Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCOTUS Rules That Muslim Women May Wear Hijabs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    ...at least his new name doesn't start with "K"...

    ...and Bruce Jenner can wear a dress if he wants to...
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
      BLAH BLAH BLAH JEWS BLAH BLAH BLAH JEWS
      WOULD YOU STOP STOP BRINGING JEWS INTO EVERY TOPIC? We get it, you don't like Jews. If you're going to continuously troll, at least move on to something else for crying out loud.
      The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
        Tell that to the 2 Sikhs on active duty.

        http://www.army.mil/article/36339/si...icles-of-faith

        Army has actually bounced around on this a lot.

        Back to the actual case the decision.

        http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...14-86_p86b.pdf

        The main opinion and in a concurring opinion were written by two of the three most conservative members of the court. This was an 8-1 decision, not a decision split along ideological lines.

        The law is simple:



        The key is undo hardship, which is why the Army CAN get away with it. If the religious practice makes it so you can perform the jobs function, that is an undo hardship.

        That is all settled law. The unique part is this case was Abercrombie's defense that since the woman did not ask for it they did not have to provide it.
        But actually looking at the law is hard. Why can't we just make blanket assumptions and snide comments about the woman in question and how she should just be quiet and accept illegal discrimination?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
          ...and Bruce Jenner can wear a dress if he wants to...
          Sure, but as long as you don't give that as a reason, you can turn him down to a job.

          The key to fair hiring is information control. Use a numbering system on the interview process with a required passing grade. Keep the categories vague and subjective. And above all rate with the group in mind, your the candidate you want gets the high score, and the ones you don't want to hire score far enough down that you don't hire them.

          "Why was I not hired?"

          "Because you were 5th on the hiring list, and we only had three openings."

          I've never understood why people demand to work in positions for which they are not wanted, and will not be welcomed nor valued. I guess its some sort of desperate need for attention. Probably the result of bad parenting.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
            ...and Bruce Jenner can wear a dress if he wants to...
            And he does.

            And he still looks like S!
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
              But actually looking at the law is hard. Why can't we just make blanket assumptions and snide comments about the woman in question and how she should just be quiet and accept illegal discrimination?
              Probably for the same reason you never seem to be able to grasp what we're actually talking about.

              "What we have heah is a failyah to comuuunicate."

              Cool Hand Luke
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]I am curious as to why A&F has to hire a model who openly displays her religion, however.
                Forgive me for pointing this out, but this post is a tad misleading. The plaintiff did not apply for a modelling job, but for a sales position.

                Monday’s opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia ruled in favor of Samantha Elauf, who wore a black head scarf to a 2008 job interview for a sales position at an Abercrombie & Fitch store in Oklahoma. She was turned away because managers feared her scarf would clash with the retailer’s image.

                In its defense, the company said it had a standard “look policy” for its sales staff that did not include wearing a head scarf.

                "Supreme Court sides with Muslim girl denied a job over head scarf," by David G Savage, Los Angeles Times, 1 Jun 2015
                As a model -- presumably appearing in advertisements and on runways -- I suspect that her employer is legally entitled to order her to remove her head covering, but not for a mundane sales job. That's my suspicion, at least.
                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                  Sure, but as long as you don't give that as a reason, you can turn him down to a job.

                  The key to fair hiring is information control. Use a numbering system on the interview process with a required passing grade. Keep the categories vague and subjective. And above all rate with the group in mind, your the candidate you want gets the high score, and the ones you don't want to hire score far enough down that you don't hire them.

                  "Why was I not hired?"

                  "Because you were 5th on the hiring list, and we only had three openings."

                  I've never understood why people demand to work in positions for which they are not wanted, and will not be welcomed nor valued. I guess its some sort of desperate need for attention. Probably the result of bad parenting.
                  In this case they had a very structured hiring process which rated those that applied. The person in questions ranked high and the Assistant manager doing the interview wanted to hire her. The candidate was told this.

                  However later the hiring manager wondered about the scarf so she ask the stores general manager who shrugged. She then went to the district manager and ask about her concerns. That person stated that she would not fit the 'look' they were after. They also discussed the fact that she was Muslim.

                  She was THEN told she would not be hired.

                  Once the case was filed the company had to come clean unless they wanted to ask the Assistant Manager, Manager and District manager to commit perjury when they had their statements taken etc.
                  “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                  “To talk of many things:
                  Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                  Of cabbages—and kings—
                  And why the sea is boiling hot—
                  And whether pigs have wings.”
                  ― Lewis Carroll

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                    In this case they had a very structured hiring process which rated those that applied. The person in questions ranked high and the Assistant manager doing the interview wanted to hire her. The candidate was told this.

                    However later the hiring manager wondered about the scarf so she ask the stores general manager who shrugged. She then went to the district manager and ask about her concerns. That person stated that she would not fit the 'look' they were after. They also discussed the fact that she was Muslim.

                    She was THEN told she would not be hired.

                    Once the case was filed the company had to come clean unless they wanted to ask the Assistant Manager, Manager and District manager to commit perjury when they had their statements taken etc.
                    Which goes back to my original post.

                    The district manager should have said "The scarf is immaterial. But I have concerns over this applicants overall qualifications as they relate to the other applicants. I don't believe she will be the best choice. Perhaps if we had more openings, but we don't"

                    Again, quit saying stuff that will look bad in court. How hard is it to understand?
                    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                      Which goes back to my original post.

                      The district manager should have said "The scarf is immaterial. But I have concerns over this applicants overall qualifications as they relate to the other applicants. I don't believe she will be the best choice. Perhaps if we had more openings, but we don't"

                      Again, quit saying stuff that will look bad in court. How hard is it to understand?
                      By the time it got to him it was to late. The applicant already new that the store wanted her. When they turned on a dime it was way to late. Retail positions don't typically take long to fill, you get a very good candidate you tell them OK right then. Otherwise they are out the door and hired by someone else.
                      “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                      “To talk of many things:
                      Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                      Of cabbages—and kings—
                      And why the sea is boiling hot—
                      And whether pigs have wings.”
                      ― Lewis Carroll

                      Comment

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X