This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Schmart View Post

Honest to goodness, I might have even voted BQ if they had a candidate in my BC riding... I was impressed by Blanchet's sensibilities.
    Our beloved Bloc Quebecois \du Alberta got our heads handed to us in \Saint Pau\Cold Lake l\Bonnyville this week

\even our moms didn't vote for us...….
    The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
      Correct if I am mistaken, but I think that the BQ is a sovereigntist party and not a separatist party like the former Parti Quebecois. The PQ wanted to leave Canada while the BQ is happy to stay (but always puts Quebec priorities first.)
      It's called 'divorce with bedroom demands and responsibilities."
      My cartoon on it got - banned.....
      The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

• Originally posted by Schmart View Post

Honest to goodness, I might have even voted BQ if they had a candidate in my BC riding... I was impressed by Blanchet's sensibilities.
        I felt the same way about Gilles Duceppe when he was head of the BQ.

Comment

• 6431DFA6-4650-4A55-91F9-BD13AB09C3F5.jpeg

Comment

Correct if I am mistaken, but I think that the BQ is a sovereigntist party and not a separatist party like the former Parti Quebecois. The PQ wanted to leave Canada while the BQ is happy to stay (but always puts Quebec priorities first.)
            I think it's more that Quebecers are just tired of the talk about actual separation, and have shifted more for a strong Quebec voice federally, which is what the current BQ and it's current leader have tapped into.

Comment

• I live montreal , and speak both languages, separation is a dead issue at this time. that being said there is a 35% that will alway be separatis , however everyone else is happy with the way the economy is going. (quebec is booming ) . the reason the block got so many seats was the collapse of the NDP.

Comment

• Originally posted by bill shack View Post
                everyone else is happy with the way the economy is going. (quebec is booming ).
                There's the real crux of the matter: Life is good. In fact, Quebec is quite concerned about future labour shortages to fuel their economy. What a nice problem to have.
                ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                2) Enjoy playing it
                3) Enjoy sharing it
                4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

• Scheer has resigned maybe the Conservatives can win the next election with someone who isn’t as charismatic as toast but trying to satisfy Eastern voters is like trying to fill up a bottomless pit it never ends with their stupid demands.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6288286/a...r-resignation/

Comment

• Stephen Harper wasn't that much more charismatic than Scheer, yet he was able to form government.

I found Scheer and the Conservative party just so desperate to win that they would promise virtually anything to anyone, in hopes of victory. It made me wonder for what they really represented.
                    ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                    2) Enjoy playing it
                    3) Enjoy sharing it
                    4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Stephen Harper wasn't that much more charismatic than Scheer, yet he was able to form government.

I found Scheer and the Conservative party just so desperate to win that they would promise virtually anything to anyone, in hopes of victory. It made me wonder for what they really represented.
                      Unity,sanity and competence in government but that wasn’t good enough for Toronto,Quebec and most of the Atlantic Provinces they need more of Turdeaumania part 2

Comment

• A social conservative will never become PM in today’s Canada. Harper knew this, Scheer and his campaign staff did not. If the Conservatives are smart they’ll nominate someone from the Progressive wing like Lisa Raitt as the next leader. The last election was theirs to lose. And they did.

Comment

• The only qualification needed to lead Eastern Canadians is to be capable of leading a gay pride parade is what they showed us what they want for a leader instead of a mild capable social conservative
                          We’re not going to sell out again like Harper did if unity is ever important to the East they can make the effort and sell out their parties to win us over
                          The Independence movements in Alberta and Saskatchewan are just starting to warm up the longer we remain in Canada the worse off economically we’ll be and the more support for independence will happen unless the East can change enough minds here by not crippling our main industry anymore for their own vanity
                          Last edited by Snowshoveler; 12 Dec 19, 19:22.

Comment

• The problem is that the CPC is still mainly the Reform party. And no one outside of Alberta and Saskatchewan wants to vote for the Reform party. A progressive conservative party has a place in Canada. A social conservative party, well, no one is interested. This was Scheer's fundamental error in the last election: he spoke to the wrong people. The social conservatives were going to vote for him anyway. Where else were they going to go?

If the next leader of the Conservatives is another social conservative, well, let's just say the Liberals will be very happy.

It will be interesting to see if Ambrose takes the ambassador position or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by DingBat View Post
                              The problem is that the CPC is still mainly the Reform party. And no one outside of Alberta and Saskatchewan wants to vote for the Reform party. A progressive conservative party has a place in Canada. A social conservative party, well, no one is interested. This was Scheer's fundamental error in the last election: he spoke to the wrong people. The social conservatives were going to vote for him anyway. Where else were they going to go?

If the next leader of the Conservatives is another social conservative, well, let's just say the Liberals will be very happy.

It will be interesting to see if Ambrose takes the ambassador position or not.
                              The Liberals lost the popular vote a social conservative with more charisma and backbone can win more Eastern votes next time like Harper already did

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowshoveler View Post
                                The Liberals lost the popular vote a social conservative with more charisma and backbone can win more Eastern votes next time like Harper already did
                                Saying the Liberals lost the popular vote is accurate but doesn't take into account the reality of the Canadian political scene. The centrist left vote was split between 4 parties: Liberals, BQ, NDP, and Green The right/conservative vote was split between two parties Conservatives and Maxime Bernier"s PPC

Here are the numbers of votes cast for each party with percentages:
                                Liberals 5,915,590 33.1 %
                                Conservatives 6,155,662 34.4%
                                BQ 1,376,135 7.7 %
                                NDP 2,849,214 15.9 %
                                Green 1,162, 361 6.5%
                                Independent 75,836 .4%

So I'm going to be generous and say that all the independents voted PPC and place them as right leaning.
                                That gives the Conservatives and the PPC 6,231,498 votes (34.8% of the pop vote)
                                Adding up the other parties (left and centrist) gives you 11,303,300 (63.2% of pop vote)

So by a large margin Canadians voted for parties that were not aligned or thought of as having a social conservative aspect. And this was in election in which the incumbent PM had made serious missteps and had major baggage going into the election. However, there is no clear way to determine the spread of 'protest' votes against the Liberals that went to other parties including the Conservatives so again I'll be generous and say everyone who voted Conservative is a loyal party member and will vote the same in the next election no matter what.

If this pattern holds, and there isn't any reason why it shouldn't, if the Conservatives elect another social conservative as leader, the best they can hope for is a minority government.

Harper understood this and tamped down the SC message from his party when he was running. And in subsquent years Canadians as whole are becoming overall less receptive to SC messaging.

This is the reality of Canadian politics. Some Conservatives get this, some don't. The Conservatives as a single party won the popular vote but holding this up as a reason to stay the course and not make any changes ignores Trudeau's baggage and the reality of vote distribution. A party interested in forming a government cannot ignore this.

I'll be interested to see what John Baird's final report says and his recommendations.
                                Last edited by CarpeDiem; 16 Dec 19, 10:14.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X