforce immigration law.
                  We The People re-elected him. Republicans campaigned for him even though most of us did not agree with many of his policies, why?
                  Because "He" and "We" belonged to the same party!
                  We are ultimately to blame, every single one of us because when we vote, we leave our principals at home, hold our nose,band vote for the team.
                  We have to, we must regain control from the people who run the parties. The Carl Roves, the Jim Carvell's who be.ie e that accsess to the candidate is license to rule the country.
                  Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                  Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                    We already pay for a huge bureaucracy to keep track of illegal voting, we also pay for another huge bureaucracy that is charged with controlling our borders, and another that is allegedly keeping track of and enforcing our immigration laws.
                    What bureaucracy is that--that keeps track of illegal voting?

I don't think the county election board keeps track of much of anything. Like I say, every time we get our cards (which by the way serve as our ID cards)for the next election from the county board, our long absent son gets one also.

So who else might be running that bureaucracy than the county boards, or the state election boards?

What is the official federal agency that runs that? I thought each state set it's own rules and then it was up to the FEDs to see that election rights were not hurt. Of course, the Supreme Court has been messing with that, so it looks like things are going back to the individual states, not one massive bureaucracy.
                    Last edited by Jannie; 08 Jun 15, 17:55.
                    Homo homini lupus

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X